Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
...What is recommeded these days? I saw the review of the Buttkicker and it really seems to beckon me, I've also found positive reviews of the Aura Bass-shakers. I'll have some extra cash coming my way around New Years and am thinking of spending it on a 42" LCD and maybe some bass shakers. Can the bass shaker units(W/O their amp) be used with an Audiosource Amp One? Or do I need their proprietary amp? Ive seen the motion control shakers on Ebay for as little as $60>

All input is appreciated.

Jack

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
What? The VX860 isn't enough in your apt.? I guess you need the xtra kick in the @$$!!! LOL :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

AVRat said:
What? The VX860 isn't enough in your apt.? I guess you need the xtra kick in the @$$!!! LOL :rolleyes: :D :cool:
The VX860 sounds great, I'm in a basement apartment with hard tile floors (over concrete), so I don't really get to feel anything through my couch. The walls will shake, just not the couch. I figure if I add an lfe kit, it'll really add some WOW factor to movies. That and you can never really have enough lfe. :D

Anyway, what are people using these days and whats the best cost/performance ratio? I'm still going to be on a budget, so anyway I can keep the cost down and the performance up is appreciated.

Jack

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Jack Hammer said:
The VX860 sounds great, I'm in a basement apartment with hard tile floors (over concrete), so I don't really get to feel anything through my couch. The walls will shake, just not the couch. I figure if I add an lfe kit, it'll really add some WOW factor to movies. That and you can never really have enough lfe. :D

Anyway, what are people using these days and whats the best cost/performance ratio? I'm still going to be on a budget, so anyway I can keep the cost down and the performance up is appreciated.

Jack
I don't like the saying "WOW factor". Whenever anyone heres my HT, it's always "Holy Sh!T" so I'd rather it be the "holy sh!t" factor. :D

Why not put that money towards one of the big push-pull subs from M&K?

SheepStar

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Sheep said:
I don't like the saying "WOW factor". Whenever anyone heres my HT, it's always "Holy Sh!T" so I'd rather it be the "holy sh!t" factor. :D

Why not put that money towards one of the big push-pull subs from M&K?

SheepStar
I've been looking at those subs for a bit now and will end up getting one at some point. Right now, I'm not sure I have room in my tiny place for one. They are huge and also expensive. I thought if I could pick up a couple of the shakers for around $50-60 of ebay and maybe run them off of a refurbed amp ($100) then I could use that now for late night(really all the time) viewing for under $200. I've got a little over a grand coming my way around the end of the year. Initially, I was going to buy a bigger, badder sub with that money, but I've decided to update my 6 year old 36" tubed tv to a ~37-42" widescreen lcd. Then I'd get these to fill in the gap.

My real concern would be how powerful of an amp I'd really need. The one that comes with the kit is something like 1000w at 4ohms. How powerful of an amp would I need to do this? Am I better off getting the whole setup for $400 and is it worth it? (I have ceramic tile floors over concrete)

Thanks

Jack

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Amp for bass shakers

Keep in mind that these things will be moving a couch or chair with a few hundred ponds of weight on it. My impression is that you need a lot of power. The Buttkicker amp has 1000 Watts of power and can connect 1-4 of the 4-ohm buttkicker. I think the AudioSource amp you mention is 50 Watts per channel.

For about $350, the buttkicker LFE kit includes everything you need with room/power to expand.
http://www.amazon.com/Buttkicker-BK-LFEKit-Frequency-Effect-Amplifier/dp/B0006FK42S

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis