R

ruadmaa

Banned
With all the hype lately about CD/DVD deterioration has anyone had a problem with disk deterioration??? I am asking about disks that used to play well but don't work any longer. (Not due to abuse). When CD's came out they were touted to last 100 years. All my oldest disks seem to be as good as new and many of them were purchased when CD's first came out.

I know the original laser disks (the 12 inch variety) were put together with defective glue and had some serious problems. This is the first I have heard of CD/DVD deterioration problems.

H

hiker54

Audioholic Intern
My CD collection (1200 and growing) began in the early 80's. I have never had a CD develop problems. I am very particular about how my CD's are used. Never in the car, always returned to their case, not exposed to direct sunlight, etc.

Last week I saw an artical on ABCnews.com about a collector who was experiencing major problems with CD's that previously were OK. The article didn't go into how this collector treated his CD's. The thinking was that perhaps flexing the discs to remove them from their case or general rough handling was fracturing the thin protective label side coating thus allowing oxygen to react with the aluminum substrate. I have some cases which really hold the CD tight, but I am carefull not to excessively flex the discs.

Regards,

Hiker54

M

MrKlister

Junior Audioholic
I have only noticed it on one disc, The Grateful Dead's In the Dark. It wasn't caused by abuse, I just noticed it developed problems playing about 6 months ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis