Looking for a good long run HDMI cable for my new JVC projector.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am sorry but what does your comment introduce to the discussion about power draw of the cables? Your advice is to buy the cable I need... thank you for that insightful comment.
Just a comment on referring to cables instead of in terms of their rated bandwidth, referring to them in terms of the hdmi version the avr/pre-pro/tv etc uses. What is the bandwidth of the cable you have now or the one you're thinking of getting/using? The length and active cables needed for longer lengths is somewhat a different subject.

S

sebna

Enthusiast
I need cable that supports all HDMI 2.0b functions so that is 18gbps. The length is 12-15m.

I could get 48gbit cable to support 2.1hdmi spec but what interest me the most is the safety of my gear so the power draw aspect of optical cables and how to prevent it from potentially damaging HDMI boards in the chain.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I need cable that supports all HDMI 2.0b functions so that is 18gbps. The length is 12-15m.

I could get 48gbit cable to support 2.1hdmi spec but what interest me the most is the safety of my gear so the power draw aspect of optical cables and how to prevent it from potentially damaging HDMI boards in the chain.
There is somewhat future proofing, too so why not get the best cable now just in case you upgrade some source requirements? Most gear can't do even 40gbps but even then....TLS is pretty good with the electrical stuff....he's very picky about it and has had some extreme experiences with even his utility.....

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Figured I’d revive this since it’s been a couple years. I just ordered a projector and my hdmi run is about 40’.
I’m hoping to use this cable from my processor
Limited-time deal: Snowkids 8K HDMI Fiber Optic Cable Long 2.1 50FT/15M, Ultra 48Gbps Unidirectional High Speed 3D 8K60 4K120 144Hz Braided HDMI Cord eARC HDR10 HDCP 2.2&2.3 Compatible with Roku TV/PS5/HDTV/Blu-ray https://a.co/d/diThYzS

It’s a lot cheaper than some other cables out there at around $80 so I’m hoping it’s not too good to be true.
What do you guys recommend for a 40’ run to carry a stable 4k signal?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Figured I’d revive this since it’s been a couple years. I just ordered a projector and my hdmi run is about 40’.
I’m hoping to use this cable from my processor
Limited-time deal: Snowkids 8K HDMI Fiber Optic Cable Long 2.1 50FT/15M, Ultra 48Gbps Unidirectional High Speed 3D 8K60 4K120 144Hz Braided HDMI Cord eARC HDR10 HDCP 2.2&2.3 Compatible with Roku TV/PS5/HDTV/Blu-ray https://a.co/d/diThYzS

It’s a lot cheaper than some other cables out there at around $80 so I’m hoping it’s not too good to be true.
What do you guys recommend for a 40’ run to carry a stable 4k signal?
I really can't asses that cable. Ruipro I think is the 'gold standard' and what I use.

Make sure you power it via a voltage inserter.

I note a number of premature failures reported with Snowkids cables. Also I note that the cable seems rather large. The Ruipro cables a much smaller diameter and highly flexible. There also seems to be doubt as to whether those cables really have the bandwidth to support current HT.

My advice is to stick with Ruipro. I have had one for nearly four years with zero issues. It was easy to pass. Make sure you place any of these cables in conduit, like ALL HT cables should be placed.

This is actually quite complex technology, and I would not go cheap on this type of cable in any of my installations. This is not like choosing speaker wire by a long shot.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I really can't asses that cable. Ruipro I think is the 'gold standard' and what I use.

Make sure you power it via a voltage inserter.

I note a number of premature failures reported with Snowkids cables. Also I note that the cable seems rather large. The Ruipro cables a much smaller diameter and highly flexible. There also seems to be doubt as to whether those cables really have the bandwidth to support current HT.

My advice is to stick with Ruipro. I have had one for nearly four years with zero issues. It was easy to pass. Make sure you place any of these cables in conduit, like ALL HT cables should be placed.

This is actually quite complex technology, and I would not go cheap on this type of cable in any of my installations. This is not like choosing speaker wire by a long shot.
This guy?

Limited-time deal: RUIPRO 8K Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 40 Feet 48Gbps 8K60Hz 4K120Hz Dynamic HDR eARC HDCP2.2/2.3 for RTX4080/4090/3080/3090, Xbox S/X, PS5/4, AVR, Projector, LG/Samsung/Sony TV https://a.co/d/cKyhroU

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

This guy?

Limited-time deal: RUIPRO 8K Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 40 Feet 48Gbps 8K60Hz 4K120Hz Dynamic HDR eARC HDCP2.2/2.3 for RTX4080/4090/3080/3090, Xbox S/X, PS5/4, AVR, Projector, LG/Samsung/Sony TV https://a.co/d/cKyhroU
Yes, that guy. They do come in a variety of colors though. Just don't power any of these cables from the port, though. All these cables draw power in excess of the HDMI spec, so you need a voltage inserter to power them. Otherwise you could be looking for a new HDMI board or new receiver. This is important.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Yes, that guy. They do come in a variety of colors though. Just don't power any of these cables from the port, though. All these cables draw power in excess of the HDMI spec, so you need a voltage inserter to power them. Otherwise you could be looking for a new HDMI board or new receiver. This is important.
I’ve been out of the projector game for about a decade. Can you link one you recommend?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This guy?

If you are running any cabling inside a wall, make sure it is CL2 rated. The one you linked is the green one which is not CL2 rated. On the same page, the black one is CL2 rated for in wall use. There should be no real difference in the cable itself, but the cable jacket is rated for fire safety when it is CL2 rated. So, I'd use the black one, and be darn sure that 40' is long enough for you. They certainly have it in various lengths that should all work fine for your setup.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure the brand matters.

This one is on Amazon.
I always forget... Which end of the cable does this go on? Projector side, or AV receiver side? I picked one up, and (of course) it doesn't say on the package, but I'm pretty darn sure that it does matter. Seems like it should be written everywhere!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I always forget... Which end of the cable does this go on? Projector side, or AV receiver side? I picked one up, and (of course) it doesn't say on the package, but I'm pretty darn sure that it does matter. Seems like it should be written everywhere!
It actually does not matter, but I put it at the receiver end, as it is more accessible there, and with more powering options.

Last edited:
bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
So far so great. Thanks for the help guys. Project is coming along beautifully. Just ordered the 125” 2.35.1 ratio screen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis