Looking for magic box

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
Is there a converter device that will convert a 5.1 optical (Toslink) signal or a 2 channel stereo signal
to analog signal. and is there one that allows for a remote control (volume) of the signal?
I am going from a TV with optical audio out to a home theater set up that has 3.5 minijacks as inputs.
It has 3 of them, a left, right and center input actually.
But the TV remote does not allow for volume adjustment while in the optical audio output mode.
The home theater does not have a remote feature so I need to find a way to convert the signal
as well as control its volume.
Also its unclear to me if the TV outputs 5.1 or stereo or both. Still trying to figure that out from the
owners manual and its vague.
The equipment is:
Logitech Z-5300 THX system
Samsung plasma series 400 TV PN 42B400P3D

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You can get the capability that you want, and even in the 3.5mm stereo jacks, in this box from Amazon for $55. You can get a box to convert optical to two-channel analog for under $25 at Monoprice (linked here). I only spent about two minutes looking, so there certainly might be better options out there...but the answer is "yes," there are boxes out there that will do what you want. :)

EDIT: Oh, wait. No remote control. I know that they have those somewhere. Hold on...

EDIT 2: I can't find the remotes that I was thinking about, but maybe someone else here knows of them.

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
thanks buddy, yea I wish I didn't need to remote but I dont know how to control the levels otherwise.
Thanks for these links, a place to start for me at least, take care, mike

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
Another quick follow up.
I read some of the reviews on this unit and some people say your TV will control the volume but
that is puzzling to me becasue my owners manual says the remote no longer works for audio out.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Mike, you can also check out used receivers. Optical inputs became more and more common starting in the mid to late 90s, and pre-amp outputs (which you'll want if you want to still power your speakers through the Logitech sub) were more common back then than there are now. You might be able to find a good deal on eBay or locally, especially if you're considering spending in that $50 range.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Another quick follow up.
I read some of the reviews on this unit and some people say your TV will control the volume but
that is puzzling to me becasue my owners manual says the remote no longer works for audio out.
Are you referring to the Panlong box on Amazon? If so, that box does have an analog input...and maybe that's what somebody was talking about. I could be forgetting, but I don't remember any of my components that output an optical signal being able to control the volume. If your TV says that it won't, then I bet it doesn't.

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
I see what you mean, just find a cheap receiver with remote and use its optical in and its analog preamp out. Hum interesting, mike

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
hum

No i have the opposite. I need the converter to act as an optical in, and analog out.
capable of 2 channel or 5.1. and ideally it would have some sort of remote control feature.
Asking for the world I know, LOL

Are you referring to the Panlong box on Amazon? If so, that box does have an analog input...and maybe that's what somebody was talking about. I could be forgetting, but I don't remember any of my components that output an optical signal being able to control the volume. If your TV says that it won't, then I bet it doesn't.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, I know what you want. :) I was trying to explain why somebody might have said that they could still control the volume from their TV - they might not have been using the optical input like you want to do.

Receivers do that all of the time, which is why I suggested looking into one. My guess is that you're trying to keep the solution fairly inexpensive and just want someway to pair your TV up to your speakers. A receiver might not be the answer for you, but as you look into how much other solutions cost, a used receiver might be a good way to go. Also, you don't actually need a receiver with pre-outs because you could power the speakers using the receiver itself. You'd connect the speakers to the receiver, and run the subwoofer output to the Logitech sub (but you'd need an RCA to stereo 3.5mm cable). One caveat on that is that the crossover setting(s) available on the receiver might not go high enough to match what the Logitech system is using. If you ever decide to do that, we can help you get that all hooked up.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I wish you luck in finding what you are looking for. Unfortunately, the computer speaker setup you are trying to use is not designed, at all, for use with a television.

On the 'cheapest' level, this is what I would do:

Plug the computer speakers directly into your cable box and turn on variable audio output on the cable box itself.

In all practical terms, there is no obvious reason not to do this other than the speakers only being available for playback of cable TV and not being usable for other things.

But, the reality remains that these speakers are likely only a bit better than the speakers built into the TV for the manner in which you can use them. That is, you can't really get surround sound from them unless you plug them into a DAC which decodes down to 5.1, which is more expensive. You are also asking for pre-amp functionality, which is just extremely rare in 'cheap' products, but readily available in more expensive products ($500+ at least).

At the end of the day, you really need a A/V receiver/5.1 speaker setup, or a speaker bar.

Something like this would be a good starting point:
DENON DHT-1513BA Home Theater System w/ Boston Acoustics Speakers | Accessories4less

Just not sure where your budget is on all this, or what you are trying to achieve, but unless someone finds a good product for you, this is the more typical and traditional solution to deal with what you are trying to achieve.

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
Ok guys here is my issue. I just bought a nice used Denon AVR 1705 6.1 Channel 770 Watt Receiver.
My Samsung plasma series 400 TV PN 42B400P3D only have coaxial and optical outputs on it so I will be using this receiver with it to create a home theater system for a bedroom.
This is only going to be a 2.1 system.
I am not sure if the TV will output both 5.1 and 2.1. It may only output 5.1.
No matter that will be my input to the Denon.
My question is this, this Denon has a healthy audio powered output of course for the left and right speakers but it only has a sub out, not a low frequency/sub powered out. So this means I will have to buy a powered sub right?
There is no way to use one of the extra channels out powered output for a passive type sub?
I didnt know if there was a way to get a powered low frequency signal out of it or not.
If I DO wind up getting a powered sub, does it mater if the sub has a crossover built in since the sub out of the Denon has fully adjustable crossover points?
Thanks, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Mike. Congrats on the new receiver! I guess that you won't be using this with the Logitechs?

As for the TV output, I don't think that you have anything to worry about. Based on the manual, you should be able to set the Denon to "Stereo" mode and play in either 2.0 or 2.1 mode, depending on if you get a sub.

You are correct - you need to get a powered sub for that receiver. You do not need a built-in crossover in the sub. In fact, you'll be trying to bypass it anyway because the Denon is doing all of the bass management.

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
thanks buddy, yea I was not able to figure out how to use it with the logitech, If I could I would.
I guess I might be able to use the logitech sub only, that might be cool , hum never thought of that. m

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you want help getting it working with the Logitechs, just let me know. They will work together, but you'll either need to strip the speaker wires on the Logitechs or buy some inexpensive adapters.

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
Im all ears yes.
I'd like to find a way to make the whole thing work but then I ask myself if I am being silly now that I have the receiver.
Should I not be using some speakers and sub where I get the full benefit of the output?
I have to say the logitech is nothing to sneeze at with a pretty loud and clean output but........

by the way, you can see from my sig that once upon a time I had a clue about setting up systems.
But that was many years ago and much has been forgotten and much has changed.
This system is my main home theater system.
The one Im needing help with now is really a bedroom system. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. I alluded to this in a previous post, but here's how to connect your Denon to your Logitech speakers:

(*) Each Logitech speaker has a cord with a male RCA connector on the end (correct?). That's still regular speaker wire, but with a connector that's not normal for receivers. You can either cut off that RCA connector, strip the wire, and connect the two wires to the +/- terminals OR you can build/buy an adapter cable like this (overly expensive) adapter. You'll probably have to play with the connection to get the polarity correct, but it wouldn't be too tough.

(*) The sub would connect to the subwoofer output on the Denon. You'll want an adapter or cable that splits a stereo 3.5mm male connector to two RCA connectors (one example here). You'll then connect the subwoofer output on the Denon to that adapter or cable. You'll have to see which side of the splitter is the correct side to run the sub (as the 3.5mm stereo jack on the sub carries the signal for both the center channel and the subwoofer).

Now, remember the caveat that I mentioned - the crossover frequency best suited for those speakers might not exist in the Denon menu...but then again, it might. You can always give it a try.

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
Thanks very much we are not getting somewhere, your post was very helpful buddy.
Im good on the first part, cutting off the connector and that is understood, polarity, the whole thing good.
That works great for the left and right front. I do also have a center speaker that I may or may not be able to
use with this receiver. I eamn I guess if I wanted to really be weird, I could use the center out of the logitech
in case the Denon does not have a powered center out. ( The Denon is not delivered just yet?

I completely understand your second paragraph, all is good, makes great sense. Once I do this however, I wonder about the weirdness of having base/LF control at the Denon and some limited controls with built in crossover points already in the Logitech?
What is best to do on how to set them both?
YOu talk about this some in your third paragraph but let me ask, what is the worst and best thing that can happen under my scenario?
Also I just today got an opportunity to buy cheap a nice powered sub, [h=2]Paradigm PDR-10. I wonder if this is a better choice for the sub?[/h]

Hi. I alluded to this in a previous post, but here's how to connect your Denon to your Logitech speakers:

(*) Each Logitech speaker has a cord with a male RCA connector on the end (correct?). That's still regular speaker wire, but with a connector that's not normal for receivers. You can either cut off that RCA connector, strip the wire, and connect the two wires to the +/- terminals OR you can build/buy an adapter cable like this (overly expensive) adapter. You'll probably have to play with the connection to get the polarity correct, but it wouldn't be too tough.

(*) The sub would connect to the subwoofer output on the Denon. You'll want an adapter or cable that splits a stereo 3.5mm male connector to two RCA connectors (one example here). You'll then connect the subwoofer output on the Denon to that adapter or cable. You'll have to see which side of the splitter is the correct side to run the sub (as the 3.5mm stereo jack on the sub carries the signal for both the center channel and the subwoofer).

Now, remember the caveat that I mentioned - the crossover frequency best suited for those speakers might not exist in the Denon menu...but then again, it might. You can always give it a try.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, glad that helped!

The Denon AVR-1705 that you have coming definitely has connections for a center channel. It can run all of the speakers from your Logitech, except that it won't power the sub (but you don't need it to). The product sheet for that receiver is linked here in PDF format, and the owner's manual is linked here.

For the crossover frequencies, you probably aren't going to run into an issue because that Denon can be set over a range from 40Hz to 250Hz. That's a really wide range, and I hadn't noticed that before. The issue that I was talking about would occur if you got a receiver that, for example, had a crossover setting of 90Hz that couldn't be changed...and if the Logitechs were set up to have a crossover of 150Hz because of their size, then you might not get great response from the speakers. However, in that scenario, the sub wouldn't present a problem because it wouldn't be filtering any signals out below 150Hz, but your receiver would only be asking it to play below 90Hz, so it wouldn't alter the sub signal. The only thing for you to think about is that the Logitech sub has some fixed filter in it (and I don't know what it is, but it's probably in the specs) that, if you set the Denon crossover above that frequency, will filter out some of what the Denon sends to it.

If you use that Paradigm sub, you can adjust that filter as high as 150Hz (which you should do), allowing you to use a crossover setting in the Denon up to 150Hz without having the subs built-in filter affecting it. I'd suggest that you try both subs (separately and together, even) to see what you like best.

D

dyna962007

Audioholic Intern
good advise buddy and thanks, yea I tried to find the specs on the logitech in the OM and it doesnt go into that detail so I guess I will play with it a bit
and see what works. I will run with your comments and keep you posted on it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis