Looking to understand how to have stereo sound from speakers

A

AndrewJSH

Audiophyte
Hello,

Very much a newbie here so pretend I'm a 5th grader. I've dabbled just enough to be dangerous.

My specific situation is this: I'm using a Zoom u-44 interface and a Fosi amplifier. I have a 1/4" out from the L main out on the interface to a RCA plugs into the Fosi. The amplifier has two speaker outputs and I've connected the speaker wire from each to my 2 speakers. I'm only getting one speaker to play (at a time, have switched the wires to check if it was speakers or amplifier issue).

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but I figured because I have the Y split to a Land R RCA input that I could then send stereo out to L and R speakers.

Am I wrong and I will only always get mono because the output is mono?

Thanks for any input

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

Very much a newbie here so pretend I'm a 5th grader. I've dabbled just enough to be dangerous.

My specific situation is this: I'm using a Zoom u-44 interface and a Fosi amplifier. I have a 1/4" out from the L main out on the interface to a RCA plugs into the Fosi. The amplifier has two speaker outputs and I've connected the speaker wire from each to my 2 speakers. I'm only getting one speaker to play (at a time, have switched the wires to check if it was speakers or amplifier issue).

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but I figured because I have the Y split to a Land R RCA input that I could then send stereo out to L and R speakers.

Am I wrong and I will only always get mono because the output is mono?

Thanks for any input
You don't need a Y connector. You connect the left main out of the interface to the left in of the Fosi, and the right main out to the right in of the Fosi.

A

AndrewJSH

Audiophyte
So I need (2) 1/4" to RCA cables and then only use one of each RCA plugs on each cable?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I need (2) 1/4" to RCA cables and then only use one of each RCA plugs on each cable?
Yes, you need two cables, one for the left and one for the right. One will carry the left signal and the other the right. If you mix them you will have mono, and if you only use one output you will have only left or right. In stereo left and right signals are discrete once they are in the analog domain.

A

AndrewJSH

Audiophyte
Ok thank you. I tried to exhaust what I tried with the cables I had, but you have confirmed that I wasn't thinking about stereo sound correctly.

Appreciate it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis