LG + Denon = No Remote Control

C

culpable4502

Audiophyte
Edit - Solved - See comments.

Good day all. Got a question on something that I just had set up but needed to replace the TV. In other words all the equipment is the same including the layout but the TV is 6 years newer.

This time around I went with the LG brand. The older TV was a Samsung. On that Samsung I use the optical out to connect to a Denon receiver. This receiver is quite old I am well aware and it needs to be replaced but it's still functions for all purposes except for its display backlighting isn't working very well. I know... I know... this is the part word everybody cringes when I say I am connecting new gold to old rusty tin but, at last, let's see if we can get it to work.

I'm trying to do is simple. As I said above the setup is the same where I'm using the optical cable connected to the receiver and that is working. What I am no longer able to figure out how to do is control the volume with the LG TV remote. Is this possible? My son destroyed the Denon remote so my only option at this moment is to get off my lazy bum walk 10 ft away and adjust the knob on the receiver to adjust the volume.

The details --
Gold: LG OLED65G3PUA
Rusty tin: Denon AVR-2700

Lets see what you can come up with. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Good day all. Got a question on something that I just had set up but needed to replace the TV. In other words all the equipment is the same including the layout but the TV is 6 years newer.

This time around I went with the LG brand. The older TV was a Samsung. On that Samsung I use the optical out to connect to a Denon receiver. This receiver is quite old I am well aware and it needs to be replaced but it's still functions for all purposes except for its display backlighting isn't working very well. I know... I know... this is the part word everybody cringes when I say I am connecting new gold to old rusty tin but, at last, let's see if we can get it to work.

I'm trying to do is simple. As I said above the setup is the same where I'm using the optical cable connected to the receiver and that is working. What I am no longer able to figure out how to do is control the volume with the LG TV remote. Is this possible? My son destroyed the Denon remote so my only option at this moment is to get off my lazy bum walk 10 ft away and adjust the knob on the receiver to adjust the volume.

The details --
Gold: LG OLED65G3PUA
Rusty tin: Denon AVR-2700

Lets see what you can come up with. Thanks in advance!
Why on Earth would you use optical ?
Use HDMI and it will probably work....optical has no means of communication with the set to sync any remote controls.
In some case if it doesn't...and it should, just get another Denon remote.
Surely you don't want to adjust the Denon using the front buttons.
Why do you think that Denon is old and needs replaced ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Use HDMI and it will probably work....optical has no means of communication with the set to sync any remote controls.
Because he's got an AVR-2700 rather than an X-2700?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to the remote thing, this is why I use universal remotes rather than try and rely on one unit's remote to control more than one well....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Try the Universal Remote function in the Magic Remote. To do so, turn on the TV and…

Press Settings button>Select All Settings>Select General>Select Devices>Select External Devices>Select Universal Control Settings>Select Optical>Select Manage Settings>Select Start Setting>Select Yes when asked to continue>Select Denon from manufacturer list and test different codes until it works.
An older AVR may not work so best of luck with it.

C

culpable4502

Audiophyte
Solution for future readers:

To achieve this, because this remote is Bluetooth only and does not have IR on it, the IR blaster was needed from the TV. First connect that and position the other end near your receiver. It has to be in front of it wherever your device has its IR receiving port. I wasn't getting a good signal so I ultimately just taped it directly to the front of the receiver right in front of the port. The TV came with 3M double-sided tape for this purpose.

Next go to:
settings,
general,
external devices,
universal control settings.

Once in there you'll have to set up your receiver or other device. In my case it was the Denon. It should be noted that it showed that it was programming a Denon soundbar on the screen. At first it didn't work but as you go through the process it took three or four attempts so I'm guessing it was changing the code that the IR blaster was using at each attempt. But about the third or fourth attempt the receiver turned off indicating it was programmed. And I can adjust the volume with the remote. Win!!

C

culpable4502

Audiophyte
I got this Denon used about 20 years ago. It's a unit that doesn't have HDMI ports on it. So my only option is to use the optical to provide the Dolby surround capabilities that I use. Also the backlighting has been dimming and is to the point where you can barely see any longer. And the last point is that the remote control has gone kaput. Either way it's still functions and now that I figured out how to control the volume again, it will suffice for the time being.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis