Large Hadron Collider activates this Sept 10, 2008

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
can somebody explain this in layman's terms? halon?

By the way, that's "Hadron", not hard-on... just in case some of you are afraid that a giant erection is going to kill you.

Will the world end on Wednesday?
Jon Henley
The Guardian,
Monday September 8 2008
Article history

Be a bit of a pain if it did, wouldn't it? And the most frustrating thing is that we won't know for sure either way until the European laboratory for particle physics (Cern) in Geneva switches on its Large Hadron Collider the day after tomorrow.

If you think it's unlikely that we will all be sucked into a giant black hole that will swallow the world, as German chemistry professor Otto Rössler of the University of Tübingen posits, and so carry on with your life as normal, only to find out that it's true, you'll be a bit miffed, won't you?

If, on the other hand, you disagree with theoretical physicist Prof Sir Chris Llewellyn Smith of the UK Atomic Energy Agency, who argues that fears of possible global self-ingestion have been exaggerated, and decide to live the next two days as if they were your last, and then nothing whatsoever happens, you'd feel a bit of a fool too.

Rössler apparently thinks it "quite plausible" that the "mini black holes" the Cern atom-smasher creates "will survive and grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside". So convinced is he that he has lodged an EU court lawsuit alleging that the project violates the right to life guaranteed under the European Convention of Human Rights.

Prof Llewellyn Smith, however, has assured Radio 4's Today programme that the LHC - designed to help solve fundamental questions about the structure of matter and, hopefully, arrive at a "theory of everything" - is completely safe and will not be doing anything that has not happened "100,000 times over" in nature since the earth has existed. "The chances of us producing a black hole are minuscule," he said, "and even if we do, it can't swallow up the earth." So, folks, who do you believe?
Next Stop: The Fourth Dimension, With Large Hadron Collider Experiments
ScienceDaily (Sep. 8, 2008) — How did the universe come to be? What is it made of? What is mass? Can science prove that there are other dimensions?

We may have answers soon. On September 10, 2008, Tel Aviv University's Prof. Erez Etzion from the School of Physics and Astronomy will be in the control room of the new CERN Large Hadron Collider (LHC) on the border of France and Switzerland when the LHC is first turned on. Scientists are calling it the largest experiment in the world. It's taken about 6,000 researchers, $8 billion and ten years to build.

Of the 50 countries that have participated in the project, Israel is among those which have made the greatest contributions. Tel Aviv University in particular has played an essential role in constructing equipment for the collider tunnel, dug deep inside the Swiss-French Alps. And when the switch is thrown in September, science may be changed forever.

Prof. Etzion, an experimental physicist in high-energy research, expects the impact of the LHC to be greater than that of the first moon landing. "It is hard to grasp the dimensions of the practical benefits from this project," he says, "but we're expecting to explore the basic forces that hold the world together."

Getting to the Heart of the Matter

If all goes according to plan, the superconducting magnets in the collider will zap atomic particles around the 17-mile tunnel at roughly the speed of light. Then the scientists will smash the particles together, replicating what happened mere nanoseconds after the first big bang.

Prof. Etzion participated in the design and construction of the trigger chambers for ATLAS, one of the two main detectors in the collider. This critical piece of machinery will decide what online data to record -- and what data to discard -- from the 1 billion atomic collisions per second. There is no storage disk space in the universe big enough to hold all the data, says Prof. Etzion, making this detector a key component in the success of the LHC.

May The "Z*" Be With You

Prof. Etzion will be watching closely to see what happens to proton beams colliding at super speeds. While invisible particles are expected to leave a trace like a watermark after they collide, he believes that some particles will escape detection, possibly travelling to other dimensions.

This is an exotic theory, Prof. Etzion admits, but one which may explain why the force of gravity appears to be so weak. "It could be that while all the matter we know is trapped in three space dimensions, a gravity carrier can move into additional dimensions, resulting in a diluted gravitational force", he says, noting he and his colleagues will be looking for particles delivered by a force carrier called the "Z*" or "zee star." The physicists hypothesize that the Z* may be able to move between our own three-dimensional world and other hidden dimensions.

The notion of new dimensions is stranger than science fiction, though the possibility of their existence is quite real. Prof. Etzion believes that other dimensions may exist in parallel to ours, but that -- until now -- they were too small for us to experimentally detect. "For the first time we will reach a new energy scale in our lab, the Tera electron volt regime, and we expect to discover new phenomena there," he says. "At such high energies, we may be able to stimulate particles to jump through dimensions and can measure this by the disappearance of mass or energy, or the appearance of new excited state towers of particles."

Hanging by a Vibrating String

Prof. Etzion's research falls within a branch of theoretical physics known as string theory. The theory posits that all matter is made up of vibrating strings of energy, suggesting six or more dimensions we cannot see affect everything we do and see. It is an appealing model to physicists, since it offers mathematical solutions to the major unanswered questions in particle physics.

This September, physicists around the world will be on the edges of their seats to see what happens when the first beam is circulated through the collider. The first high-energy collisions are expected to take place in October 2008.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
can somebody explain this in layman's terms? halon?

By the way, that's "Hadron", not hard-on... just in case some of you are afraid that a giant erection is going to kill you.
Take a look at these pictures!

First its all about finding the Higgs Boson.

Particle physics is another realm that requires mathematical skills beyond my pay grade.

But as I get the drift of it, the intent is to find the nature of matter and mass, and why a particle like a photon has no mass and others do and why the force of gravity is so weak.

All of this is going to be very important to finding and using new forms of energy, and storing it.

Fossil fuel was low hanging fruit and its running out. Windmills won't cut it, I promise you.

Already nano particles are being used to create bigger and better batteries. Also nano holes are being considered to safely store large amount of hydrogen.

These types of experiments are likely to spawn technologies we can't even fathom, or imagine yet.

It is important. Consider the fact that no one has even the glimmer of an idea of how to power flight without fossil fuel.

The end of fossil fuel is in sight. Moving away from it will require technologies many thousands of times more complex than we have now.
We need at least 50% of high school graduates going into science based and engineering disciplines, if we don't want to go back to the horse and cart.

There is an army of particle physicists coming to an auto dealer near you!

And by the way don't get your wires crossed!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not joking...this might help you out. There are some good nuggets in that whole thread (along with a bunch of junk, too :)).

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I am still waiting for the "Mr. Fusion" device from Back to the Future II.:)

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Ayeee....I sure hope those are monster cables, otherwise I fear for the future of earth. :D

majorloser

majorloser

Is this a picture of the voice coil for Mike's new subwoofer he's having made?

J

jamie2112

Banned
Shouldn't this be under:WE ARE GONNA DIE tread.....:eek:

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I personally find particle accelerators and quantum physics and all of that mess quite fascinating...

...I dont understand it...

...But its still fascinating. :D

itschris

itschris

I personally find particle accelerators and quantum physics and all of that mess quite fascinating...

...I dont understand it...

...But its still fascinating. :D

Agreed.. I sorda understand conceptually, but I don't really get it in a nuts and bolts kinda way.

I thought they pretty much designed the "Grid" just to handle the data flow from these experiments. I read somewhere that if you transmitted all the data it would literally drag the entire world wide internet to a complete halt... or something crazy like that.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I read somewhere that if you transmitted all the data it would literally drag the entire world wide internet to a complete halt... or something crazy like that.
Perhaps that is what all this talk about the end of the world is all about. Can you imagine the chaos that would result if the flow of pron were to suddenly stop? World wide armageddon.

Not to mention that we couldn't get our AH fix...

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I read that there is some concern by the anti- accelerator groups that mini black holes could form and devour the earth...:eek: Don't know if this is really plausible, but it's very interesting and hopefully wrong.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
On the other hand, imagine the sweet release...

No more work. Plus, no more "is my sub good enough," or "do I need another amp," or whatever...the addiction would finally meet its match in the unparalleled gravitational pull of a singularity. See you on the other side, my friends.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
instead of the black hole thing ...

here are fun options:
1) event horizon / the Mist (thomas jane)
2) teleportation will now be possible
3) hadronic power?
4) and yes, a massive new magnet for an earth sized subwoofer (thanks major)

G

Grimfate126

Junior Audioholic
i cant wait :D

it would be cool either way (black hole or no). One way, i get out of school, and hopefully go to heaven. The other, well, no more sitting in shitty economy class.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I read that there is some concern by the anti- accelerator groups that mini black holes could form and devour the earth...:eek: Don't know if this is really plausible, but it's very interesting and hopefully wrong.
Those folks had similar protests and lawsuits against other colliders, like the one near Chicago, I believe, that I read about in the last few days, or even today:D
Well, the end does have to come, everything dies sooner or later:D

S

spacedteddybear

Audioholic Intern
Those folks had similar protests and lawsuits against other colliders, like the one near Chicago, I believe, that I read about in the last few days, or even today:D
Well, the end does have to come, everything dies sooner or later:D
I think the same thing was done when the A-bomb's knowledge was released to the general public. A mean, puh-leeeze, it'll take a thousands of atomic bombs to destroy the world, not just one. :D

itschris

itschris

NEW! Super Collider Interconnects

These interconnects were manufactured sort of close to the Haldron Supercollider. We've painstakenly collected the miniature black holes that escaped the test site facility and incorporated them into our speaker wire. The result is your signal is carried in a pure vacuum of space contained in wire casing designed specifically to withstand the gravitational forces of the black holes contained within it. This patent pending process is almost guaranteed to make your system sound even better than it did before and provide you with the realism audiophiles like yourself demand.

(Haldron Speaker Wire Elevators made from pure titanium with black hole stablization ions designed to raise your wires an optimum 2.087 inches off the floor sold seperately. )

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis