G

greg

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi. &nbsp;I live on the third floor of a condo building and recently bought a home theater system and am loving it. &nbsp;Unfortunately I have a very strong desire to keep turning the volume up, but at the same time I want to try and avoid hatred from the people below me. &nbsp;The subwoofer I have is the Klipsch ksw-12 which is a down-firing sub. &nbsp;My room is carpeted and does a good job of keeping the sound in, but I was thinking of moving the sub off the floor onto a small table with a carpet on it to try and reduce the sub pounding into the ground. &nbsp;Will this have a large negative impact on the sound of the sub? &nbsp;Will this idea even help anything or is there a better way of going about this short of lining the floor with lead? &nbsp;Thanks for your help.
-Greg</font>

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
greg

I have done crazy experiments like this before, what I found was an increase in the sub bass, where a film like Aliens was pounding the floor with a jaw slamming jolt.:D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Raising the sub up on top of a table isn't going to do anything as far as reducing the bass felt by the downstairs neighbors.

Auralex makes a sub platform called the 'SubDude' (and another one that is the same thing with a different name that I can't recall at the moment). That may help a tiny little bit but in general it's next to impossible to stop low frequency sound waves from going through the walls and floors without doing actual construction modifications.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have you considered adding some motion actuators to your couch? They make your seating vibrate so you can feel the bass. That way you could turn the sub down and not feel like you were missing as much.

Jack

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
greg said:
<font color='#000000'>Hi. &nbsp;I live on the third floor of a condo building and recently bought a home theater system and am loving it. &nbsp;Unfortunately I have a very strong desire to keep turning the volume up, but at the same time I want to try and avoid hatred from the people below me. &nbsp;The subwoofer I have is the Klipsch ksw-12 which is a down-firing sub. &nbsp;My room is carpeted and does a good job of keeping the sound in, but I was thinking of moving the sub off the floor onto a small table with a carpet on it to try and reduce the sub pounding into the ground. &nbsp;Will this have a large negative impact on the sound of the sub? &nbsp;Will this idea even help anything or is there a better way of going about this short of lining the floor with lead? &nbsp;Thanks for your help.
-Greg</font>

MDS has it correct. You will not be able to reduce the LF effect traveling to neighbors other than the volume control, or renting a single family house without zero lot lines:D

looney tunes

Audiophyte
loud bass

This is my first reply on this site .. when I lived on a upper floor i used a piece of 1/2 thick marble about 3 inches bigger than my candence 12 inch box and I got no more notes on my door from the neighbors down stairs..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis