Looking for best CHEAP speaker package. AR HC6?

S

shaolin95

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am trying to get a low budget HT speaker system but am looking for a real steal. For instance the Acoustic Research HC6 use to cost $800 and received great reviews from some places like Perfect Vision magazine. I can get it now for $385 delivered. Is that a great deal or are there any better? I also saw a Yamaha 440 Receiver 6. 1 plus speakers combo for $500. Now since I live in an apartmente now I want the sound quality to be good since I wont be able to have too much bass due to the neighbors. I am inclined for the HC6 because of their looks and rave reviews but I am open for suggestions. I also like the Athena Point 5 system, the Celestion AVP305. My budget is around $400 for speakers only. I have my Kenwood VR 407 which I will be using while I get a better receiver and a Sony WM 40 subwoofer.
Regards</font>

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Cheap beer can be OK and I have always liked cheap women, but speakers?

Seriously try see if you get a good price on the Energy Take 5.2 system</font>

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Cheap beer can be OK and I have always liked cheap women, but speakers?

Seriously try see if you get a good price on the Energy Take 5.2 system</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Add the following to my list:
Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 x 4
Wharfedale Diamond Center x 1

and the JBL NSP-1 5.1 set

any ideas?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have $5 thousand to spend on great speakers.

I mostly listen to music, and sometimes watch movies on our big screen tv.

What would be the best speakers to get?</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>With that kind of money to throw around on speakers, I would be going down to my local B&amp;W dealer and snatching up a 803 system!</font>

austinbirdman

austinbirdman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>For Alan the $5K guy -- I assume you are posting this as some kind of test or informal market research, because no one should spend $5K on speakers casually, even the very rich, and you must enter this with some ideas in mind.

The size of your listening/HT room will play a big part here. If it's a small room, you may not even want to shoot the whole wad, as you can acheive a great set up with premiere bookshelves, which can be head in a 5.1 or 7.1 config for less than $5K, no matter what the people selling you mega-high-end speakers say.

If the room warrants floorstanders, then $5K is a nice budget.

If I had $5K to spend, right now, on a complete HT lineup, I'd audition Monitor Audio's Siliver and Gold lines looking at the largest floorstanders your room and amp can drive. (I assume the latter is not an issue if you're dropping $5K.) I love my Axioms, so can't help recommending you consider them as well -- a great 5 speakers set-up from them would be the M80s / VP 150 - center / QS8 rears, costing less than $2K. Budget at least $1K for the sub and audition Hsu VTF-3s and SVS ... with your budget it's worth considering a separate amp/bass management system for the sub, however the simplicity factor can be a strong draw, which would lead to a powered sub. You can get a top-notch one for $1000 - 1500. And I'd recommend buying subs from these companies, not as part of the line of main speakers you're auditioning, UNLESS the appearance of the sub is critical, which is certainly reasonable, given the involvement of significant others. Bottom line, you can get a great HT lineup from Axiom or Monitor (the silver series) easily for less than $5K. I don't know the pricing on the Gold series, nor have I had the chance to hear them, but it's such a great company I'd have to imagine these are beauties. Upgrading to Golds or a more expensive speaker might preclude you from adding 6th and 7th speakers for a 7.1 set-up, but frankly that ain't no great loss.

Then for a complete change of pace, consider Magnepans and Tannoys in your same price range. Avoid expensive speakers where the sub-woofer is built into the mains. I mean really, why drop a load on that? It's an 80s technology rehashed as a Best Buy marketing ploy.

You'll have to audition Axioms via mail. Monitor Audio is sold via  dealers AND online. If you can audition Monitor Audio speakers via a local dealership, keep in mind the Axioms are similar to the Silver series, but less expensive and slightly less upscale in appearance - tho not bad looking. (The Monitor Audio's are very nice looking with real cherry veneers that complement about any room.)

These are my thoughts. I'd consider auditioning Paradigm References, and if you go the Internet route, Aperions, but with the Monitor Audio and/or Axioms you can't go wrong.

Birdman</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I have heard the Monitor Golds. They are VERY nice. I was choosing between the B&amp;W 803's and the Monitor Gold, but caught the MB Quarts on sale at Yawa. Was able to get much more system for a whole lot less. IMO, the B&amp;W's are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. The Monitor Audio were a close second, personal preference comes into play here. I was lucky enough to hear them side by side. I achieved same type sound. I have purchased many MB Quart car audio products, and was quiet comfortable purchasing them and I AM EXTREMELY SATISFIED!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
austinbirdman

austinbirdman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Zumbo, can you describe your MB Quarts in more detail? Size, specs, price, appearance, and of course what they sound like? I just heard about this company recently -- their stuff looks very interesting.

Bman</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>If you're handy and thus inclined, there's always DIY! There's a project here on Audioholics, and a boatload of others to be found at places like speakerbuilder.net and the Parts Express website. You needn't play speaker designer, either, with a good plan.

I'd put my little Linkwitz-designed two-way dipoles up against speakers costing three times what they cost me in parts &amp; materials.

Austinbirdman: MB Quarts are shown in the CES coverage here. I share your interest. They sure looked sweet in the pix and of course their rep in auto sound is golden according to the young'uns who go in for that sort of thing!</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>MB Quart, a German loudspeaker specialty company for more then 25 years, is uniquely qualified to take a logical step forward in the development of speaker systems. The S Series is the expression of this step. Our engineers have created a breakthrough in the premium loudspeaker category-an imported European system with audiophile sound, unsurpassed build quality and a price that doesn't require a second mortgage on your home. The S series is designed to be matched with the best possible component electronics.

QLS-830
6.5&quot; 3-Way &quot;S&quot; Line Tower Speakers. Audiophile-grade tower loudspeaker system. Over-and-under 6.5&quot; midbass drivers with a 1&quot; tweeter. Augmented 2-way system ensures extended bandwidth and improved linearity in midrange and midbass frequencies. User adjustable crossover network. Available in beautiful cherry, beech or black ash select hardwood veneers with glass top.

Features : Impedance: 4 Ohms &nbsp;
Frequency Response : 33Hz - 32 kHz
Sensitivity 87 dB &nbsp;
Power Range: 110W - 180W &nbsp;
Crossover Frequency: 2.5 kHz &nbsp;
Finish: Cherry, Black-Ash, and Beech
Dimensions: (HxWxD) 37.4&quot;x 8.9&quot;x 12&quot;

QLS-330
5.25&quot; 2-Way &quot;S&quot; Line Center Channel Speaker. Center channel loudspeaker, voice matched with all S Series bookshelf and tower loudspeaker systems. 2 Way vented design with user adjustavle crossover network.

Impedance: 4 Ohms &nbsp;
Frequency Response : 50Hz - 32 kHz
Sensitivity 90 dB &nbsp;
Power Range: 70W - 130W &nbsp;
Crossover Frequency: 3 kHz &nbsp;
Finish: Cherry, Black-Ash, and Beech
Dimensions: (HxWxD) 6.5&quot;x19.5&quot;x12

I caught mine on a super sale! Got lucky. They are still on sale, but more than I paid. Yawa will give a discount if you are buying a whole speaker system. They also come with a 30 day in home test &amp; a FULL 5 year warranty! I bought the black ash. The design is one of a kind. Very nice &amp; well built. The sound is much like the car audio. In my younger years, this was &amp; still is today the king. IMO, if they did a better job marketing home audio, you would see more. The Vera line is coming, but way out of my price range. If you like B&amp;W, you will like MB Quart.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I would like to add that the sound is more realistic &amp; full compared to the car audio due to the fact of the cabinetry and the drivers are different. It seems that in Europe, the home audio receivers &amp; amps are 4ohm, so the myth that these are car speakers in different packaging is BS! Just incase someone tries to tell you this!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis