Looking for advice on this subwoofer

A

Art_Vandelay

Audiophyte
As stated above looking at a new sub or used for 60/40 movies music. Room is pretty large say 25x30 living room/kitchen with 9’to 20’ vaulted ceiling’. Room also opens up to another same size room through partition and doorway. As far as equipment I have now. Running 5.1 with a Denton avr 760 IBL studio 530 bookshelf speakers a pair of Cambridge Sounworks m60 as rears and an old mirage 8 sub for some bass the sub and CS speakers were free and a starting point. This sub is offered at $425 and see real will have stock soon. Any advice is appreciated and first post here Thanks! And on a cheap note I found a sunfire sd10 for $110 thoughts…..

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you need a small sub particularly? That's a huge room/space for a small sub. Not a particular fan of Sunfire myself, would look more at the usual recommendations here..... SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Monolith, PSA, RSL....

A

Art_Vandelay

Audiophyte
Do you need a small sub particularly? That's a huge room/space for a small sub. Not a particular fan of Sunfire myself, would look more at the usual recommendations here..... SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Monolith, PSA, RSL....
I was thinking the same as I’ve seen a lot of these sunfire subs being parted out. Really like the look of the monolith and would like a svs pb100 but prices have sky rocketed. Might just get on the RSL speedwoofer preorder thats about as far as my dollar stretches and realistically out of price range but would like to do it once. Thank you for your reply! And as far as size goes I am married so…. A Marty pack jr wouldn’t be wise for me

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't buy those subs. Sunfire's amps aren't particularly reliable, and that is too large of a room for that sub. You would be running that sub hard all the time just for it to be audible, and that will hasten its demise.

A

Art_Vandelay

Audiophyte
I wouldn't buy those subs. Sunfire's amps aren't particularly reliable, and that is too large of a room for that sub. You would be running that sub hard all the time just for it to be audible, and that will hasten its demise.
Forgot I had an account here and made this post! Thanks for the reply Shady! What got my attention was your review of the Def Tech D15’s do you think that my Denon AVR 760 would have enough power to make these speakers a good pairing? Thanks that’s a stupid price on those speakers would like the new JBL’s even the old studio line but that price is crazy ok thanks again!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Forgot I had an account here and made this post! Thanks for the reply Shady! What got my attention was your review of the Def Tech D15’s do you think that my Denon AVR 760 would have enough power to make these speakers a good pairing? Thanks that’s a stupid price on those speakers would like the new JBL’s even the old studio line but that price is crazy ok thanks again!
The Denon 760 should be Ok with those speakers if you don't need really high loudness levels. That receiver isn't exactly a powerhouse. However, theoretically, it should be able to drive those speakers up to 100dB at a 2-meter listening distance. That kind of loudness should suffice for most people.

A

Art_Vandelay

Audiophyte
The Denon 760 should be Ok with those speakers if you don't need really high loudness levels. That receiver isn't exactly a powerhouse. However, theoretically, it should be able to drive those speakers up to 100dB at a 2-meter listening distance. That kind of loudness should suffice for most people.
Thank you so much for your time! Really do appreciate it!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis