Limited auditioning opps: Selecting power for pair of bookshelves?

P

phoam

Audiophyte
I live in an area that greatly limits my opportunities to get out and audition much gear, so I'm hoping for some comparison input...

Building an A/V system (with more emphasis on music), either integrated or separate, powering two bookshelves, <$1500 on receiver/amps, <$1000 on two bookshelves (& maybe a sub).

Three integrated receivers I've considered:

Denon AVR-3805
Marantz SR8500
Onkyo TX-NR901

I'm also considering going for separate pre/power amps. However, I don't want to minimize features in the pre. Maybe a pair of Rotels??

Finally, this isn't the speaker forum, but the BW DM602 S3's had my attention until reading about how it handles bass.

Thanks for any input....

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
SR8500 if...

If all three units were priced the same, I'd take the Marantz over the Denon, and both over the Onkyo. The Marantz has more technology. The older Marantz SR8400 compares to the Denon 3805 in my opinion, and can be had right now at an extremely low price. You probably wouldn't notice any difference in sound, but would gain the newer technology and THX certification (which all of the above meet their specs).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14981&item=5776253437&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://us.marantz.com/shop/_templates/category.asp?cat=15

P

phoam

Audiophyte
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the Onkyo is out. I've enjoyed Onkyo receivers through the years, but I'm not sure the price meets the quality on the 901.

This receiver isn't for my primary listening/viewing setting, so many features (hdmi) aren't a necessity. The Denon AVR 3805 seems like the route to take.

I'm seeing a range of prices on the 3805. Any suggestions for where to look? Somewhere local would be ideal (there's a Tw*eter around, but they seem to be the highest...but may be the only local dealer).

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It depends on what and how much you want to spend. My budget was $800 max. I wanted the most for the money. I found a B type Denon for under $800 at www.ubid.com. It only had a 90 day warranty, but I figured if Denon refurbished it, it should work like new. Plus, with the money I saved, I could afford to have it repaired if something went wrong. It arrived without a scratch, and has never even hiccuped since I bought it 5 months ago. One of the best purchases I've made - knock on wood. I didn't have the opportunity to buy the Marantz SR8400 as it was not offered at the time. I considered the SR8500 and Harman Kardon AVR7300, but they were $1400 units. For what you get, I think I got a lot more for the money in the 3805. It's extrememly powerful, flexible, and beefy. I don't think it looks as nice as a Marantz, but it's in a wall unit behind glass, so looks didn't matter as much. Tweeter will deal if you tell them you've seen it for less somewhere else. You can buy the 3805 new for $870 and up plus shipping online. What's the going price for it now, locally?

R

RMK!

Denon 3805

Like Buckeyefan1, I bought my 3805 from UBID. Unit arrived as new and has been perfect.

P

phoam

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Tweeter will deal if you tell them you've seen it for less somewhere else. You can buy the 3805 new for $870 and up plus shipping online. What's the going price for it now, locally?
I'm also picking up a television (which is a little less at CC), but the option to get both at the same place would be nice. The 3805 is listed at $1199 on their website. Not sure how it compares to their in-store price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis