Looking for constructive feedback!

S

steamboatgeoff

Audiophyte
Hello Audioholics!

I am currently planning out an upstairs media/entertainment room. The goal for the room is multi-purpose. I have both a 5 yo girl and 10 yo boy. I am hoping to create a space for sports and moving watching (not dedicated theater space) that will hopefully make them want to hang out in. It is a large 22'x28'ft room with 9' ceilings. Unfortunately lots of windows. Currently the whole room is carpeted. The wife and I are "discussing" if that will change. She would like a hardwood floor....me, not so much. I have a rough idea/plan for setup and components but am hoping for any constructive feedback everyone has to offer!

I have attached a rough .jpg of the room layout and proposed setup as well as a few real photos to get the gist of the room. Currently in the front alcove/recess at the right/front of the room I have 5 Emotiva A-100s powering 5 SONOS controllers that go to sets of Polk MC80s around the house. This corner is were all of the house wiring comes in. I am planning to place a Mid Atlantic Rack in this space with more storage shelves and a hanging barn door to hide it yet provide easy access. Below is my working list of components:

TV: Samsung 82in UN82MU8000
Receiver: Marantz AV7704
Amplifier #1: Marantz 8807
Amplifier #2: Marantz 7025

Front L/R speakers: Polk 265LS
Center speaker: Polk 255
Rears/surround: Polk 900LS
Atoms speakers: Polk 700LS
Subwoofer: Outlaw XR-13 x 2

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

G

Attachments

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Hello Audioholics!

I am currently planning out an upstairs media/entertainment room. The goal for the room is multi-purpose. I have both a 5 yo girl and 10 yo boy. I am hoping to create a space for sports and moving watching (not dedicated theater space) that will hopefully make them want to hang out in. It is a large 22'x28'ft room with 9' ceilings. Unfortunately lots of windows. Currently the whole room is carpeted. The wife and I are "discussing" if that will change. She would like a hardwood floor....me, not so much. I have a rough idea/plan for setup and components but am hoping for any constructive feedback everyone has to offer!

I have attached a rough .jpg of the room layout and proposed setup as well as a few real photos to get the gist of the room. Currently in the front alcove/recess at the right/front of the room I have 5 Emotiva A-100s powering 5 SONOS controllers that go to sets of Polk MC80s around the house. This corner is were all of the house wiring comes in. I am planning to place a Mid Atlantic Rack in this space with more storage shelves and a hanging barn door to hide it yet provide easy access. Below is my working list of components:

TV: Samsung 82in UN82MU8000
Receiver: Marantz AV7704
Amplifier #1: Marantz 8807
Amplifier #2: Marantz 7025

Front L/R speakers: Polk 265LS
Center speaker: Polk 255
Rears/surround: Polk 900LS
Atoms speakers: Polk 700LS
Subwoofer: Outlaw XR-13 x 2

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

G
Perhaps if you were to pose your question more precisely. This way it would seem you're asking someone to envision and organize a whole in-room set up based on three pics. That is not really easy.

What are the problems you're encountering, what are the doubts?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"A space for sports" and a massive couch in the middle of the room?
I'd think you could rather use oversized beanbags for seats which you could move around.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
According to your drawing, I see your going to sit 8 feet back to the couch to the TV. I suggest a 75 inch TV over the 82 as at 82 with being LED might give you motion sickness when motion blur occurs.
If you where 10 to 12 feet back the 82 would be fine.

Your system plan is fine.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are using somewhat expensive (Marantz) separate processing and amplification to power lesser quality speakers. If you have the budget I would consider better speakers for your room. If you don't have more in your budget, you might want to consider an AVR and better speakers.

S

steamboatgeoff

Audiophyte
Perhaps if you were to pose your question more precisely. This way it would seem you're asking someone to envision and organize a whole in-room set up based on three pics. That is not really easy.
What are the problems you're encountering, what are the doubts?
Thanks killdozzer, you're right. I was not totally specific. I am having a hard time envisioning the space. I have an idea of what I want to use it for, just not the best way to carry out the plan. Unfortunately, I have not found any local commercial outfits who really specialize in media/entertainment space development so I am looking for opinions and suggestions on how to best utilize the space. In terms of the pictures, I was thinking the reader could get a feel for the room with the three attached photos but it seems more would be better!

"A space for sports" and a massive couch in the middle of the room?
I'd think you could rather use oversized beanbags for seats which you could move around.
Thanks BSA. Yes, I am planning 3-4 bean bags as well as 4-5 barstools behind the long table for more butt-space.

According to your drawing, I see your going to sit 8 feet back to the couch to the TV. I suggest a 75 inch TV over the 82 as at 82 with being LED might give you motion sickness when motion blur occurs.
If you where 10 to 12 feet back the 82 would be fine.
Your system plan is fine.
Thanks for the tip Dmantis10.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are using somewhat expensive (Marantz) separate processing and amplification to power lesser quality speakers. If you have the budget I would consider better speakers for your room. If you don't have more in your budget, you might want to consider an AVR and better speakers.
No offense taken at all DD. This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for. My budget is flexible. Happy to hear any suggestions you may have in the same rough price range....say +/- 15% or so?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

SG

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
One thing for my own thinking is do not put wood flooring in. If you have a lot of windows already, wood will add to the reflective nature of the room and you may have problems with intelligibility and sound in general. This is something my wife thinks she’ll get me to do. Not happening, and wood floors are horrible to keep clean. Especially if you have pets. I’ll try to think of something more creative for later!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Thanks killdozzer, you're right. I was not totally specific. I am having a hard time envisioning the space. I have an idea of what I want to use it for, just not the best way to carry out the plan. Unfortunately, I have not found any local commercial outfits who really specialize in media/entertainment space development so I am looking for opinions and suggestions on how to best utilize the space. In terms of the pictures, I was thinking the reader could get a feel for the room with the three attached photos but it seems more would be better!

Thanks BSA. Yes, I am planning 3-4 bean bags as well as 4-5 barstools behind the long table for more butt-space.

Thanks for the tip Dmantis10.

No offense taken at all DD. This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for. My budget is flexible. Happy to hear any suggestions you may have in the same rough price range....say +/- 15% or so?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

SG
I would go with Triad InWall Bronze/4 LCRs for the front, and Triad InWall Bronze/4 Surrounds for the surrounds. The list price for the LCRs is $650 each and $550 each for the surrounds. I would also use the IW Bronze/4 Surrounds as Atmos speakers because they have a fairly wide dispersion pattern and will cover a bigger area. The ceiling needs to be 9 feet or less however.

I can save you more and get you somewhat closer to your target price. If you buy Triad from us we will also give you a free speaker design plan complete with detailed design notes, recommended speakers and speaker placement on your theater plan.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Lots of good feedback here...the screen size relative the sitting distance is a big one...to keep the back room space for ping pong you may not want to push the sofa back further...if so save some money with a 70-75" screen...a 65" is good from 8' away.

If it's going to be a room primarily for the kids, I'd keep the same speakers or budget and spend less on the AV/power amp or just get a AVR....the in wall/ceiling suggestion wouldn't be a bad idea if the idea of a speaker getting knocked over entered your head more than once.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/triad-inwall-bronze-lcr-4.110548/

I did a review of the Triad InWall Bronze loudspeakers, and hopefully this isn't taken the wrong way, they now sing me to sleep on most nights! (meaning, they never left!)

Having limited floor space meant InWall speakers were a must, and the install is surprisingly easy with Triad.

Also looking forward to adding one of these in the future:
https://www.screeninnovations.com/screen/zero-edge-pro/

Acoustically transparent (perforated) is an option, so I can hide the Triad's, or at least two of them anyway...

I wasn't willing to buy such a big TV, so I got in to projection with a little entry level Epson and painted wall. Now my wife and I are addicted, and are simply waiting for JVC to bring out a full 4K projector so the Epson can move into the bedroom. (and she might start working in there more, freeing up the main system ) ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis