LotR Extended Editions - best picture quality?

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I'm just curious if the EEs offer the greatest overall picture and sound compared to the "standard" LotR releases. I've resisted purchasing any of the movies so far in order to get them all in a trilogy pack. I know they are in DTS, but I'd just like to know if the picture is improved over the "standard".

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
First off, I would worry more about whether or not you want the extra content. The extended versions are, in the opinion of myself and most others, the true and complete versions. Only if you are a theatre purist should you buy the theatrical versions.

That being said, supposedly the extended versions are better mastered, but I've never seen them side-by-side as I only have interest in the complete movies. I can say, though, that the picture quality of the first 2 extended movies is as good as, or better than, anything else I've ever seen on DVD.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
And now, having finally done the butt-numbing, bedsore-inducing marathon viewing of all 3 extended versions in a row...

I can honestly say that ROTK:XT is the benchmark by which all other DVDs should be measured. After getting past the New Line logo (which does not do well in MPEG-land) I never once stopped enjoying the movie because of less-than-stellar presentation.

On a purely technical level, I doubt this disc will be surpassed before we see some HD action.

E

Engine Joe

Junior Audioholic
I believe the Extended Editions have superior visuals to the Theatrical DVDs because (so I hear), there was less compression needed on the EEs due to spreading out the movie over two discs. Even with the additional footage and the four audio commentaries (plus various other mixes of the soundtrack), I understand there was more room available on each disc of the EE:DVDs than on the one disc for the TE:DVDs. So they used less compression, and viola!

So they say.

S

Seismo

Enthusiast
Engine Joe said:
I believe the Extended Editions have superior visuals to the Theatrical DVDs because (so I hear), there was less compression needed on the EEs due to spreading out the movie over two discs. Even with the additional footage and the four audio commentaries (plus various other mixes of the soundtrack), I understand there was more room available on each disc of the EE:DVDs than on the one disc for the TE:DVDs. So they used less compression, and viola!

So they say.
I completly agree with you Engine Joe, but to me all 3 movies were not all equal for the video quality. In my setup anyway, I rank them in the following order;

1-The Fellowship of the rings
2)The return of the King
3)The two Towers

That's just me, :)

Seismo

R

ripsid

Audiophyte
I'm guessing this maybe be just me, but I goto sound setup and try to get it to play 6.1 and I get nothing! I put my receiver to NTS (onkyo tx-sr501) and the poop don't work. :confused: Anyone else have that?

SID

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
First Off I LOVE LOTR 1&2&3, but I think the special edition was better(pic/sound).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis