Long HDMI Cable Bench Tests - Monster Cable Shootout

Keep in mind one thing: this was a handy Apples to Apples comparison, regardless of whether it introduced jitter, used cable EQ, or matched the ATC spec. The alternative was to do nothing - which I for one don't find as attractive as what we accomplished, lol. Inserting jitter would make the tests harder to pass. However, by not including EQ, we actually made passing the tests more difficult. Of course I'm generalizing for public consumption here.

I also wish I could have done more cables... about a week and 500 more would have been great! I will be adding more over time and I'll add them to this table as I get them tested. If Kurt gets his rig I may make a trip over there (with his permission) and rustle up a lot more.

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
Gene, thank you for the time and effort you guys put into this test. It provides alot of valuable info for those who need it, before they spend thier hard earned cash on HDMI cables.

Peace,
Tommy

K

KurtBJC

Audioholic
Keep in mind one thing: this was a handy Apples to Apples comparison, regardless of whether it introduced jitter, used cable EQ, or matched the ATC spec. The alternative was to do nothing - which I for one don't find as attractive as what we accomplished, lol. Inserting jitter would make the tests harder to pass. However, by not including EQ, we actually made passing the tests more difficult. Of course I'm generalizing for public consumption here.
And to be clear, there's no criticism intended. I'm just pointing it out because although it is an apples-to-apples comparison it may not always generate meaningful results at the fine detail level, though the conclusions are probably broadly correct. What I recommend is that, when possible, people base their comparisons on actual ATC testing as that is against a spec-document based standard; unfortunately, very few sellers publish their ATC certificates (and some, sad to say, are untruthful about what their ATC approvals are; I have been seeing cables represented as Category 2 compliant which I am sure are not).

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, thank you for the time and effort you guys put into this test. It provides alot of valuable info for those who need it, before they spend thier hard earned cash on HDMI cables.

Tommy
Actually Clint did most of the work on this endeavor. I can't take any credit other than approving to send him on a Jet to the Monster - Monster Cable that is :eek:

C

Chad Nelson

Audiophyte
I just want to let you know that the PS3 will automatically increase the data rate to a deep color rate (2.23Gbps for 1080p @ 60Hz, 1.11Gbps for 1080p @ 24Hz) when it is connected to a television that is deep color capable. It does this for Blu-rays and during the PS3's main menu screen. I'm not sure if it does this for games, I haven't tested that.

When it detects that the television is deep color capable, by communication through the DDC handshake, it will automatically increase the data rate. I haven't found any way of disabling this "feature". Note that this reduces the usable cable-link distance considerably as you can imagine.

It is sad you cannot disable deep color operation since there is no deep color material and the 2.23Gbps reduces jitter margin quite a bit.

I was unable to verify that the PS3 works in this manner. I enabled Deep Color support and used it with a Deep Color-capable projector but was never able to see any difference in how it affected performance (via cable length) as compared to 1080p at 8-bit.

B

Bill Strehl

Audiophyte
Monoprice cables - which type

First let me say what a great review and primer you provided!! I am not sure about the other cable manufacturers you reviewed, but when I went to the Monoprice website the prices listed didn't match up so I am not sure which series was used in the review. Please let me know if you have time. Thanks.

Bill Strehl

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
First let me say what a great review and primer you provided!! I am not sure about the other cable manufacturers you reviewed, but when I went to the Monoprice website the prices listed didn't match up so I am not sure which series was used in the review. Please let me know if you have time. Thanks.

Bill Strehl
I'm sure that prices fluctuate. Just find the cables that you like the best and spring for them. If the cables are hidden and you're buying more than one, you might consider color coding them in case you have to disconnect cables for any reason. Just a thought.

For an educated guess of the cables, they probably used the Premium 24AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 cables which is the 4th grouping on the page.

Monoprice HDMI cables

-pat

D

Daarrid

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks first and foremost to Clint DeBoer for doing these excellent tests.

What has been missing, for far too long, is any empirical testing of HDMI cables - let alone a clear discussion of the HDMI specs.

Mr. DeBoer is to be congratulated for providing the first tests of these cables and also clearly explaining the HDMI specs and how these specs apply to currently available equipment.

Also thanks to Kurt of Bluejeanscable for adding a number of thoughtful remarks in this forum.

Thank you Clint!

Well done!

Daarrid

Last edited:
P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
Hi, I am new and looking into buying short 2 meter HDMI cables that will last for the long haul. I want to get ones with the highest bitrate so I don't have to upgrade expensive cables again when deep color and very fast refresh rates and higher resolutions become commonplace.

I'd also be nice if the cable had some kind of lifetime warrenty or something like that. Where could I go to find such a product?

I have been told several locations and they have great products but I can't seem to find bitrate listings on any of them. Perhaps someone here could shed some light as it appears you have been doing preformance tests on HDMI cables.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi, I am new and looking into buying short 2 meter HDMI cables that will last for the long haul. I want to get ones with the highest bitrate so I don't have to upgrade expensive cables again when deep color and very fast refresh rates and higher resolutions become commonplace.

I'd also be nice if the cable had some kind of lifetime warrenty or something like that. Where could I go to find such a product?

I have been told several locations and they have great products but I can't seem to find bitrate listings on any of them. Perhaps someone here could shed some light as it appears you have been doing preformance tests on HDMI cables.
Have you emailed anybody at Blue Jeans Cable with your questions?

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General

Quoted from monoprice.com

Question: What is Category 2
Answer: Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

Standard (or “category 1”) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz, which is the equivalent of a 1080i signal.

High-Speed (or “category 2”) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

It is possible for a cable to pass a 1080p signal and 1.3 extended bandwidth signal without being Category 2. These cables would have bandwidth that are beyond category 1 but below category 2. Most of our non-category 2 cables perform in this range.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=6#faq

2m (6 foot) Cat 2 HDMI cable.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
you are right, I looked at this audioholics article

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests/hdmi-cable-testing-results

plus the dvigear link they provided and it was very enlightening

why doesn't monster post what AWG their cables are rated at?
That's because they have separate gauges for both sides of the speaker wire. lol. And they put plastic in the middle so it's not really a true 16 gauge wire. I sold my monster cables with my receiver lol. That stuff sucks folks.

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
That's because they have separate gauges for both sides of the speaker wire. lol. And they put plastic in the middle so it's not really a true 16 gauge wire. I sold my monster cables with my receiver lol. That stuff sucks folks.
really? I already have one from awhile ago before I knew anything about A/V equipment and it hasn't caused me any trouble, in fact it's great albiet overpriced. I know people have a lot of bad blood, but i'm just interested in the technology.

They are considerably overpriced though, and I wouldn't buy another for that very reason.

you said part of it was 16 gauge? where did you get that info? what is the weakest part of it 22? 24? 28? just curious. I think instead of a lot of name calling people would be better convinced that they aren't all they claim to be if you show their stats and other companies identical side by side with much less price. So far as I can tell having a thicker gauge would be their only advantage at this point. anyone know the facts?

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
sorry, I'm not trying to troll, and I have found most the info out there, except the cable's gauge. That's the only thing I can't find. I somehow doubt that it is 16 as someone here as stated because it is no more bulky or stiff than my cables from other companies that are 22, sounds like a lie to make monster sound better. So far the best deals I can find are on monoprice, the best quality DVIgear, and the best standards meeting from bluejeancable.

I'm a facts guy, and never have any intention of causing any trouble, and can't understand people getting emotional about technology. I just like to gather data.

also in response to the thread you linked to, I'm don't have bose, I have a onkyo sound system :D. I don't have a lot of money to spend but I don't want my cables to be the weak link. I plan to someday get a 120hz or more television that supports deep color for when video games start supporting those features and don't feel like buying accessories twice.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis