Looking for advice on a 2.1 setup

N

neo3n3

Audiophyte
New to this forum since tying to find decent information is not that easy for this setup.

I currently have a pair of Klipsch R-51m's
I just ordered a SVS PB-1000 pro

I was using an old 16year + Yamaha 5.1 receiver with a small sub.

This is being used in a home office, I originally was looking at the Marantz NR 1200

I stumbled across the Dayton Audio HTA100BT which looks like it might do what I am looking for.

Anyone have good advice on a 2.1 amp?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Honestly, that Yamaha receiver may still be perfectly fine depending on what you are trying to do. Don't expect a jump in sound quality by replacing the receiver. Are you using this system to watch movies? The only reason why I would upgrade is if you need HDMI connectivity.

N

neo3n3

Audiophyte
Honestly, that Yamaha receiver may still be perfectly fine depending on what you are trying to do. Don't expect a jump in sound quality by replacing the receiver. Are you using this system to watch movies? The only reason why I would upgrade is if you need HDMI connectivity.
Yea i watch movies from time to time.. it seems like the sub out on that receiver is going. i have tried two different subs attached and every so often the subs get woofing sounds...i know not technical..and after about 30min when i have nothing playing i can hear a humming sound.

I was hoping to make that one last until it completely went out but i am afraid to hook up a new sub and have feedback issues that might cause damage. I am going to try a different cable set and another sub i have tomorrow to rule out cable/subs that are already in here.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One problem might be that the AVR's subwoofer output level is too low. The subs are probably set to auto-on where they need a certain level of signal to activate and stay activated. If that signal is too low, the subs can just end up shutting off during a program sometimes or seeming to need a large signal to wake up. Make sure the subwoofer out or LFE out is not set too low.

But yeah, if you want to watch movies and have a modern TV, disc player, or streamer, you will want an AVR with HDMI connectivity.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis