Looking for small form factor receiver

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Greetings everyone,

A friend of mine is looking for a decent set of speakers for his PC, and there is very little available of any kind of quality for PC. He is looking for a small form factor receiver if one exists. He is just looking to power 2 bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer.

Any recommendations?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Your friend could use MiniDSP 2x4 HD and Active Monitors with an active subwoofer. PEQ and 2.1 Crossover would be highly adjustable in software

Kali LP-6 is great value and a great performing speaker:
(priced as EACH)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does he actually need a receiver, particularly the radio tuner part? How about internet capabilities? What speakers and sub? Do you literally need to "power" the sub, i.e. it's a passive sub needing an amp? How many sources does he have/how many inputs will he need?

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Does he actually need a receiver, particularly the radio tuner part? How about internet capabilities? What speakers and sub? Do you literally need to "power" the sub, i.e. it's a passive sub needing an amp? How many sources does he have/how many inputs will he need?
Right now anything will do. He is not set on anything yet.

No internet capability needed. All that is needed is to take audio from a PC, so an optical input, HDMI, or 3.5mm.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
btw: As an upgrade option for a 2x4 HD, which includes Bluetooth (w/LDAC), volume control, optional balanced analog out, and Optional DIRAC automatic room correction (Dirac and Measuring mics are optional)

Since you haven't mentioned budget :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right now anything will do. He is not set on anything yet.

No internet capability needed. All that is needed is to take audio from a PC, so an optical input, HDMI, or 3.5mm.
Well it can make quite a bit of difference in cost as to what features/connectivity are needed now and in the immediate future. So wants radio tuner or not? If no internet or radio needed then a simple integrated amp may do, and that would be a smaller form factor than a receiver. If still a receiver, does it need only to provide 2.1 audio for now or is 5.1 audio needed soon? Budget? Are the speakers/sub already in place or are they being shopped for too?

Last edited:
MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Max budget?
Size constraints?

You don't need an AVR for this. Need more info why it needs to be AVR or simply because they know no different?

Very best,

T

Tao1

Audioholic
btw: As an upgrade option for a 2x4 HD, which includes Bluetooth (w/LDAC), volume control, optional balanced analog out, and Optional DIRAC automatic room correction (Dirac and Measuring mics are optional)

Since you haven't mentioned budget :)
Thanks.

Yeah no budget necessarily. For now just looking for unusual gear. If he has tohecan run a normal receiver, and such.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still not much clarity on the particular speakers/sub and other factors in play let alone budget....is this really for "a friend"? :)

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Well it can make quite a bit of difference in cost as to what features/connectivity are needed now and in the immediate future. So wants radio tuner or not? If no internet or radio needed then a simple integrated amp may do, and that would be a smaller form factor than a receiver. If still a receiver, does it need only to provide 2.1 audio for now or is 5.1 audio needed soon? Budget? Are the speakers/sub already in place or are they being shopped for too?
For now just looking for something that is small to fit on a desk. Other features aren't terribly important for now. Mainly just want to see what options there are. Playing sound (well) from computer is really the only thing.

He doesn't have any speakers yet. Just looking at options. Unless there is something new the last couple of years, powered speakers made for "PC" are usually pretty bad.

Putting a receiver off to the side is always an option, but looking for something more compact. Honestly he is thinking of putting a tv in the room, so personally I think I might convince him just to get a set of tower speakers, but he isn't quite there yet ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For now just looking for something that is small to fit on a desk. Other features aren't terribly important for now. Mainly just want to see what options there are. Playing sound (well) from computer is really the only thing.

He doesn't have any speakers yet. Just looking at options. Unless there is something new the last couple of years, powered speakers made for "PC" are usually pretty bad.

Putting a receiver off to the side is always an option, but looking for something more compact. Honestly he is thinking of putting a tv in the room, so personally I think I might convince him just to get a set of tower speakers, but he isn't quite there yet ;)
I'd look thru the many reviews of simple integrated amps over at audiosciencereview.com. If using a display then a traditional avr would yield more functionality....the smallest ones I can think of are the Marantz slimline offerings (current model like 1711) but they have limited amp/feature set for the cost IMO.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Hi,

Max budget?
Size constraints?

You don't need an AVR for this. Need more info why it needs to be AVR or simply because they know no different?

Very best,
Not really a budget. Expectation is probably less than $1000. Size constraints are the main thing. He is trying to keep a low footprint on his desk. I was curious if there were any receivers which were much smaller than 17inches long. I know they are large for the amp and power supply, but I figured I would ask ont he off chance there was something made for a less than 5.1 setup with small speakers.

It doesn't need to be a receiver. Receivers give a bit more room to connect to PC, especially with HDCP in play. However anything that can connect to a PC would be an option to consider.

Last edited:
T

Tao1

Audioholic
I'd look thru the many reviews of simple integrated amps over at audiosciencereview.com. If using a display then a traditional avr would yield more functionality....the smallest ones I can think of are the Marantz slimline offerings (current model like 1711) but they have limited amp/feature set for the cost IMO.
Ok thanks. That points me in the right direction. I wanted to see what receivers there were for small form factor for max functionality, but both suggestions should work. Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok thanks. That points me in the right direction. I wanted to see what receivers there were for small form factor for max functionality, but both suggestions should work. Thanks!
There are some 2.1 versions like Yamaha RN803 too

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis