Looking to put in some stadium seating

E

ebrius

Enthusiast
I was looking to add some stadium seating to my living room and I have two questions. First, I figure I should describe what I plan it do. I'm planing of elevating my current couch between 1 and 3 feet up, putting a small step in front of it, and then have either a sofa or love seat in front of that.

1) Would it be a good idea to put my sub beneath the top couch? If I do put in the seating, there really won't be much room for it since its not shielded, but I'm afraid if I put it under the couch, to much of the sound will be absorbed, I was thinking that I could leave the enclosure open on the front and maybe the sides, but I'm not sure if enough of the sound would get out. I use the sub for both movies and music

2)If I was to add bass shakers to the setup, and #1 is possible, could I keep my sub under the couch?

Thanks in advance

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
No, you should look to place the sub at its optimum position in the room then add bass shakers to the furniture for extra impact. There are a variety of options (from the inexpensive ones that PE sells) to the ButtKicker.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Subs should only go under seating IF you have another sub up front. You would be better off keeping your current sub in the front stage and using buttkickers under the seating. Plus for music, a sub under the seats or even near them doesn't sound that good IMO.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
ebrius said:
First, I figure I should describe what I plan it do. I'm planing of elevating my current couch between 1 and 3 feet up, putting a small step in front of it, and then have either a sofa or love seat in front of that.

Be careful how high you have the 2nd row. Certainly if it is more than 14" you will need more steps. Don't skimp on steps, too narrow, too high, or you will have accidents. Yes, you can break bones from those heights when you fall unexpectedly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis