Looking for a Turntable

itschris

itschris

My mom passed away at 83 a few weeks ago. I spent the weekend going through boxes, closes, and bins. I came across all my old records from the 80's. I grew up with music always playing in the house. Right now I have about 200 of my parents' album collection dating back to the 50's I imagine and have a lot of the stuff I grew up listening to as a kid like Tom Jones, Engelbert, etc. There are tons of opera and symphony albums. I even came across Bob Newhart records when he was just a young man.

So I got all this home and dug out my Pioneer turntable. It's nothing special I don't think but it worked. I grew up in the 80's so I had my share of Duran Duran albums. I spun RIO and immediately noticed something. The arrangements of the songs differ greatly from the CD version of the album. The are so much better the disc versions. I listened to VanHalen and some others and all had major differences in at least couple songs... like some producer decided to remix the songs either adding in or taking things away. Some song were very different...all versions were much better from the albums.

1) Is that common? 2) I now decided I need a turntable to digitize some of these albums. I only did cursory research so far, but turntables from Pro-Ject seem to have a lot of good feedback. 3) What should I do with all these old albums? Are they worth anything? Are there collectors for these really old records? A lot of them are in really good shape. I'd almost like to frame a bunch. The artwork is amazng... especially on the foreign ones.

So what do I need to do this right and have a good turntable just to listen to. I've read you eliminate the pops and what not as well. Need some advice guys. This is my new mission... until I'm distracted by something else anyway.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
go to music direct and start with the project that falls in your price range, you will be happy with it for sure, I love mine.. they have the debut 3's on sale for $299

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For new turntables, look at tables from ProJect, Rega, and Music Hall. I own an ProJect XpressionIII and its very good table, very quiet, and has an awesome tonearm.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm in the market for a couple of them too. One for me and our friends asked if we could get one setup for them as well because they have a vinyl collection and no turntable...sounds familiar...just like me. I haven't listened to my vinyl in years because I don't have one.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You have not told us what model of Pioneer turntable you have. So we do not know how good or bad it is. You also have not told us how much you want to spend. That makes advising you somewhat difficult.

Unless the turntable is damaged or a bottom of the line model, I would think you would need to spend a significant amount of money to get significantly better than what you have.

I personally would be looking for a Technics SL-1200/1210 if I were interested in having a good turntable (if I only wanted 33 1/3 & 45 rpm, unless you can get your hands on a MK4 that also plays 78 rpm):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200

New ones are quite expensive now (since they are no longer being made), but used ones are quite common. People think of them as DJ turntables, but they were designed for high fidelity. They just happen to be very solid and reliable and work well in a DJ environment, so DJ's started using them.

Regarding the other question, it is common for companies to remaster music, so that which version of something one buys will matter for how it sounds. This, by the way, is one of the reasons why some people believe that LPs sound better than CDs, because they happen to like the LP mastering of the music they like. There is nothing at all wrong with the way the CD format sounds. But if one puts garbage on it, then it will be garbage.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hi Chris welcome back. Sorry for your loss. I concur with Pyrro. Also take a look at the Technic SL-Q300 as well. It can be found used on ebay/Craigslist. They go for about $80-120.

Last edited by a moderator:
itschris

itschris

Thanks guys. I was thinking about $300-$500. The Pioneer I have was bought at Best Buy probably 8 or 9 years ago. I guess it's okay for playback, but I really want a good package to record albums. I understnad that the software is critical as well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
At that price point, from ProJect look at the Debut and Carbon, from Music Hall look at the MMF1 and MMF2 and from Rega, RP1 ( I may have screwed up the model number). These tables will be far better than the Pioneer from Best Buy. All of these new turntables sport a graphite tone arm which is far better than the tonearms found on older turntables including the Technics 1200.

itschris

itschris

go to music direct and start with the project that falls in your price range, you will be happy with it for sure, I love mine.. they have the debut 3's on sale for $299
I was just checking out that site. I didn't see where they have "projects" Either way, they have a lot of nice stuff. Am I better off getting a turntable like the this:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB

or

A seperate nice turntable with the digitizer thing in between?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was just checking out that site. I didn't see where they have "projects" Either way, they have a lot of nice stuff. Am I better off getting a turntable like the this:

or

It depends on you. If you plan on using the turntable after the conversion takes place say on a daily basis, then go for option B. If not stick with the Carbon (option A)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
At that price point, from ProJect look at the Debut and Carbon, from Music Hall look at the MMF1 and MMF2 and from Rega, RP1 ( I may have screwed up the model number). These tables will be far better than the Pioneer from Best Buy. All of these new turntables sport a graphite tone arm which is far better than the tonearms found on older turntables including the Technics 1200.
Many years ago, I had a turntable with a carbon fiber tonearm. Mine was worse than my brother's older turntable that had an aluminum tonearm. Now, I did not switch tonearms to test them separately, but the point is that carbon fiber does not make the thing automatically better. I personally would rather have the Technics than any of the models you mention (though, to be fair, one cannot get the Technics new at those prices). Obviously, different people have differing opinions on this subject.

Also, if one wanted, one could mount a different tonearm on whatever turntable one purchased, though the Technics arm is good.

itschris

itschris

I don't think I'll become a vinyl guy, but will probably listen now and then. I can use the Pro-Ject carbon for both listening and recording correct? Also, what about software? I've read that getting your songs seperated and tagged correctly can be difficult without good software.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Many years ago, I had a turntable with a carbon fiber tonearm. Mine was worse than my brother's older turntable that had an aluminum tonearm. Now, I did not switch tonearms to test them separately, but the point is that carbon fiber does not make the thing automatically better. I personally would rather have the Technics than any of the models you mention (though, to be fair, one cannot get the Technics new at those prices). Obviously, different people have differing opinions on this subject.

Also, if one wanted, one could mount a different tonearm on whatever turntable one purchased, though the Technics arm is good.
I would choose he turntable I have, ProJect XpressionIII, over the Technics based on its tonearm. Its an amazing performer and the unit is dead quiet.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think I'll become a vinyl guy, but will probably listen now and then. I can use the Pro-Ject carbon for both listening and recording correct? Also, what about software? I've read that getting your songs seperated and tagged correctly can be difficult without good software.
Based on this which I gleaned from the ProJect web page, Pro-Ject Audio Systems
you are able to do both

8,6” carbon tonearm • Increased platter size with more weight
• Precision belt drive with synchronous motor
• New sorbothane motor suspension
• Felt mat
• Integrated Phone-MM preamplifier
Connections: line-level RCA to amp & USB to PC/Mac (simultaneously)

• magnetic cartridge option: OM 10
• 7 high-gloss colours

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

or

I buy a lot of gear for md, great service and they hae some good sales once and a while here is their project "store" PRO-JECT at Music Direct

For USB my brother uses a music hall unit that works and sounds great {music hall and project are great values in TT units} http://www.musicdirect.com/p-9826-music-hall-usb-1-turntable.aspx its very similar to my lp120 {which is also a very nice unit, not sure what they cost now..

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis