Looking to add ceiling speakers for dolby atmos in my new home. On a budget.

L

LikeItCheapShane

Enthusiast
Hey guys I'm back with more questions!

I'm having a home Being built and I'm going to have wires ran to the back of the room for my rear speaker and some ceiling mounted atmos speakers. Two things. I was looking at Polk audio rc80i for the ceiling and Polk audio rc85i wall mounted speaker for the rears.

I have read a lot about how wall mounted speakers dont sound the best considering they are not in cabinets and are open into the wall. But will these be sufficient for surround speaker... will they do the job. Will still keep my klipsch towers for when I want to blast music in stereo.

Also any input on the ceiling mounted speakers would be great, if the 8" polks would be over kill or should do the job nicely etc...

Thanks in advance guys.

Ps. I did listen to you guy from the last post and went with the denon 3400 over the pioneer elite I was looking at and love it!

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I run 4 Polk Audio MC60s and they are fine. These often go on sale, and were easy to install. They have paintable grills.

L

LikeItCheapShane

Enthusiast
I run 4 Polk Audio MC60s and they are fine. These often go on sale, and were easy to install. They have paintable grills.
If you was to do it again would you go with them? Also do you only use them for the Dolby atmos or do you use them for music also?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I can afford to buy more expensive speakers, but typically look for value. When I bought these MC60s I was concerned I'd find them lacking, and if so I was prepared to replace them. Fortunately, they work just fine. I do use them for music, but not on their own as I have them in a 5.2.4 setup (actually it's a 7.2.4 but I don't have an amplifier for the last pair of rear speakers yet in that room. The receiver in this room is a Denon AVR-X4400H which has 9 channels of amplification but can process 11 channels plus the two sub outputs.).

If you like I could try them in Multi Ch Stereo and advise how they sound without the influence of the other speakers.

L

LikeItCheapShane

Enthusiast
Thank you for the input, that's pretty much my stance going into to this. I could afford something more expensive but would rather not if u could get away with these. I actually have to sets of brand new Polk bookshelves that I originally purchased for my 7.1 system, but once construction started going up i thought it would be nice to hide all wires and the rear speakers and set in the ceiling speakers for the Dolby atmos. With that being said I would only be using the ceiling speakers for home theater considering when I listen to music I play it in 2 channels using my klipsch towers. You think I should still go with the mc80s or drop down to the mc60?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Although I've had my new setup for a while now, I have been too busy to get right into it as much as I'd like. However, the basic difference between the two models is the 1.5 inch larger woofer in the mc80s goes to 50-20,000 Hz (-3dB) versus 60-20,000 Hz (-3dB) for the mc60s. My Denon AVR-X4400H Receiver when running Audyssey sets the mc60s to 110 Hz (even after repeated runs) and they sound fine. I doubt that the extra for the mc80s would even be noticeable in an Atmos ceiling install.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis