Looking for an excellent 55" TV and a receiver, also of excellent quality...

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
I have a cabinet that I've modified to fit a flat screen tv ( the former dweller was a Sony Trinitron 32"! - 23 years of service! ).

Available space limits the screen to 55" ( average viewing distance is 8' ).

I'll need a new receiver as well ( I have an old Bose cube-speaker system built-in to the room & I'm too tired to remove it & repair the walls! ).

Your learned thoughts will be much appreciated.

TIA!

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
Budget? Which Bose system do you have?
A 23 year-old 'Accoustimass' system.

TV - 1k - 2.5 k ( I'm reading that OLED beats QLED in most aspects )
Receiver - up to 2k ( I have a Denon with another set-up & it's worked well )

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A 23 year-old 'Accoustimass' system.

TV - 2k - 3k
Receiver - up to 2k
We usually use specific model numbers for gear. Some Bose is not friendly to avr use due proprietary connections. I certainly wouldn't spend 2k on an avr for Bose speakers, tho. No interest in getting better speakers?

For tv I'm not up to date but I'd look at OLED models from LG or Sony.

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
We usually use specific model numbers for gear. Some Bose is not friendly to avr use due proprietary connections. I certainly wouldn't spend 2k on an avr for Bose speakers, tho. No interest in getting better speakers?

For tv I'm not up to date but I'd look at OLED models from LG or Sony.
Bose System 2.jpg

'Acoustimass 10 Series II ( 1998 ) Hope that helps!

I have a nice surround system in my basement, this set-up is in a main-floor family room adjacent to the kitchen & will only see casual use.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
'Acoustimass 10 Series II ( 1998 ) Hope that helps!

I have a nice surround system in my basement, this set-up is in a main-floor family room adjacent to the kitchen & will only see casual use.
What is the current avr in use?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
You don't need an excellent receiver, you need excellent speakers and an average receiver with modern connectivity. Do you need HDMI in reality though or is Toslink input sufficient for your needs?

Very best,

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
You don't need an excellent receiver, you need excellent speakers and an average receiver with modern connectivity. Do you need HDMI in reality though or is Toslink input sufficient for your needs?

Very best,
I'll have to look up 'Toslink'...

Ok, I'm now hip to Toslink, thus are you saying that with this cable I can use my old Sony & it will be sufficient?

( I hear ya on the speakers, but I'm fine with the old cubes ).

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Optical, maybe more commonly?

Very best,
Or even digital coax....but still depends on the codecs/bitstream @DeepSeaDan wants to utilize, he hasn't explained about peripheral equipment or needs down the line with any other updates. If it works now for 5.1 with those speakers frankly I'd just keep using it and update speakers first rather than electronics....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If I were buying today, I would be getting a LG C1 display or a Sony A90J if I just wanted the best looking display. If coming from a good CRT, then the OLED should look very good to you.

The biggest negative is that they aren't super bright. They are definitely CRT bright, but not as bright as the better LCD panels get. The Samsung QN90A or B series is a great way to go in a brighter room and if you want that brightness from a display and don't mind a hit to black level performance. This is the tradeoff right now.

Later this year, Samsung will be releasing a QD-OLED display which may add additional brightness to OLED while preserving great black levels... or so they say. Reviews aren't in yet and final analysis and recommendation can't be made yet. Oh, and you can't buy them yet either.

For audio, I might hold off a bit. The modern TVs have an optical audio output that allows audio from the currently playing 4K HDMI source to be fed into an existing AV receiver. So, you keep your existing receiver and surround sound setup and get the same quality audio you've enjoyed for years without making a single change to the system. If at a later point you want some added audio quality, then the speakers will remain the top place to begin with those changes. Plenty of discussion as to why that is, but it remains up to you if you want to make such a change.

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
Thank you kindly, Gents! I shall heed your advice!

DSD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis