Looking for pre amp suggestions

J

Jason12

Audiophyte
I'm in the process of getting out of the integrated AVR and moving to a separate pre amp and amplifier. In a nutshell, I'm using the pre amp section of a Denon 4802R coupled to a Anthem PVA7 7 channel amp that I recently purchased. My Center is a Paradigm CC390 monitor series, my fronts are studio 60's and my rears are studio 10's. The rear surrounds are paradigm in walls (not sure of model). I'm looking to buy a new/used pre amp to complement this setup, with a budget around $2,500 (new or used). If possible I'd like to get something with room correction. I've been looking at some used Anthem D2's but I wanted to get some other opinions on what a good choice would be (almost exclusively used for movies). I'm also making an assumption that a dedicated AV pre amp with current technology would offer substantial sound improvement over the pre amp section of my Denon 4802R. Thanks for reading !!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I would not assume a separate pre-amp would offer an audible improvement. I'd bet against it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would not assume a separate pre-amp would offer an audible improvement. I'd bet against it.
He's most likely correct on this.

To answer the OP, I would consider the Marantz 7500.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Many people tried, few believe they did get significant improvements but probably more found any gains were subtle at best if existed at all. I do believe in spending money on getting the best possible speakers first before power amp and then prepro. If you have a decent system such as what you have now, the biggest gain in sound quality comes from the media source, be it CD, SACD, FLac, or vinyl, stick with high quality recordings and you may be able to hear the improvements you are looking for. If you are determined to try separate, for a budget of $2500, look to Integra/Onkyo, or wait for the Marantz AV7007/AV8007.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis