looking to improve the bass output

S

STEELHEART

Audioholic Intern
hey guys,

I have an old pair of KLH towers model#7701, they are
a 3 way design consisting of tweeter, mid and a 12 inch woofer w/a12 inch passive radiator, now the bass output
leaves something to be desired considerably, the only way i can get a decent amount of bass outta these is to turn up my receiver or push the loudness button on. the towers have no acoustic damping material in them their hollow
and they are sealed so i was thinking of putting acousta stuff or something similar in them to see if the bass improves.also i was thinking of making them ported to see if that helps too. i will be grateful to anyone who can help me.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Stuffing them with Acoustastuff might improve the sound, but it's unlikely to increase bass output significantly. Porting them might, but it's not a simple operation. You'll need to use some type of bass box program to do some calculations, and even then you'd need to get the T/S parameters for the woofer (which means you might need the ability to actually measure it for yourself). You can't expect much if you add a randomly sized port with an arbitrary lenght.

You'd probably be better off buying new speakers or augmenting your system with a subwoofer. Parts Express has a pretty decent one for just over $100, and there are several under $200 that should be a major improvement over your towers alone.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
STEELHEART said:
hey guys,

a 3 way design consisting of tweeter, mid and a 12 inch woofer w/a12 inch passive radiator, now the bass output
leaves something to be desired considerably, the only way i can get a decent amount of bass outta these is to turn up my receiver or push the loudness button on. the towers have no acoustic damping material in them their hollow
and they are sealed so i was thinking of putting acousta stuff or something similar in them to see if the bass improves.also i was thinking of making them ported to see if that helps too. i will be grateful to anyone who can help me.
What receiver (make/model) do you have? Where are the speakers sitting (how far from a corner)?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
STEELHEART said:
hey guys,

Get yourself a good sub, period. Don't agonize over how to fix the speakers you have. It will not work.
Think SVS.

A

Azz123

Junior Audioholic
Hi Steel.

Have to agree with MTRYCRAFTS - no matter what you do, the speaker either has the capability or it doesnt..

A dedicated sub is the answer. Im sure by the time you invest X amount of money and time playing with porting and most likely not do yourself or the speakers to much favour you will have been most of the way to getting a decent economy priced sub. Or have made a considerable dent in getting something decent (Sub).
Al I can suggest for the time being is that if your current amp has Bass Management settings that you make sure your speakers are set to LARGE, NO is the setting for Subwoofer, and LFE is set to front if thats an option.

Placement - In theory if the speakers are placed in corners, they are going to deliver the best bass response possible..

Best of luck, and go that sub!! You wont be disapointed!!

Aaron

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Another vote for a sub.

Odds are that they did optimize the cabinet/driver relationship during the design of the system. Doubt you'll gain much improvment by porting it. A change, yes but improvement is another story.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis