Lightning, Carver, & Homeowner’s Insurance…

S

Scotopia

Audiophyte
Lightning hit my tree, jumped to my house, went through it, and burnt-up a bunch of electronics. It then traveled through the underground wire, up the power pole, and fried the transformer! The good news is that the immediate burning smell wasn’t my house on fire, the tree didn’t fall, my insurance waived my deductible, and I now have a newer and better pc. The bad news is that my Carver Pre-Amp/Tuner CT-6 and my Carver amp TFM-45 are dead. I have replacement cost insurance. Can anyone suggest equally comparable new components that I may submit to my insurance company? i.e. The TFM-45 specs are 375Wx2 at 8 ohms, 20-20kHz with no more than 0.5%THD. I’ve never been in this situation before. I don’t know how to describe the pre-amp’s specs to them either. I paid about $800 for the amp in 1991, and the pre-amp was a very nice gift. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Just to clarify, I need to site the specs of the Carvers and find something of similar specs and quality to receive the replacement costs. I am an amateur audiophile.

Last edited:
P

pbarach1

Audioholic
Carver info

Sorry about your lighting fiasco! I won't suggest replacement equipment, but one option you might consider would be to buy replacement Carver equipment, the same models, on eBay. Lots of Carver equipment is for sale all of the time. The downside to this option (and I speak as a fellow Carver owner) is that Carver's current corporate parent is no longer providing repair service, and there are some Carver parts that are no longer available if your eBay purchases ever need repair. However, there are at least two places that are now claiming to specialize in Carver service (see the forum at http://www.carveraudio.com for info).

Even if you don't want to buy any used Carver pieces, eBay active or completed listings can get you the specifications of your fried Carver equipment.

S

Scotopia

Audiophyte
I had already looked on ebay & found my TFM-45 selling for $400. If I opt to replace what I bought new for $800 with a used unit that cost $400, I would be cheating myself out of $400 dollars when State Farm writes me the 1 big check. I don't actually have to buy the replacement, I just need to compare "apples with apples" and site today's purchase price. I've been learning all of this since the strike.

I looked online at the Sunfire 300~2, it has "300 watts (mine had 375) rms continuous - per channel - into eight ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.5% T.H.D."
I haven't called for a price yet.

Other than Sunfire what Brand would anyone suggest I investigate to try to match-up the specs of my Carvers?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Used gear

If you are considering used gear, check out audiogon.com. It is probably safer than used stuff on ebay.
Also, if you can't find the carver models you want, check about Parasound, Rotel and other manufacturers.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
You want to give them new gear prices, not ebay. They have to provide you with new replacements, not used ebay gear. If they're out of business, they're out of business. You want a product with a warranty.

Give them specs to the McIntosh MC402 amp. It's 400x2. The C46 would make a nice preamp. Don't tell them the amp weighs 144lbs. :rolleyes:

S

Scotopia

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
You want to give them new gear prices, not ebay. They have to provide you with new replacements, not used ebay gear. If they're out of business, they're out of business. You want a product with a warranty.

Give them specs to the McIntosh MC402 amp. It's 400x2. The C46 would make a nice preamp. Don't tell them the amp weighs 144lbs. :rolleyes:
That amp cost $5k!??? If so, not a realistic submission to state farm. I did find Carver NEW ZR1600"s for $900 http://www.aiconsol.com/zr1600-carver.html and are considering actually buying it when my claim is proccessed until you mentioned the warranty deal. Although before the strike I never had any problems with my Carvers I purchased in 1991. I am also considering going the 7:1 route instead- once I get my check, but that is then & this is now. All I need now is realistic new equipement replacement cost for the 2 channel stuff I had. My Sony DVP-CX955V 400-Disc player was also killed. It was an Xmas present last year. I like it but, there is no battery back-up, if you unplug it you have to input all the disc again! How can make such a thing? Is there a 400+ changer that has a battery back-up? This is a hard feature (for the common price), to find on cordless/digital answering machines also.

majorloser

majorloser

:mad:
Scotopia said:
I had already looked on ebay & found my TFM-45 selling for $400. If I opt to replace what I bought new for $800 with a used unit that cost $400, I would be cheating myself out of $400 dollars when State Farm writes me the 1 big check. I don't actually have to buy the replacement, I just need to compare "apples with apples" and site today's purchase price. I've been learning all of this since the strike.

I looked online at the Sunfire 300~2, it has "300 watts (mine had 375) rms continuous - per channel - into eight ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.5% T.H.D."
I haven't called for a price yet.

Other than Sunfire what Brand would anyone suggest I investigate to try to match-up the specs of my Carvers?
I think I'd stick with the Sunfire prices. This way you can say it's still a Carver price since it is his company. Insurance companys can get weird on you. Let's hope you still have a policy when it's all over. They're all cancelling policies right and left since the past hurricane seasons.

EDIT: Are you sure your old stuff wasn't Krell? :D

majorloser

majorloser

Surge Suppression

I think it's time you look into "whole house" surge suppression. You should even be able to get it through your power company. For a small monthly fee they come out and place the unit in the meter can behind your electric meter. It's their problem to install and they take care of it. Consider it insurance.
EXAMPLE: http://www.fpl.com/energy_services/surgeshield.shtml

I installed my own system.

I'm using this for whole house electric surge suppression:

http://www.atlanticscientific.com/products/mains/zonesentinel.htm

And these to protect the satelite coax:

http://www.atlanticscientific.com/products/networks/zonebarrier.htm

Last edited:
hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
If you get another huge capacity CD player, you might want to go to any place that sells PCs and get a UPS and put it on it. Not only will it keep power on it forever basically, but they have saved my stuff from getting blasted in a couple of strikes. I use APC brand, but there are several others. You can get one that would run a CD or DVD player for a long time for 50 bucks or so...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Scotopia said:
That amp cost $5k!??? If so, not a realistic submission to state farm. I did find Carver NEW ZR1600"s for $900 http://www.aiconsol.com/zr1600-carver.html and are considering actually buying it when my claim is proccessed until you mentioned the warranty deal. Although before the strike I never had any problems with my Carvers I purchased in 1991. I am also considering going the 7:1 route instead- once I get my check, but that is then & this is now. All I need now is realistic new equipement replacement cost for the 2 channel stuff I had. My Sony DVP-CX955V 400-Disc player was also killed. It was an Xmas present last year. I like it but, there is no battery back-up, if you unplug it you have to input all the disc again! How can make such a thing? Is there a 400+ changer that has a battery back-up? This is a hard feature (for the common price), to find on cordless/digital answering machines also.
LOL, I was being facetious. I HATE State Farm. I'm in the estimating biz, and have been through many hail storms with them. They are the worst for processing claims. Every roof in a neighborhood could have been replaced, but State Farm will come up with some rediculous way of conniving out of replacing the roof. They've even paid for half of roofs, siding, etc... and not paid to match the rest of the house. So take it to them, because the next thing they'll do is drop you like a hot potato - or raise your rates to make up for this loss. Trust me on that one.

That Carver amp is a pro amp. I didn't check, but make sure there's not an internal fan. It will drive you nuts. But the price closely matches what you paid back in the day. Don't forget about inflation. $800 back then is a whole lot more now. Pro amps are a fraction of what home stereo amps run watt for watt.

Now, as far as a 400 disc CD changer, consider upgrading to a file server. You can take those cd's and input them into a hard drive, and play them via a lossless codec for audio archiving. You can also consider copying them to a DVD+/-R format - no compression, and combine 20 CD's to one DVR+/-R. Your entire library would now be on 20 DVD's.

If that sounds like too much trouble, here's a 400 upscaling DVD changer that will play many different types of discs, with an HDMI input.
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=SON+DVPCX995V&JRSource=PriceGrabber.datafeed.SON+DVPCX995V

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I had a fire in a second floor bedroom several years ago. I went to a public adjuster to deal with the insurance company. The insurance company tried in every way possible to minimize their expense. The public adjuster was the only reason I was able to get fair and or replacement value for my lost possessions. The 10% fee I paid the adjuster was no problem because he got me more than twice what the insurance company originally offered. I recommend a public adjuster in situations like this. By the way the insurance company canceled and would not renew 2 days after paying.:D

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
LOL, I was being facetious. I HATE State Farm. I'm in the estimating biz, and have been through many hail storms with them. They are the worst for processing claims. Every roof in a neighborhood could have been replaced, but State Farm will come up with some rediculous way of conniving out of replacing the roof. They've even paid for half of roofs, siding, etc... and not paid to match the rest of the house. So take it to them, because the next thing they'll do is drop you like a hot potato - or raise your rates to make up for this loss. Trust me on that one.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more, State Farm has treated me GREAT over the years.

When I was in a wreck three and a half years ago, they not only paid for everything, less my deductible, of course, but due to delays in my truck being repaired, extended my rental car coverage to basically "as long as it takes", gave the body shop nightmares when I complained that my "new" front bumper was already rusty! Not to mention the almost total lack of brakes I had the first time the shop claimed it was fixed. They had me bring it to the claims center between visits to the shop and went under it and took pics and actually traced serial numbers on anything that wasnt absolutely brand new looking to see if the shop was "recycling" stuff that was supposed to be new. The adjuster and I went back to the shop, where she made the manager sweat bullets. Because it was taking so long, the adjuster whipped out the check book one day, and gave me $500 for all the BS I had been going through with the truck repairs.

Eventually I got my truck back, looking great, stopping fine too, but sadly, it had a series of electrical problems (common) and I finally gave up, and traded it for the "hemiram", my favorite vehicle of all time(That I have owned anyway).

I got another nice surprise from State Farm last month. When they settled their lawsuit against the uninsured driver that caused the crash, they sent me back my $500 deductible! I had ordered my new RX-V659 only hours before, so it was a very pleasant birthday surprise. BTW, my rates just went down again! for the 3rd time in a year and a half.

I lost a bunch of radio equipment due to a surge that occurred when a tree fell on a bunch of power lines in a storm about 16 years ago. I called my agent, expecting a brush off, even though it was all supposed to be covered. Instead, he told me that he would come over in a couple of hours, he was having lunch nearby, and looked at the damaged/destroyed radios and stuff, wrote down model numbers, and told me I would have a check in a few days, and a check for $1400 showed up 4 days later. I was able to buy used replacements in equal shape or better, for about $900, and the other $500 went towards a couple new toys!

They've treated me right for 25 years now. I'm staying with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis