List of Dolby Atmos 7.2.4/ DTS:X & X Pro 13.2 BD releases

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I thought I would start a thread with all of the 4K BD releases that exceed the common 7.2.4 or even 5.1.2.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I thought I would start a thread with all of the 4K BD releases that exceed the common 7.2.4 or even 5.1.2.
I could be very wrong, but anything object based should support whatever layout you have as long as it's part of the spec. I don't think it depends on the movie.

So now this can be what AVR/Pre pro supports layouts beyond the "standard".

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Pretty sure you’re right man. My mistake! Annnd this is why this forum is so great. Knowledge.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I could be very wrong, but anything object based should support whatever layout you have as long as it's part of the spec. I don't think it depends on the movie.

So now this can be what AVR/Pre pro supports layouts beyond the "standard".
Actually if I’m not mistaken, movies that are pre-rendered, or “printed to 7.1.4 such as Disney will not scale up to larger layouts. For example even if you have wides,(9.1.2) they won’t be used, unless the mixer has a encoded an object to be there. Otherwise the system will phantom image between the front and side(or surround in a 5ch bed). The upside is that DTSnx and I think DSU will upmix to those positions.
This is similar to how 7.1.2 mixes like ready player one use the top locations. If you have .2 tops it will playback normally. If you have .4 the tops will all play at the same time with no front to back panning. And if you have .6 only the top middles will play. Again, the upmixers will change that. That’s my nutshell version, and certainly things are missing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Actually if I’m not mistaken, movies that are pre-rendered, or “printed to 7.1.4 such as Disney will not scale up to larger layouts. For example even if you have wides,(9.1.2) they won’t be used, unless the mixer has a encoded an object to be there. Otherwise the system will phantom image between the front and side(or surround in a 5ch bed). The upside is that DTSnx and I think DSU will upmix to those positions.
This is similar to how 7.1.2 mixes like ready player one use the top locations. If you have .2 tops it will playback normally. If you have .4 the tops will all play at the same time with no front to back panning. And if you have .6 only the top middles will play. Again, the upmixers will change that. That’s my nutshell version, and certainly things are missing.
Interesting. So then an accurate list would be pretty helpful for those that care about this. I would be one that does.

I do remember the Disney mixes being garbage, but I didn't realize they hard coded the channels. Dumb decision.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. So then an accurate list would be pretty helpful for those that care about this. I would be one that does.

I do remember the Disney mixes being garbage, but I didn't realize they hard coded the channels. Dumb decision.
I think it could be helpful since many people are going beyond 7.x.4. Also, afaik, even a track that IS printed to 7.1.4/7.2.2 will still play back appropriately. It’s just the higher speaker systems that can’t use all the speakers that have problems. Still, I agree. I hate that they print tracks like that, and even worse I hate the 30hz soundbar mixes. Like WTF?????

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think it could be helpful since many people are going beyond 7.x.4. Also, afaik, even a track that IS printed to 7.1.4/7.2.2 will still play back appropriately. It’s just the higher speaker systems that can’t use all the speakers that have problems. Still, I agree. I hate that they print tracks like that, and even worse I hate the 30hz soundbar mixes. Like WTF?????
Mixing for soundbars has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis