LCRS in low-budget setup for medium-size home theater

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I don't see Sony AVRs recommended hear often but the STR-DN1080 checks most of your boxes. Rated at 100W/ch into 6 ohms (8 ohm rating would be lower) but if you're not looking for movie theatre volume levels that should drive any of those speakers fine (speakers with a higher sensitivity rating will play louder with the same amplifier power). You don't need to match speaker power rating to amplifier rating. Speaker ratings are just maximums to avoid damaging them and speakers sensitivity is more important. 4k/120 is more for gaming systems so I think the 40k/60 support is fine.

Onkyo / Pioneer recently sought bankruptcy protection but they are being taken over by another company and will continue to operate. Look at Denon AVRs in the same price range and compare features before making a final decision.

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
I'm located in Alberta & I represent a subwoofer manufacturer, I also have access to authorized new & B-stock Denon & Marantz products plus the complete KEF & Polk speaker lineups (amongst others)… I'd be happy to try & assist.
Send me a hello if you'd like some pricing.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I got the Sony STR-DN1080 set-up at my Mom's today and she got the $250 plus taxes credited to her Mastercard. It comes with a Sony 2 Year Factory Warranty. And my Mom's Mastercard adds another year of coverage. Strangely the manual that came with it was in French & Spanish - no English. I got it all working from memory, as my French has gotten pretty weak over the years, except I didn't get the Pass Though tweaked correctly. When I got home I looked it up, and sent Mom an email with the instructions. If she struggles, I'll do a Facetime call to walk her through it.

I got a call from my brother tonight (the one who I gave the old Denon to some time ago) and he told me he bought the Sony STR-DN1080 for $550 CAD tonight as he just couldn't resist the deal => and he's been a Sony Fan for 30 years. (By the way the Denon Receiver I gave him died shortly after he got it - so he's been without an HDMI receiver for many months -maybe even a year.) What a strange few days o_O

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hey everyone, thank you so much for your contributions. This has already been the liveliest thread I have ever initiated. I only had time to consider some of your suggestions and look for deals online. Instead of replying to each post, I am choosing to consolidate thoughts in a list below to reduce clutter. Just a reminder that I am looking for a compact LCRS speaker set, a sub and 5.1.2 AVR for around $2K CAD (~$1.5K USD) for a 22ftx14ft room. Its worth adding now that my folks have sound transmission concerns as they upgrade from an old Sony HTIB so expectations are relatively low and I aim for acoustic treatment in future.
@-Jim-, hope you and your mom get great value out of the receiver. I can relate to seeking features like having a simple remote.
Thanks for detailed reply, Eppie, I am looking for a slim (low depth dimension) center speaker and I am afraid a single bookshelf center under my TV will not work as well in my setup with 2-tier seating.
@mrhifi => I looked up the speaker impedances of the PSBs and the SVS, but I tire of doing easy web searches that you can /should do.

The PSB's in the High Quality listing have a nominal 6 Ohm impedance rating. The PSB CENTURY 600i tower speakers in the Awesome ad are 8 ohms but quite old. (Caution) The Center CENTURY 100Ci is 6 ohms. All will be fine with the STR-DN1080. PSB 4T Specs The SVS speakers will be fine with the STR-DN1080. The STR-DN1080 can handle 4-8 ohm speakers but I'd stay to 6-8 ohms as to not strain the receiver with your 5.1.2 configuration.

By the way your in ceiling SONANCE MAG6R SUR 6.5inch are 8 Ohms as well, and the STR-DN1080 will be able to drive it just fine. Actually, a quick look at the brands you selected should all be fine when driven by the STR-DN1080.

But I wouldn't entertain the NHTs, or the Paradigm LCR speakers which looks like a sound bar. The Onkyo Receiver on the eBay Ad is a dinosaur and frankly like most folks here, I've never been a fan of that brand. And I'd stay away from the new ones since the bankruptcy declared recently.

I hope this is helpful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis