Looking for additional direction with atmos and rear speaker placement

R

Ryan H.

Audiophyte
Hi all,
First time poster but I've been searching and researching the forums for quite a few years. I'm finally at a point where I can dedicate some time getting my "theater room" properly setup (or as properly as possible given the circumstances). I am updating from a 5.2 system to a 5.2.4 atmos setup but since this isn't new construction i'll have to work with what i've got. As the post title says I have a mullet theater room. In the front it is nice, clean, neat but in the back it starts to fall apart pretty quick. Hopefully I can tap into the excellent knowledge here to get me as close as possible to "correct" speaker positioning.
Equipment:
Monolith HTP-1 Pre/Pro
Monolith 7x
ATI 6002 for Front L/R
ML Motion 40's Front L/R
ML Electromotion ESL Center
4 KEF CI200QR for atmos speakers
Rear speakers will be changed to match ML fronts (motion IW, FX2 or similar) <--- another question for the next post (currently have SVS elevation speakers)
Dual SVS SB4000 subs

My first (of many) questions is: given the pics and diagram attached, which placement should I put the atmos speakers in? I have mapped out the proper placement front and rear but based on my room I cannot place the right rear in the proper place because of my stairway. So based on my diagram should I go with the speaker placement marked as 1 or 2? should they all be equally spaced LR/FR or is it better to do option 1 and slide the right rear inward (for obvious reasons).

It seems odd to me that the calculations from audioadvice as well as other sources say that atmos needs to be in line with the mains. This puts the atmos speakers off the walls by only 24" but puts a 10.5 foot gap between the speakers themselves? Does this seem appropriate?

Basic room dimensions: 14' wide, 19' deep, 8' ceilings.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis