Limited options.......please help

P

paulrlight

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I'll try and keep it brief.

I moved from Texas to Thailand a couple of years ago. I've had a few brands over the last 12 years or so. PSA, RSL, Ascend Acoustics, HTD.

Not that many choices here and it's very difficult to audition equipment.

So, I'm building a new home and the open plan living room/kitchen is LARGE. 6m X 9m X 2.8m plus an open hallway 10m X 2m.

IMG_5207.jpeg

I'm looking for a system that's good with 60% movies and 40% music.

Like the majority of people I'm trying to find a balance between price, performance and aesthetics. This would be much easier if Ivwas still living in Texas.

Thoughts and comments please on the following :

Marantz SR7015
KEF Q750
KEF Q650
Definitive Technology SR9080 surrounds (slightly behind sofa RED, mounted onto columns 1.5m high)

Subwoofer, the tricky one. I know that the following will not pressurize such a large space but these are my options

Definitive TechnologyDescend DN12900
TonewinnerSW-D6000958
RELHT/1205 MkII1150
SVSPB2000 Pro1200
VelodyoneDeep Blue 121236
SVSSB30001316

Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might want to check the reviews here on Audioholics for the SVS subs

I'd probably lean towards the PB2000Pro myself. Not familiar with Tonewinner subs (heard of their amps is all), Velodyne I just haven't seen much of since they somewhat revived their sub business....spec looks decent but would prefer to see third party testing. Never been crazy about Rel myself, tends to be overpriced.

Not much point to "auditioning" subs IMO.

D

DIBstangguy

Enthusiast
love my marantz cinema 50. it replaced a yamaha rx a1070. upgraded an old velodyne sw to a KEF Kube. initially liked it but it failed within 13 months. getting kef to resolve it under warranty was like pulling teeth. they blamed everything but the weather on the failure. after 4 months they finally resolved it. i have since gone another brand route and much happier. i am donating the kef to st vincents or good will. best of luck.

ps dont know about current velodyne tech, but my old unit was 20 years old b4 the amp gave up.

D

DIBstangguy

Enthusiast
BTW - I am running 2 REL HT1003MKII's now and love them. I started with one and it did great, but when I added the second a few months later...WOW! They sound great, they are precise, they are well built and they are priced reasonable. They come in cheaper than the Kef Kube series by $100 each on the 10's and the construction is superior as well as the sound. The 12 series should really move the air. My local dealer suggested the 12's but I didn't want the bigger boxes and I have always favored 10's which have always been able to satisfy my bass level taste.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi everyone,

I'll try and keep it brief.

I moved from Texas to Thailand a couple of years ago. I've had a few brands over the last 12 years or so. PSA, RSL, Ascend Acoustics, HTD.

Not that many choices here and it's very difficult to audition equipment.

So, I'm building a new home and the open plan living room/kitchen is LARGE. 6m X 9m X 2.8m plus an open hallway 10m X 2m.

View attachment 68608

I'm looking for a system that's good with 60% movies and 40% music.

Like the majority of people I'm trying to find a balance between price, performance and aesthetics. This would be much easier if Ivwas still living in Texas.

Thoughts and comments please on the following :

Marantz SR7015
KEF Q750
KEF Q650
Definitive Technology SR9080 surrounds (slightly behind sofa RED, mounted onto columns 1.5m high)

Subwoofer, the tricky one. I know that the following will not pressurize such a large space but these are my options

Definitive TechnologyDescend DN12900
TonewinnerSW-D6000958
RELHT/1205 MkII1150
SVSPB2000 Pro1200
VelodyoneDeep Blue 121236
SVSSB30001316

Thank you.
open plan living I’d go ported , less room gain in big rooms. 12/15” sub probably. Right around what you’re looking at just not sealed.
I mean unless you get a more powerful sealed then listed above . I don’t expect you’re going really loud anyway.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
You might want to check the reviews here on Audioholics for the SVS subs

I'd probably lean towards the PB2000Pro myself. Not familiar with Tonewinner subs (heard of their amps is all), Velodyne I just haven't seen much of since they somewhat revived their sub business....spec looks decent but would prefer to see third party testing. Never been crazy about Rel myself, tends to be overpriced.

Not much point to "auditioning" subs IMO.
Or go 2x PB1000 Pros.

I would also go KEF's all the way around. The T101s take little space, or can be wall mounted. Or the 350s or 150s. All these options have the uniQ driver like the front speakers you listed.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis