Legacy Phase Tech PC80s

eagleshadow

eagleshadow

Audiophyte
I have had these speakers since 1995. They are currently L/R in my 5.1 system. They were due for a refresh 10 years ago but alas I move slowly. I have purchased an Elac b6.2 center to the replace the Phase Tech Center which slowly became unbearable. I am on the cusp of buying L/R Elacs to complete the update to my 5.1 system. The fate of the PC80 L/R pair and the PT Center is undecided. I am thinking of using the PC80's as back channels in a 7.1 system and the PC Center as a doorstop (its heavy enough).
I like to rescue or re purpose speakers or whatever I am concerned with if practical. Old timers may recall that Phase Tech used to be a hot item 20 years ago but have now faded into obscurity under the MSE banner. They were odd ducks then using a flat planar foam filled cone. They did sound great for the day, but that planar cone technology seems to have sailed and sunk at sea years ago having been dumped by Phase Tech a decade ago. Yes I can have these drivers reconed if necessary. I do like the elegant walnut veneer enclosures which feeds my desire to save these old guys.
I was thinking of having some fun with the enclosures and use modern conventional drivers. The OEM driver size is a non standard 6" at 6 ohms. I can adapt the diameter downward but not upward (not enough real estate). I hope to keep the impedance at 6 ohms so as to save the crossover. Crossover is 2.5 kz with a 1" silk dome tweeter. I don't want to go high end on drivers as that defeats the purpose of my project. Remarks, comments or critiques gratefully accepted!

Thanks;

Attachments

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
....Old timers may recall that Phase Tech used to be a hot item 20 years ago but have now faded into obscurity....
In 1988 I bought a set of PC 50/60 (bookshelfs, stands, subwoofer), an NAD integrated amp, Audio Alchemy CD transport and Audio Achemy outboard DAC. At the time, for the money I spent, I don't think you could get any better sound. I used this system until the surrounds dry rotted on the woofers and the volume control on the NAD made noise. Brings back memories.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis