LCR Speakers Sound Different

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I meant I am standing directly in front of the speakers so I can be sure it isn't the room acoustics causing the center to sound different. My speakers are mounted over my fireplace, so they are higher up than I'd like them to be, but IIWII.
Having the tweeters at different heights, plus turning one on its side could very well explain the differences your hearing. The reason it's recommended to have your tweeters at ear height is because higher frequencies have a much tighter dispersion pattern. That's why there's usually a "sweet spot" and toe in can have such a dramatic effect.

Mounted over the fireplace... you're managing to hit on everything we recommend against, lol.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Having the tweeters at different heights, plus turning one on its side could very well explain the differences your hearing. The reason it's recommended to have your tweeters at ear height is because higher frequencies have a much tighter dispersion pattern. That's why there's usually a "sweet spot" and toe in can have such a dramatic effect.

Mounted over the fireplace... you're managing to hit on everything we recommend against, lol.
Just switched the orientation to vertical, no difference. Then switched it to the left channel output, no difference, then switched the phase, no difference. Has to be the speaker.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just switched the orientation to vertical, no difference. Then switched it to the left channel output, no difference, then switched the phase, no difference. Has to be the speaker.
Different heights still? Did you swap speakers (trade places with the center and left or right. Does the center speaker still sound off when it's to the left or right?) and it followed the speaker? Also, standing is not where you should be when listening critically. You should be sitting at your MLP.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Different heights still? Did you swap speakers (trade places with the center and left or right. Does the center speaker still sound off when it's to the left or right?) and it followed the speaker? Also, standing is not where you should be when listening critically. You should be sitting at your MLP.
Same height right next to the left channel. Followed the speaker.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I switched the outputs on the receiver (plugged center into left) and it didn't change, so that rules out the receiver. Then I stood the center up next to the left and it still sounded much different. I am standing directly in front of the speakers to rule out room acoustics.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I switched the outputs on the receiver (plugged center into left) and it didn't change, so that rules out the receiver. Then I stood the center up next to the left and it still sounded much different. I am standing directly in front of the speakers to rule out room acoustics.
You should be seated. When your standing you're not in the "sweet spot". If it sounds good standing then it likely won't sound as good sitting and vice versa.

Also, try physically swapping the speakers instead of switching the outputs and see if it follows that speaker.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You should be seated. When your standing you're not in the "sweet spot". If it sounds good standing then it likely won't sound as good sitting and vice versa.

Also, try physically swapping the speakers instead of switching the outputs and see if it follows that speaker.
I think he is standing in front of the speaker listening for the differences, not trying to tune or evaluate the quality of the sound so much as whether it is the same. For that case, I think what he is doing is okay unless I am missing something!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Look closely at the drivers to make sure they have not been swapped with an off-brand driver (assuming these were used when you bought them). If it were me, I would open them up and check part numbers and inspect to verify that the crossovers were the same. It is quicker and easier to do this yourself then send it back to DefTech, and I like to know what is going on before I contact the manufacturer.
However, if you are not very handy and uncomfortable with the prospect, it sounds like you are ready to contact DefTech. They are certain to know the serial numbers of the ones you had repaired so you will know if it is a unit they worked on that does not match the other two or if it was the one that you did not send in for repair that is defective (more likely thee case).

I assume you have played the two that sound "the same" side by side so you can rule out what variations you can attribute to not being in the same position in the room.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think he is standing in front of the speaker listening for the differences, not trying to tune or evaluate the quality of the sound so much as whether it is the same. For that case, I think what he is doing is okay unless I am missing something!
Well, if the l/r tweeters are at or below ear height when standing and the center is the same speaker, turned on its side and above ear height I don't think they're going to sound the same. I don't know if that's what he has going, but I'll bet I'm not far off. He did say his center is above a fireplace iirc. It might be a positioning issue. A couple of his speakers were refurbed by DefTech too tho, so definitely not out of the question that there may be something wrong with one of them still.

I think he should switch the speakers (if he hasn't already) and see if it follows that speaker. He has the same three (DefTech Mythos) across the front.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, if the l/r tweeters are at or below ear height when standing and the center is the same speaker, turned on its side and above ear height I don't think they're going to sound the same. I don't know if that's what he has going, but I'll bet I'm not far off. He did say his center is above a fireplace iirc. It might be a positioning issue. A couple of his speakers were refurbed by DefTech too tho, so definitely not out of the question that there may be something wrong with one of them still.

I think he should switch the speakers (if he hasn't already) and see if it follows that speaker. He has the same three (DefTech Mythos) across the front.
Ahh!
I had assumed he re-positioned the speakers so they were closer and at a more similar height - which you should do for the sake of your evaluation, Rick!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ahh!
I had assumed he re-positioned the speakers so they were closer and at a more similar height - which you should do for the sake of your evaluation, Rick!
Yes, I went the long way around to describe it, but yes. I'm pretty sure he has them all mounted on the wall still.

Kurt is right tho. If you really want to be sure you should take them down and put them in the same orientation right beside each other. Might be a bit of a pain, but so is calling DefTech, setting up another repair then deal with packing and shipping them. Worth it, imo.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis