losing dolby sound with DVR

L

lindeman

Audiophyte
I have a motorola dvr stb (6412) and a Pioneer surround sound receiver (vsx-515) . I just switched from a dvi stb to a hdmi stb to be consistent with my tv.

No problems when I am watching live tv. But when I watch anything replayed on the dvr, I lose dolby. If I disconnect the hdmi cable from stb to tv, the dolby comes back when watching dvr. I know that hdmi is audio, while dvi was video only. But I cannot figure out why it would only happen durring dvr replay.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

T

Tritonman

Junior Audioholic
lindeman said:
I have a motorola dvr stb (6412) and a Pioneer surround sound receiver (vsx-515) . I just switched from a dvi stb to a hdmi stb to be consistent with my tv.

No problems when I am watching live tv. But when I watch anything replayed on the dvr, I lose dolby. If I disconnect the hdmi cable from stb to tv, the dolby comes back when watching dvr. I know that hdmi is audio, while dvi was video only. But I cannot figure out why it would only happen durring dvr replay.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter
HDMI is audio and video and yields the same video quality of DVI. Is there a particular reason why you are using HDMI and DVI?

If you are using DVI for video to your tv and an optical or coaxial connection to your receiver for Doly Digital than the HDMI connection is not needed. There does not need to be an audio connection to your tv if you are using your receiver for sound.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sound from cable box

It sounds like on live TV, your cable box is outputing audio over the digital coax or optical cable to your receiver. When playing from the DVR, you only get audio over the HDMI cable.
Check for a seperate digital coax or optical output from your DVR that you can connect to your receiver?

L

lindeman

Audiophyte
Thanks to the two folks who answered. There is an optical connection from DVR to receiver and HDMI from DVR to tv. Have the HDMI to TV because I occasionally listen to sound from the tv without the receiver. I know I could just go back to the DVI between DVR (means a different box) and the tv and run a separate audio cable, but I just want to know why the HDMI connection is eliminating Dolby in the playback mode (as opposed to live).

Thanks,
Peter

J

jake51s

Junior Audioholic
I have a similar problem between my Pioneer Tivo and a cheap Kenwood reciever I am using until I get something else. I am using an optical cable too, but no HDMI.

If I have any sort of processing on like Prologic and switch to the Tivo menu, the Tivo then sends out a Dolby Digital signal (I think). When I switch to the TV the receiver loses the Dolby Digital signal and defaults to 2ch stereo. I have to hit the button to put it back in Prologic. I haven't figured out a way around this yet.

jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
Does your DVR stb have a switch to select audio output? Maybe during playback it's trying to send the audio via the HDMI(?), then when you disonnect it, it re-routes sound to your receiver connection. That's all I could think of. I hope it helps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis