Looking to buy a av receiver

M

Mulley2472

Enthusiast
I am looking at starting to build a surround sound system in a basement I am going to be finishing. I figured first thing is first I need to find a decent receiver. What recommendations are out there? I am looking at spending about 500.00 and my intention is to hook up a 5.1 speaker system to it along with a tv and DVD player.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
look at the 2 threads I started a week ago on the Denon and Yamaha both GREAT and very cheap considering.

M

Mulley2472

Enthusiast
I looked back at your postings and I didn't see any that mention denon?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Denon or Yamaha gets my vote at $500. Maybe EMO Fusion as a dark horse candidate if you don't need bells and whistles.

M

Mulley2472

Enthusiast
Denon or Yamaha gets my vote at $500. Maybe EMO Fusion as a dark horse candidate if you don't need bells and whistles.
I found a good deal 299.99 on a Sony str-dh750. Thoughts?

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
I wouldn't consider it.

If the budget is modest, perhaps you should look into a used receiver. End-of-lines are easy to find at this time of year and great bargains can be found on flagship and mid-level receivers. 500$ on a Harman or Denon will get you far better value for your dollar, IMO.

A Used Harman AVR2600 or AVR3600 could also be an excellent value (Firmware upgrade brings HDMI up to 1.4a specs) Both can likely be found for the same price as that Sony, or lower, and yet, yield much better performance and flexibility.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Avoid Onkyo's my friends have had a lot of issues with theirs.

P

PDXReds1990

Audiophyte
Instead of just starting a new thread, I'll just post my question here. Which is better for straight listening pleasure? The Denon AVR-E400 or the Yamaha RX-V477? I am running two Polk TSI 500 speakers. First set up, so I am trying to get the most sound for my buck. Not so much interested in video.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis