Looking at used PSB 500 speaker pair..rust mounting screws.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Some of the screws are rusted around the woofer as shown in the pic. I will replace them of course but is this indicative of another bigger problem? These will be used as spares in case I run into issues with the existing pair.
PSB_500.jpg

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Nice!

Um, were they kept outside? How did they rust?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wondering if these spent time at the coast where the salt would accelerate corrosion. Especially in a sunroom where the windows would often be open.
Also, usually a company uses the same hardware (or at least the same coating on the hardware) for all of the mounting screws. What differences do you see? It looks like some of the woofer screws were not rusted?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I'm thinking on the coast or garage duty.

I would just have to consider the price and go from there.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Some of the screws are rusted around the woofer as shown in the pic. I will replace them of course but is this indicative of another bigger problem? These will be used as spares in case I run into issues with the existing pair.
A lot of times it is just the screws (cheap ones), replace them -- sometimes I just paint over them -- you may want to paint over the inner screws that hold the tweeter to the faceplate

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I picked them up last night for $90 after listening to them. They sounded good and the rust on the the screws were not nearly as bad as the pics made it out to be. The grills are in better shape than my current ones which I have swapped to the active pair.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Nice find! Glad the rust was not too deep...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis