LG 60pk550 picture settings

J

Jean-Paul

Enthusiast
hi guys. i am new in this scene. i have a 60pk550. wht would be the best picture settings for
1) tv
2)ps3
3)dvd's
Picture menu:
Aspect ratio:
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert 2
Contrast:
Brightness:
H Sharpness:
V Sharpness:
Color:
Tint: 0

--Expert control menu
Dynamic contrast:
Noise reduction:
Gamma:
Black level:
Film Mode:
Color Gamut:
xvYCC:
Edge Enhancer:
Color Filter:

Color Temperature:
Method:
Pattern:
Red Contrast:
Green Contrast:
Blue Contrast:
Red Brightness:
Green Brightness:
Blue Brightness:

Color management system [ ]
thank you
thank you

L

Laimac

Audiophyte
Looking for same info

I'm a total newbie when it comes to AV settings :confused: and have just purchased the LG 60PK550. So far, pretty satisfied with the quality :) but just feels like settings are slightly off, which I have read about too.
If anyone has personal views on how to best alter the factory settings, would be much appreciated (from my perspective, mostly looking for movie/satTV settings, no need for 3 different setups)

Thanks in advance!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'll copy/paste some various posted recs I have found for you guys. All I did was use keyword search in the AVS owner's thread.

Here are what my settings look like, Gamma 2.28, most Delta E values for greyscale above 30% are under 2. I bolded the non-default values.

Contrast 67
Brightness 50
H 50
V 50
Color 62
Tint 0

Expert

Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Gamma Medium
Black Low
Film On
Color Gamut Standard
Edge Enhancer Off

White Balance Warm
Method 2 Points
Pattern Outer

Red C -5
Green C 0
Blue C 12

Red B -2
Green B 0
Blue B 2

I did this with a Spyder2, best I have unfortunately.
LG Plasma color temperature

Warm = 6500K
Medium = 9300K
Cool = 11000K

It is reported on all the service manuals (I have many, 2008 and 2009 models).

Of course you will never find that values being perfect out-of-the-box. About Warm, it could be between 5500k to 6500k depending of the IRE value you are checking with a meter (colorimeter). That's why, on the Expert settings (Advanced) you will find the white balance settings (2 points or 20 points). If you have a meter and the right software (the free HCFR or the Calman) you can get it calibrated so that you will have 6500K at all the IRE points. Same thing for Medium and Cool.

Sometimes people don't like the Warm color temperature of their HDTVs because they are used to spend a lot of time in front of their pc monitor, which usually are not setted to 6500k. But that's wrong . You should have all your display working at 6500k when you watch video (Channels televisions, DVD, BD and so on).

That's how it works.
I had some problems with the calibration, but finally turned out that my EyeOne was reading the Green color badly (20% lower ) so I solved the problem in other way.

1.Get into the Ez-Ajust menu (service mode)
2.Going to White Ballance
3.Selecting the Medium Settings
4.Reset (it should put R,G, B to 192 )

Reset all settings to default in all View mods (USer, Expert1 & 2)
Set contrast & brightness using the AVCHD patterns
After that, the gray bar and everything related to colors is PERFECT! Nothing else to be done.

So stop to spend your time and money with calibration and stuff because following those steps requires nothing else. Just try and see for yourself.

Hope it helps!
In Cinema mode, set your gamma on med, black level on low, color temp to warm. Then set contrast to 75, brightness to 52. This gave me a 2.19 average gamma tracking value (which is about as close as I could get without doing a grey scale calibration) with a light output of 32 ftl. Just a change of one value on the brightness can make a difference in the gamma, so you may need to go up or down a notch or two to account for differences in displays.
There is nothing wrong with the 550 though. I did a 20 pt grey scale (expert mode) and have a 2.21 average gamma tracking. This set can really put out a great picture.

That's enough for now, there are a hundred more hits (the above are the oldest ones I think):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235720

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis