Lengthening / Splicing Question... Real Simple One! :D

C

Customone

Audiophyte
Hey all, I'm a noob poster on this site with a verrry noob question. I got a Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System for Christmas this year.. here's a link to the product...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9067

kk so anyway this is a VERY entry level speaker system and I intend to set it up in a room about 10 x 15 feet. The thing is that the wires included aren't long enough to place the satellites where I want them, and I just need some basic advice on lengthening/splicing... I assume I'll be voiding the warranty, which is 100% fine if thats required to lengthen the wires, but anyhoo...

So I actually don't have the unit yet and thus havn't seen it, but I'm assuming it uses that basic computer red/black 2-ply audio wire, (rca wire?)... assuming it's that stuff,

1) What type of wire should I look/ask for? Do I need to worry about gauge or should I walk into Future Shop and say: "Gimmie sum of that compu-tater speaker wire plzplz."

2) What are the proper steps for a good splice job? Where should the line be cut? How do I make sure I'm preserving the sound quality and so on?

Any input would be much appricated! :D

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
I have the same system for my computer, and let me tell you, these are computer speakers. From the Logitech website, you can order an adapter that converts the computer type plugs to rca plugs so you can use it for your tv, but it is not true multi-channel sound. Its basically stereo spread across 5 speakers. If you're using it for your computer, make sure you have a 6 channel sound card to take advantage of the system. And remember, this system doesn't use real speaker wire, it uses rca type wires (subwoofer cable).

About lengthening the wires, don't do anything fancy. Just buy a little rca extender (it looks like this only you don't need both of them:http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/8c/32/0a_1.JPG , and then buy a cheap (under 10 dollars) subwoofer cable (http://www.accellcables.com/press/productImages/Subwoofer_Cable.jpg) to extend it.
(so basically DONT cut/splice anything, its just a matter of extending the wires via an adapter, and it doesn't void the warranty, and I would know, I did the same thing myself :)).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
sublime1

sublime1

Enthusiast
Splicing

Ok, well back in my day, I used lamp cord, which at 5 cents a foot was a great bargain. And while these speakers are cool and will do the trick nicely, I would guess there's no real benefit from buying anything fancy -- some plain speaker wire should do fine. So this is just to let you know I am probably not the right guy to answer. But what the heck, I will anyway. :)

If the current ends of your speaker wire are terminated, for example with RCA connectors or stereo mini-plugs, you can get extenders from places like Radio Shack. If they are terminated but you're feeling the urge to cut and splice, you can make it work, but it's probably a mess, since most likely the conductors are coaxial (a thin one on the middle, some insulation and a braided wire around the outside of the insulator). If they are round, they are probably like this; if they are flat with a split down the middle, they are speaker wire, even if perhaps very small gauge.

So if it's just simple speaker wire, which I am guessing they are not, you can do a couple of splices that will work fine. Get another piece from a store (or maybe steal from some appliance that doesn't need wire anymore :). A tried and true technique is, for both pieces: 1) cut, 2) split the two conductors, 3) strip 1/2" from the ends of the four wires, 4) twist the ends together, 5) electrical tape each connection, then 6) fold them flat and electrical tape over the whole thing. It's a work of art when complete that you'll be proud of for years to come. Or at least until it comes apart.

People who are not sloppy hackers like myself might 1) get a soldering iron and solder the strands together, or 2) get a crimpy/shrinky-dink connector (the technical term, I believe). First slip on the shrinky thingy, then slip the wires to be spliced into the metal crimp connector. Crimp with pliers or something, then slide a heat-shrink tube over the connection, heat with lighter, blowtorch, stove, magnifying glass, etc. until it shrinks nicely around the connection. Very neat.

In either case, do make sure to match up the polarity -- plus and minus should stay the same from end to end. Most speaker wire is either colored on one strand, or has a ridge on the insulation. If not, just flatten the wire out and make sure that you keep them lined up.

If the strands are really thin, like small headphones with mini-plug, think twice -- these can be thread wrapped with aluminum and can be a real pain. Get an extender in this case.

Or, leave the speakers close -- there's a reason the wires are not so long :)

Tom

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Ok, sublime1, your input is great for regular speaker wire, but for pc wire it will ruin the system/is impossible. Good explanation though. :)

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
yeah rca cable is a lot harder to cut and splice.

just buy a double femal piece, so you can connect two together.

C

Customone

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your responses. Well, I picked up the unit yesterday and yes, the satellites terminate in jacks... they're not hard-wired right through the casing of the subwoofer.

So, it should be pretty easy to find an extention/adapter for it...

Here's a secondary question, hehe I'm gonna highjack my own thread and re-direct it slightly.

The L/R front and L/R back satellites appear to be the exact same speakers, and the documentation that came with them seems to suggest that they're the same wattage, etc. Of course, they're color-coded for easy installation into the Sub... no problem. The only difference is that the back set of speakers has substantially longer wires for them, and because of my particular setup in the room I'm in I wanted to use the "back" speakers in the front ports on the sub... This way I'll only need to buy 2 x adapters/extentions instead of 4 of them. Would I be foolhardy to try this? Would I risk blowing anything up? :)

- Thanks alot for your advice!
Customone

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Customone said:
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your responses. Well, I picked up the unit yesterday and yes, the satellites terminate in jacks... they're not hard-wired right through the casing of the subwoofer.

So, it should be pretty easy to find an extention/adapter for it...

Here's a secondary question, hehe I'm gonna highjack my own thread and re-direct it slightly.

The L/R front and L/R back satellites appear to be the exact same speakers, and the documentation that came with them seems to suggest that they're the same wattage, etc. Of course, they're color-coded for easy installation into the Sub... no problem. The only difference is that the back set of speakers has substantially longer wires for them, and because of my particular setup in the room I'm in I wanted to use the "back" speakers in the front ports on the sub... This way I'll only need to buy 2 x adapters/extentions instead of 4 of them. Would I be foolhardy to try this? Would I risk blowing anything up? :)

- Thanks alot for your advice!
Customone

They're all the same speakers, they just color coded it for easy installation. I can't see what problem would occur. Are you using these for your computer or for your tv because you need this adapter to connect it to your tv:http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10036, and then you get 5.1 stereo.

EDIT: I just switched the rca cables and it works and sounds the same, just make sure you align the speakers the way it tells you, like if you want to use the rear surround speakers for front speakers, make sure it still plugs into the corresponding place where you put the speakers (rear left to front left, rear right to front right).

PM me if you need any more help.

C

Customone

Audiophyte
Hey,

I'll be using these speakers primarily for the computer... the adapter you mentioned came in the box, too... I dunno if that was a standard in-the-box item when you bought yours.

Also (lol) I'm going to hijack my own previously hijacked question and add another one...

I have tested the speakers multiple times and my center speaker is working fine during these tests. However, while playing music or games I do not believe I have heard it kick it once. It shares the same jack as the sub does on this system, and I don't know if that is typical or not. I was at a friend's house a few years ago and (I think) he was explaining to me that center speakers only process audible sounds under certain conditions (I can't recall what he said those conditions were).

Is this typical? If it is, could someone offer an explanation about why center speakers function so passively? If not, do you have suggestions for correcting it?

Thanks again!
Customone

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Customone said:
Hey,

I'll be using these speakers primarily for the computer... the adapter you mentioned came in the box, too... I dunno if that was a standard in-the-box item when you bought yours.

Also (lol) I'm going to hijack my own previously hijacked question and add another one...

I have tested the speakers multiple times and my center speaker is working fine during these tests. However, while playing music or games I do not believe I have heard it kick it once. It shares the same jack as the sub does on this system, and I don't know if that is typical or not. I was at a friend's house a few years ago and (I think) he was explaining to me that center speakers only process audible sounds under certain conditions (I can't recall what he said those conditions were).

Is this typical? If it is, could someone offer an explanation about why center speakers function so passively? If not, do you have suggestions for correcting it?

Thanks again!
Customone

Do you have a 5.1 sound card and are you able to insert all 3 wires into the computer tower (green, black, and orange)? If so, then just make sure you have your soundcard enabled to process 5.1 sound, go to start, control panel, and switch to classic view if it's not already in classic view, and click on the "sounds and audio devices" icon. If the first tab that shows up isn't "volume", click the volume tab and then click the "advanced" button under "speaker settings" (it's the second advanced button). Then choose from the drop-down menu under speaker set-up, "5.1 surround sound speakers", and click apply. You can also check the other tab "performance" and make sure your hardware acceleration is at full speed. Also, check your volume and make sure the balance is set to the center (not to the far right or far left). If this doesn't solve your problem, it's probably because the center channel is mainly used for dialogue and if you're playing music, it may not be used all the time. Hope this helps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis