Long Road!: Brand New Onkyo Failed Me! What should I do?

P

powderhound

Enthusiast
Well about 5 months ago I found what I thought was a good deal on a complete HT system on craigslist. I came here to get some opinions and promptly decided to pass on the deal and build a new system.
I couldnt get a hold of an Outlaw sub at an affordable price due to shipping it up here to Alaska.
So I decided to go with Klipsch SW-112 Sub
Polk Speakers (TSI 200's & Center & 100's)
Onkyo TX-NR616 (FAILED)

Well after receiving everything, I go to hook it all up and have many issues with the HDMI on the Onkyo. After many hours with Tech support he comes to the conclusion that the board is messed up and needs to be shipped back. I go the route of returning it to Amazon instead.
So, here I sit. Essentially with $500 or so to spend on a new receiver that is capable of meeting my needs. I thought the 616 woulda worked out well but am now considering another due to the high failure rate of the Onkyo 616. The Tech support says they have had a tough time with many of there units. The 700 series and 800's have been doing great though. So should I drop in another $300-400 and upgrade to another Onkyo or is there something else out there you would recommend I look at knowing what my speaker selection is?
I liked the 3D capabilities of the Onkyo. Many HDMI ports are needed. Would like a strong amp to push the speakers to there potential. Mostly used for HD TV and Blue ray. Room is fairly rectangle and large in size. User friendly would be a plus as I am not the most knowledgable at this yet. Would appreciate something thats fairly simple to operate.
So with all that being said, what would you recommend I look into?

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Denon 3312. I've had it and had no issues at all. Awesome receiver. ADTG is always linking to amazon where you can get it at for around $500. Denons awesome, I've owned 3 of them without issue.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think you had your mind made up on the receiver lol, I think your first post was something like i picked my receiver which speakers....
But usually the Onlyos are decent, I know people love the 709 and 809....

If you had bad luck with onkyo I would stay away, burn me once shame on you twice shame on me...

How about denon, someone said they have 3312s on sale on amazon, check them out...

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I'll jump in and give a third thumbs up to the Denon 3312. Incredibly solid device for the money. Will have no problem driving your speakers and is fairly straightforward to operate. Tough luck on the Onkyo. When their stuff works, I personally think its great.

P

powderhound

Enthusiast
Thanks so far, I will look into Denon 3312. As far as the 809 goes, what all does that do over the 616 I did want. Onkyo claims that is a much more rock solid unit

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't put stock into anything Onkyo tells you. I've seen far too many posts here and other sites complaining about this brand. TLS has got it right. Its a company producing junk and they do NOT stand behind their product. This is one company I would love yo to see go bust unless they turn their QC problems around.

I'm sorry you're another Onkyo statistic. Take a look at Yamaha as well. Yamaha uses their home grown version of room correction and it does a good job as well. Couple that with bullet proof reliability and you'll have one solid receiver on your hands.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Same here; too many threads in the last approximately TWO YEARS about their quality that I would not buy one of their AVRs at this time. They used to be solid, now they are struggling.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My Onkyo 707 never gave me a problem at all. I would not hesitate to buy another one. You can look into Harman Karman too I love mine.

P

powderhound

Enthusiast
Whats the opinion on the Denon 3313?
Seems to be the newer model of the trusted 3312?
And if it came between the three
Denon 3312
Denon 3313
Onkyo 809

Whats my best option between them if the cost was the same?

Thanks and I look forward to your guys opinion on this?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon 3312
Denon 3313
Onkyo 809

If you don't need the latest features my suggestion is to go with the 12, the 13 has a couple of additional gadgets but seem to have gone on a diet, not that it matters much but I never feel like trading power for features that I don't/won't need.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think those $500 Amazon open box 3312 are all sold out. No surprise. They may have them again.

Also give Electronic Expo a call. They have sold brand new 4311 for $1225, 3312 $600, 3313 $800, all delivered prices.

Also call Vanns. They are closing, so they probably want to liquidate everything.

P

powderhound

Enthusiast
So, decision time. I need to order something now in order to get it home in time. So, unfortunately the 3312 is about the same price as he newer model 3313 right now. Would like to wait for a sale but time is not gonna allow that I'm afraid. So with that being said. what the general opinion here. Limited responses so far.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing wrong with Accessories4Less, but if you get an 809 from amazon, it's only $60 more for a brand new one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Denon 3312
Denon 3313
Onkyo 809

If cost is not a factor, I would get the Denon 3313, the successor to the 3312. Electronics Expo can sell them for around $800 if you call on the phone.

P

powderhound

Enthusiast
If cost is not a factor, I would get the Denon 3313, the successor to the 3312. Electronics Expo can sell them for around $800 if you call on the phone.
Well the 3313 is my new desired AVR!!!!!
Unfortunately Ele Expo does not ship to Alaska, period!
So they are out, think I found my other option and will attempt to purchase something in the next couple days. Our local BestBuy wants $1200 for this AVR!

Thanks for the great tips so far

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis