Looking for Subwoofer Suggestions for HT Room (WiP)

C

Chad Gerkin

Audiophyte
I meant to say " i guess that Jlaudio isn't, bang for your buck but either way u don't know much about Subs, or u wouldnt bad talk Jlaudio. And u go to an audio video store specifically, or u wont even find a sub that fits the bill.
And im done arguing my points about this matter also. Good Day Sir!!!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I meant to say " i guess that Jlaudio isn't, bang for your buck but either way u don't know much about Subs, or u wouldnt bad talk Jlaudio. And u go to an audio video store specifically, or u wont even find a sub that fits the bill.
The F113v2 is a fine sub for sure, but bang for the buck it is not. $5k for a sealed 13"?
Not even close "best bang for your buck"
Where did anyone bad talk them? I see no evidence of "bad talk," unless you count your atrocious grammar.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Thinking about my own preferences and the feedback here, I’ve narrowed down to ported subs, which offer dsp for variations of port plugging.
From some of the reviews I’ve seen, the monolith 15” THX ported looks to be one of the best bang for buck, however there seems to be considerable qa issues with their subs. It seems to offer better performance compared to the PB-3000 at the same price point.

I’m trying to find review of the HSU VTF 15 MK2 to compare to the monolith & pb-3000. Has anyone experienced and compared these subs?

Edit: Another question, adding another sub would result in increasing output? But not the lowest frequency the sub/s could goto correct?

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Not really, auditions won't tell you a lot in most store situations. JL is not bang for the buck unless you highly value small and pretty.
That's something to value, small, pretty, and good. :)

JackstrawfromWichita

JackstrawfromWichita

Enthusiast
Frankly I don’t know if I’ll understand how to change any settings which would positively affect me, at least not in the near term. If we don’t count that as a factor, which other specs I should consider as factors towards price difference.

thank you.
Yep....that is why I like the app for simply the ease of turning the sub gain up or down, and using the presets as a starting point. This said, this is certainly NOT "the" reason to choose a sub, however there are other features to use in the app that I fully don't understand yet, and will get to. Because my subs back up to the wall, I cant easily fiddle with them....the app takes that out of the equation...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thinking about my own preferences and the feedback here, I’ve narrowed down to ported subs, which offer dsp for variations of port plugging.
From some of the reviews I’ve seen, the monolith 15” THX ported looks to be one of the best bang for buck, however there seems to be considerable qa issues with their subs. It seems to offer better performance compared to the PB-3000 at the same price point.

I’m trying to find review of the HSU VTF 15 MK2 to compare to the monolith & pb-3000. Has anyone experienced and compared these subs?

Edit: Another question, adding another sub would result in increasing output? But not the lowest frequency the sub/s could goto correct?
I have used all of those subs. They are all very good. They all have a similar level of performance. The Monolith is the most competent among those subs for deep bass. It will have the strongest and cleanest performance from 16Hz to 25Hz. Its output above that range is absolutely squeaky clean too. The VTF-15h mk2 and PB-3000 do have a bit more mid-bass headoom, so stuff above 40Hz. The PB-3000 gives up a bit of extension versus the VTF-15h mk2 which has a flat response down to 16Hz. The PB-3000 doesn't try to go quite that low.

The PB-3000 is easiest to handle, since it's lighter and a bit more compact than the VTF15h mk2 and Monolith 15". I can actually lift that one up and carry it around myself. The VTF15h mk2 is more cumbersome, it can be walked around in place pretty easily, but you will need two people to lift it safely. With two people, the VTF15h mk2 is easy to lift around. The Monolith 15" is very difficult to handle. Two people are absolutely required to lift it around. You can walk it around, but even that is not easy. You will want furniture sliders for that. The feet are small and don't give your fingers much clearance, and I consider that a hazard in a 130lbs+ unit.

You are correct about adding more of the same subs, they will add headroom but not really any low-frequency extension.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
I have used all of those subs. They are all very good. They all have a similar level of performance. The Monolith is the most competent among those subs for deep bass. It will have the strongest and cleanest performance from 16Hz to 25Hz. Its output above that range is absolutely squeaky clean too. The VTF-15h mk2 and PB-3000 do have a bit more mid-bass headoom, so stuff above 40Hz. The PB-3000 gives up a bit of extension versus the VTF-15h mk2 which has a flat response down to 16Hz. The PB-3000 doesn't try to go quite that low.

The PB-3000 is easiest to handle, since it's lighter and a bit more compact than the VTF15h mk2 and Monolith 15". I can actually lift that one up and carry it around myself. The VTF15h mk2 is more cumbersome, it can be walked around in place pretty easily, but you will need two people to lift it safely. With two people, the VTF15h mk2 is easy to lift around. The Monolith 15" is very difficult to handle. Two people are absolutely required to lift it around. You can walk it around, but even that is not easy. You will want furniture sliders for that. The feet are small and don't give your fingers much clearance, and I consider that a hazard in a 130lbs+ unit.

You are correct about adding more of the same subs, they will add headroom but not really any low-frequency extension.
Thank you so much for your thoughts, this is what I was looking for.

Price wise is seems the HSU gets to $1142 with extended warranty and shipping. The monprice drops to $1200 + taxes w/ 5 yr warranty. PB-3000 also drops down to $1250-$1200+tax w5yr warranty. Its a pickle. The only issue I’m finding with the PB-3000 is that it’s port plugging has either all or none option, no hybrid like the the Monolith or VTF, which seems like the general sweet spot for these subs. One plus on the HSU is the analog amplifier, which I’m not sure if it makes any difference with modern receivers, maybe it can be considered more agile?

I’m wondering if there are better feet available for the monoprice.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you so much for your thoughts, this is what I was looking for.

Price wise is seems the HSU gets to $1142 with extended warranty and shipping. The monprice drops to $1200 + taxes w/ 5 yr warranty. PB-3000 also drops down to $1250-$1200+tax w5yr warranty. Its a pickle. The only issue I’m finding with the PB-3000 is that it’s port plugging has either all or none option, no hybrid like the the Monolith or VTF, which seems like the general sweet spot for these subs. One plus on the HSU is the analog amplifier, which I’m not sure if it makes any difference with modern receivers, maybe it can be considered more agile?

I’m wondering if there are better feet available for the monoprice.
The analog amp means that the distance setting that will be read by the AVR calibration will be the actual distance. DSP amps tend to add some delay, and so that has to be compensated for in the system calibration.

SVS has isolation feet available as a subwoofer accessory which has different threaded screws to fit a variety of different subs. The SVS isolation feet pack to get is the 6 feet pack since the Monolith 15" has 6 feet. If you can get the feet screw hole threading information from Monoprice, you can buy some regular feet since the subwoofer feet don't have to be anything fancy.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
While I have been waiting for the subs to go on sale. I’ve been considering, for my 1600 cubic feet space, maybe two HSU VTF3 MK5 HP should be enough, they seem to have the same driver as their flagship, similar 600 watt amp, similar performance, and goes down to 16hz comes to about $1000 shipped with extended warranty. I feel it might be enough for my space, specially when I can add a 2nd one eventually, compared to the PB-3000 and the Monolith 15” saves about $300-$350 on a single sub, and $500-$600 for a pair.

I feel the VTF3 might be more then enough for my space. I’d appreciate thoughts on this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the VTF 3 mk5 would work very well in that room...almost mentioned it before but you seemed set on the 15H....then again in a fairly small room all your considerations would do well I'd think.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
I think the VTF 3 mk5 would work very well in that room...almost mentioned it before but you seemed set on the 15H....then again in a fairly small room all your considerations would do well I'd think.
I agree, I think I was looking at it the wrong way, my need doesn’t really require a big sub. That said, between this and the other comparable subs from this list

Which one goes the lowest of these. Some incorrect info here - VTF-3 has 600 w amp in their listing.

04CA0980-8427-47B0-BDAC-95BE1FC3A511.jpeg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, I think I was looking at it the wrong way, my need doesn’t really require a big sub. That said, between this and the other comparable subs from this list

Which one goes the lowest of these. Some mis info here - VTF-3 has 600 w amp in their listing.

View attachment 43909
From the specs the SVS, Hsu and Rythmik are close, the rest higher but not far off in the case of the Monolith but are they all at the same spl? What are their capabilities at higher spl? The amp rating tells you very little without information on the sensitivity of the system, tho. Personally I'd go with the Hsu VTF-3mk5....

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
This just dropped to $999

where does this compare to in the foray of the subs we have talked about in the thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's more like a Hsu ULS-15 since it's sealed. At the deep discount maybe, but Rel IMO tends to be overpriced and underperforming. Personally I'd go with Hsu.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
It's more like a Hsu ULS-15 since it's sealed. At the deep discount maybe, but Rel IMO tends to be overpriced and underperforming. Personally I'd go with Hsu.
Thank you, I’m skipping it.

There is a couple other subs that I’ve not really focused on are the Rythimik and the PSA, the one in my price range are FVX15 @ $1200 (400W RMS w/ 15” driver) & PSA V1512DF 15” driver w/ 960W rms @$1200.

The PSA site gives EQ options Anti-Mode 8033-II & Anti- mode dual core 2.0. I have no idea what that means but either of those options increase the price considerably. I don’t see the option of variable tuning on the PSA, it only has the one port I think. What are your views on those? On paper the Rythmik seems lacking power on the amp compared to everyone else.
At the $1200 point I feel maybe the monolith is the best of all.

At the $1000 point, the VTF3 (15” driver w/ 600w rms) looks really good, things it looses compared to the VTF15 are XLR inputs and pass through it seems, output looks very similar. Plus adding a 2nd sub gets cheaper too. There is also the Monolith 12” w/ 500w rms, @$860 shipped (drops to 16hz 101.9db with one port open at 2m) and the PB2000- Pro $960 shipped 12” driver w/ 550w rms) however from the chart that they have it seems it falls down faster below the 20hz Mark then the Monolith 12”. It has eq for sealed only. Last one in similar range is VTF2 12” w/ 350W rms it does seem to have better low end extension then the SVS 16hz @ 105.6 1m at $800 shipped.
If I go for the $1200/$1000 range I won’t be adding a 2nd sub for at least a year, at the $800 I could do it sooner. Which sub would be the best fit of these.

I think for each price range these are the best options @800 Monolith 12”, @1000 VTF3, @1200 Monolith 15”. Opinions/ suggestions. I think this is the closest I’ve been to finalizing, never read so much about subs haha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you, I’m skipping it.

There is a couple other subs that I’ve not really focused on are the Rythimik and the PSA, the one in my price range are FVX15 @ $1200 (400W RMS w/ 15” driver) & PSA V1512DF 15” driver w/ 960W rms @$1200.

The PSA site gives EQ options Anti-Mode 8033-II & Anti- mode dual core 2.0. I have no idea what that means but either of those options increase the price considerably. I don’t see the option of variable tuning on the PSA, it only has the one port I think. What are your views on those? On paper the Rythmik seems lacking power on the amp compared to everyone else.
At the $1200 point I feel maybe the monolith is the best of all.

At the $1000 point, the VTF3 (15” driver w/ 600w rms) looks really good, things it looses compared to the VTF15 are XLR inputs and pass through it seems, output looks very similar. Plus adding a 2nd sub gets cheaper too. There is also the Monolith 12” w/ 500w rms, @$860 shipped (drops to 16hz 101.9db with one port open at 2m) and the PB2000- Pro $960 shipped 12” driver w/ 550w rms) however from the chart that they have it seems it falls down faster below the 20hz Mark then the Monolith 12”. It has eq for sealed only. Last one in similar range is VTF2 12” w/ 350W rms it does seem to have better low end extension then the SVS 16hz @ 105.6 1m at $800 shipped.
If I go for the $1200/$1000 range I won’t be adding a 2nd sub for at least a year, at the $800 I could do it sooner. Which sub would be the best fit of these.

I think for each price range these are the best options @800 Monolith 12”, @1000 VTF3, @1200 Monolith 15”. Opinions/ suggestions. I think this is the closest I’ve been to finalizing, never read so much about subs haha.
You must be getting a bit weary of sub research by now :). I couldn't tell you how useful the hybrid type subs are with dsp to help out, never had one but seems many do like the flexibility it offers. The VTF3 is still the one I'd go with of what you're listing....altho if there's some doubts maybe starting off with SVS with their particularly great return policy.....

ps As to the Anti-mode unit, considered one many years back, they seem to work but probably not going to be much different than simply using Audyssey.

Last edited:
I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
You must be getting a bit weary of sub research by now :). I couldn't tell you how useful the hybrid type subs are with dsp to help out, never had one but seems many do like the flexibility it offers. The VTF3 is still the one I'd go with of what you're listing....altho if there's some doubts maybe starting off with SVS with their particularly great return policy.....

ps As to the Anti-mode unit, considered one many years back, they seem to work but probably not going to be much different than simply using Audyssey.
Indeed I’m haha, I’m just ready to pull the trigger, but just can’t decide.

I noticed the VTF3 has its number at the 16hz mark at 1 m 108, vs the 101.8 at 2m for the monolith 12”.Is there a way to normalize this, what would the reading be at 2m for the VTF3?

I also read the VTF 15 can drop down to 12-13 Hz compared to the VTF3. However all the subs will have some room gain, does room gain help with increased output or also with them extending lower?
There is a $200 jump between VTF3 to VTF 15 and another $80 to the THX. Can’t decide. I do like the looks of the VTF15 rose wood veneer, sort of matches with my speakers haha maybe I should decide based on that at this point /s :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Indeed I’m haha, I’m just ready to pull the trigger, but just can’t decide.

I noticed the VTF3 has its number at the 16hz mark at 1 m 108, vs the 101.8 at 2m for the monolith 12”.Is there a way to normalize this, what would the reading be at 2m for the VTF3?

I also read the VTF 15 can drop down to 12-13 Hz compared to the VTF3. However all the subs will have some room gain, does room gain help with increased output or also with them extending lower?
There is a $200 jump between VTF3 to VTF 15 and another $80 to the THX. Can’t decide. I do like the looks of the VTF15 rose wood veneer, sort of matches with my speakers haha maybe I should decide based on that at this point /s :)
You could apply eq if there's enough overhead but 6 dB boost would require 4x the power and at 16hz what are you really going to have for content....you a large pipe organ fan or something? Room gain may reinforce existing extension but won't actually extend it. Some do choose for finish options.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis