Loadspeaker identification Help - The Carolette

S

Spiderman101

Audiophyte
Hi folks, I cannot find any information on this loadspeaker I have. Is a tripod mount connected to it, military green , labeled "The Carolette"..? See photo's.. Not sure the manufacture, age, how used, etc, and can not find any info on the web about it? Possibly, someone out there on the forum might know here..

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks, I cannot find any information on this loadspeaker I have. Is a tripod mount connected to it, military green , labeled "The Carolette"..? See photo's.. Not sure the manufacture, age, how used, etc, and can not find any info on the web about it? Possibly, someone out there on the forum might know here..
It is a public address horn, that would be mounted on a stadium, pole or on board ship. Almost certainly it would have been designed for a 70 volt system. The transformer was probably external. It would have been used with a number of identical units.

I suspect the compression diaphragm is well and truly rusted and ceased up by now.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
It is a public address horn, that would be mounted on a stadium, pole or on board ship. Almost certainly it would have been designed for a 70 volt system. The transformer was probably external. It would have been used with a number of identical units.

I suspect the compression diaphragm is well and truly rusted and ceased up by now.
Saw these things around a lot as a kid.

S

Spiderman101

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply and I was wondering who the maker was or other websites that I could find out more information about it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Spiderman101 I'd also suggest you to see if guys at AudioKarma forums could be more of help since they like vintage audio, but as TLS mentioned - this is a PA horn, basically it meant for high volume speech or low quality music. Not sure what is your goal with it.

S

Spiderman101

Audiophyte
My goal is to find out who made this PA horn and some history behind the model "The Carolette".. I will try what you suggested. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My goal is to find out who made this PA horn and some history behind the model "The Carolette".. I will try what you suggested. Thanks.
Why are you so curious? It is not a famous brand, and they were probably turned out in some grungy shop long ago and have never made it to the NET.

Your only hope will be to find some very old repair man and may be raise him from the dead.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Looking at that unit closer I think it has been home made, or made by a local radio shop.

The horn is not even designed correctly. It has a compression driver, which were, and are easily bought. However the diaphragm does not compress. There is no restrictive throat, nor a diffuser. The diaphragm opens out to a horn that has pretty much linear expansion and certainly not exponential. There are a couple of blanked off rivets, that make it look like it might have been made from some type of frying pan or wok.

If you are looking for a value, $0.5 to $1.0 at a garage sale. If you are in the UK 50P at a boot fair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis