Looking to upgrade older onkyo 3008 AVR for Atmos and 4k possibilities

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Have Def Tech bp7006 as front wides, elevated already would like to know if I can use them as height speakers

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Thank you and ahead of time for all your timely advice. I have the Onkyo TX Nr3008 since 2011, I just love this receiver but I know it's time to upgrade and I want to get into the atmos game and also the 4K Arena I have a Panasonic gt50 Plasma 60in also for my fronts is my Def Tech BP ST8060, Center channel Def Tech Mythos 3, surrounds are Def Tech Pro monitor 800. And one back Channel Def Tech Pro monitor 800. Also two Subs Svs PB 1000 and Klipsch 10in pro sub. So that gives me 8.2 also running 2 Crown amps 1502 for the front's and 1002 for center channel and surround back. The sound is amazing, My surrounds an the surround back channels are elevated about 8 feet over the back part of my listening position, my total listening area is a 28 by 42. And calibrated by Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. I was thinking of retiring NR3008, and maybe get X6500 or Sr8012.( Future-proof ) my thinking for. What I want to know could I use my BP 8006 for front Heights or would that be front Atmos channe? They already sit elevated about 2 ft off the off the floor (Table Stands). Any and all advice needed thanks!

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That center looks overmatched with the front towers. I would spend money upgrading that as one of the top priorities. The front 3 are the most important speakers.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Already on top of it, going to get the CS9060 next week. B&H Photo has a killer deal going right now.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
By the way I forgot about the rest of the system I have a PS3 also in Oppo Blu-ray player 103, Monster Power HDP 2400 Power Conditioner, and the T9 Aircom fan cooler.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Okay so the Atmos configurations will want the sides and rears at or just above ear height.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Looking at my room configuration I'm wondering if that is possible since my back is open, the only place you can put speakers is up high and on my sides I can go ear level on the right but on the left as you can see it's open any suggestions.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Some would move 7006 towers to sides and do DT towers or DT bookshelves on stands for rears and keep a pair of 800s as rear height at 8ft and put two matching in front at 8ft as front height. An Atmos receiver can call rear and front heights for atmos if positioned up high. (Yamaha has this option). However, I haven’t heard it that way before so it may be a serious compromise over ceiling speakers, but the only ceiling speakers I have seen work in a space like that are the JBL pendent speakers that hang like cords down from high ceilings to bring the 4 Atmos speakers above you at 8 or 9 ft.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
Interested different concept but interesting putting the 7006s to the side and the 8060 to the rear and what getting another pair of 8060s or maybe the 9060s for the fronts. Keeping the 800's for heights.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Interested different concept but interesting putting the 7006s to the side and the 8060 to the rear and what getting another pair of 8060s or maybe the 9060s for the fronts. Keeping the 800's for heights.
It’s worth checking on Craigslist for older DT towers if you are thinking that direction.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
What do you think about the AVR which one should I go with,? or could I stay with you 3008 because it does have height speakers let's see option front height or width front.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What do you think about the AVR which one should I go with,? or could I stay with you 3008 because it does have height speakers let's see option front height or width front.
I would change receivers only when you go to a 4K display but others may not agree. :)

If you want Atmos with height speakers or otherwise, then yes an Atmos AVR is needed.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want Atmos you'll need to change avr, the 3008 can't do it, many current avrs can do Atmos and 4K. Height speakers that the 3008 can handle aren't the same as Atmos channels.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
What is your advice? and what AVR would you recommend. I already looked Marantz 7012, and the Denon X6500

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is your advice? and what AVR would you recommend. I already looked Marantz 7012, and the Denon X6500
I like the Denons but if the Marantz were priced right it would be in the running. I'd also consider slightly older avrs (like the 4400/6400 for Denon) unless you're looking for something in particular in the 6500 that they don't have.

Just took a look at your pictures, where is your primary seating? How high are the ceilings in that room?

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern
I'm sorry but my granddaughter was running around, sitting in the seat and I didn't want to take a picture of the seating at the time. But ii sit about 12 ft 12 to 14 ft from the front speakers, home theater seats. it's at high cealing slanted ceiling may be about 15 20 ft.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis