Less Bassoutput when playing on all channels

A

Aesop

Audiophyte
Since the internet doesn't adress this issue, I hope this forum can help me out:

I have an Monitor Audio Bronze 5 HT set with a Yamaha A1050 receiver. I'm very happy with both, however, I have an issue when playing music on all channels.
My set up is standard: front and surrounds on small, 80 and 90hz crossover, surrounds three feet above earheight and slightly behind the listening position. Playing music straight (fronts and sub) and movies on 5.1 sounds terrific, however on some occasions I prefer listening music on all channels. I use the 7channel option on the receiver to achieve this. Doing so, bassoutput seems to be far less than on straight modus.
I've varied with the crossoversettings of the surrounds, I had the mains on large, I even disconnected the sub, nothing seems to solve this issue.
Can anyone shine a light on this?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Since the internet doesn't adress this issue, I hope this forum can help me out:

I have an Monitor Audio Bronze 5 HT set with a Yamaha A1050 receiver. I'm very happy with both, however, I have an issue when playing music on all channels.
My set up is standard: front and surrounds on small, 80 and 90hz crossover, surrounds three feet above earheight and slightly behind the listening position. Playing music straight (fronts and sub) and movies on 5.1 sounds terrific, however on some occasions I prefer listening music on all channels. I use the 7channel option on the receiver to achieve this. Doing so, bassoutput seems to be far less than on straight modus.
I've varied with the crossoversettings of the surrounds, I had the mains on large, I even disconnected the sub, nothing seems to solve this issue.
Can anyone shine a light on this?
Check the bass setting for the subwoofer- if it's not set to LFE+Main, change it.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
If you think the bass is good in stereo and movies, I suspect it may be a simple setting in all-channel-stereo. Go into all-channel with music playing, and check your bass settings.

I don't remember if my Yamahas did it, but Denon "remembers" your bass settings for each mode. I have the sub volumes set at 0dB for stereo. They are set for +6dB in Dolby PLIIx Cinema, (TV).

You may have a "+ something" setting for stereo and TV, but a "- something" subwoofer setting for all-channel mode.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"All Channel" mode essentially takes two channel source and kerfutzes with it in order to send "something" to each speaker. I've noticed on my Denon that the sound loses definition and the bass is muffled. I blame this on the DSP trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Could this be what you're noticing?

The best way to try this is to listen to the music in two channel (plus subwoofer) and see if the situation changes.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Simple solution: don't do that.

I tried "all channel stereo" before and found it useless. I agree with Mark that it likely has to do with the reprocessing of the signal.

A

Aesop

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses, I found some options to tweak the sound of the all channel setting (level, front-rear and left rightbalance) but nothing related to bass.
Its not that big a deal, I prefer listening on 2 channels most of the time.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
This reminds me of one feature on my NAD T758 receiver that I've really come to appreciate, and it seems to be the exact opposite of what the "All Channels" mode of that particular Yamaha. It is NAD's "Enhanced Stereo" mode.

In the setup menu I have set it so when I select that mode (with my 5.1 system), it shuts off the center speaker and outputs through just the L-R mains and surrounds, and sub. I use this primarily for when I'm moving around the house. If I'm in the living room where the system is, I'm usually in "stereo" mode which is L-R mains & sub.

I don't know what NAD has done internally for this mode, but it totally unlike the settings I have for surround sound. Instead, it seems to send a stronger signal to the surrounds. Being R100's, they can handle it well. The total sound level seems to increase noticeably, and sometimes I have to lower it. I do lose the true stereo imaging, though everything else about it sounds better. Everyone who has heard me switch modes in "midsong" has just gone bug-eyed with the jaw drop. Maybe it's the room too. Mid-bass suddenly gets even stronger and it just WORKS. I can't explain it but it sure is the complete opposite of the above. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis