Krell processor & amp

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
hello. I'm extremely new to this not even sure if this is the proper place to post this.

I am in a bit of a predicament. End of December my grand father passed away :/ and he kinda left my grandmother and mom with some bills. My grandmother had bought him these krell items for a anniversary and wanted to see what they were worth and if I could sell the for her. They are in perfect working order. I don't know if I'm getting these right It's a

Krell preamp Hts 7.1
And
krell showcase 5 amplifier

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry to hear about that. Death in the family can be difficult.

Krell is a highly valued name among some audio collectors. A good place to go about selling those items is called Audiogon https://www.audiogon.com. It's a widely used website for buying & selling used audio gear at good prices.

You'll have to register there and probably pay a small fee to offer something for sale. They also have a way to look up prices for the items you want to sell, https://bluebook.audiogon.com/. Again, there is a charge for that service.

I looked and found examples that may be similar to what you want to sell:

Krell Showcase 5 Amp for $1,300.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-krell-showcase-5-2015-12-23-amplifiers-43537-maumee-oh

Krell HTS 7.1 Processor for $1,000.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/processors-krell-hts-7-1-processor-in-silver-2015-12-05-home-theater-81301-durango-co

I hope this helps, and good luck selling them.

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
Thank you so much for the detailed help and quick response. So do you think maybe 2100 plus shipping for both would a decent price

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you so much for the detailed help and quick response. So do you think maybe 2100 plus shipping for both would a decent price
Most buyers at Audiogon expect to "negotiate" a bit on a selling price. I'd build in extra room in your asking price so you can lower your price by about 25% later. So if you'd accept $2100 for both, I might initially ask $2800. You can always lower your price if it doesn't sell at first.

Those are only my quick & off-the-cuff ideas. I've bought two items through Audiogon in the past, but have never sold anything there. Maybe you might learn something useful by paying to see those Blue Book prices https://bluebook.audiogon.com/. However, I don't know what that service costs.

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
Service cost is a little pricey. It was 99.99 to sell plus a service fee of 50$ for the price range I'm selling at. Is there a for sale section here? Dare I try eBay?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Service cost is a little pricey. It was 99.99 to sell plus a service fee of 50$ for the price range I'm selling at. Is there a for sale section here? Dare I try eBay?
Ouch, that's more than I thought. But every seller on Audiogon must build that cost into their initial asking prices.

As a buyer, I'd certainly trust Audiogon much more than eBay. eBay can be a crap shoot for the buyer, but as the seller, you'd have more control. It might work OK for you, but I really don't have any experience selling something in that price range on eBay.

To see the For Sale items on Audiogon, click on Browse pull-down menu. It's in the blue banner across the top of the web page https://www.audiogon.com/.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The eBay policies do more to protect buyers than sellers, that is a certainty.

I would also not recommend trying to sell both pieces together as most prospective buyers would likely only be interested in one or the other.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sell them separately. The Krell Show case 5 amp should sell well. It is a powerful 5 channel amp. A new amp of equivalent spec from Internet direct Emotiva costs $799.00 So around 50% more for a Krell, even though it is over 10 years old is not a stretch. I would try and get $1500 for that unit and try and hold out for at least $1200.

The Krell HTS 7.1 is going to be a much more difficult proposition and may well not sell at all.

This is an old analog unit with no digital inputs or outputs. That means it has no HDMI connectivity. This now matters, as we are well past the analog sunset. For reasons if Digital rights management surround AV devices are not allowed to have multi channel outputs. That means that unit can not drive a modern TV or receive a surround signal from a modern BD player. It is only of any use with older equipment.

Further it does not decode the modern codecs, especially the loss less ones. I really doubt that unit will make much money, but you never know. I personally would not even accept it as a gift, and regard it as electronic clutter.

The five channel power amp on the other hand I would be proud to own.

One other thing that may make even the power amp be a difficult sell is the problems at Krell.

Krell was founded by the D'Agostino family. Dan D'Agostino was the chief designer.

In 2007 Krell got into serious financial difficulty and had to be bailed out by a private investment company. This company forced out the D'Agostino family.

The D'Agostino family are now back in business as D'Agostino Master Audio, and Dan as chief designer.

Three months ago long time Krell CEO Bill McKiegan resigned from Krell and went to work as CEO for D'Agostino Master Audio!

Rumors now abound in the industry that Krell is about to go Chapter 11.

This is more likely than not given the turn of events. The usual outcome of these situations is that the name is bought and turned into a junk brand.

The point of this, is that in high end audio people are more likely than not going to do their home work. So potential buyers doing due diligence, would have legitimate concerns about service and parts availability of Krell equipment.

I would act quickly to off load this equipment before a chapter 11 filing, which in my view is quite likely imminent.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sell them separately. The Krell Show case 5 amp should sell well. It is a powerful 5 channel amp… I would try and get $1500 for that unit and try and hold out for at least $1200.

The Krell HTS 7.1 is going to be a much more difficult proposition and may well not sell at all.

This is an old analog unit with no digital inputs or outputs. That means it has no HDMI connectivity… It is only of any use with older equipment… Further it does not decode the modern codecs, especially the loss less ones.

… but you never know…
Although I agree with TLS Guy on all his points, when selling older gear on the internet, you never know. It only takes one buyer who is dazzled by the Krell name and reputation. It's reputation might outlive the recent problems encountered by the present Krell management. It's even possible to argue that among some audiophiles, the older Krell gear made before there were financial problems, might be more highly valued today.

Those buyers who are interested only in the most modern digital features are also probably not influenced by the Krell name. There certainly are those buyers out there who might have older gear and might value the Krell name over having the most modern digital gear. And it only takes one.

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
I agree with all these points I've sold numerous things on eBay. Right now we are just in a state of mourning and despair to get some of these bigger bills down. I'm literally feeling like unloading both of these for like 1800 shipped and hoping someone on here bites

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There is a Classified section here on Audioholics. Scroll down on the Forum list to see it. More people might see it there than on this thread.

Post photos of the gear if you have them, their weight, and mention the town and state where you are located to estimate shipping.

Note the requirements:
Come here to sell your gear to other audio enthusiasts. It's fast, it's easy, and best of all, it's FREE. Please be sure to read and agree to the Forum Rules before posting your gear. NOTE: You MUST have 25 or more posts in order to start a post in this thread. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!​

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
TLS Guy said:
We'll explore that.

This is an old analog unit with no digital inputs or outputs.
Incorrect. While it does not have HDMI it does have optical and coaxial digital inputs and decodes up to DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX.

That means it has no HDMI connectivity. This now matters, as we are well past the analog sunset. For reasons if Digital rights management surround AV devices are not allowed to have multi channel outputs. That means that unit can not drive a modern TV or receive a surround signal from a modern BD player. It is only of any use with older equipment.
Many modern sources still offer optical and coaxial digital connections. This preamp/processor is not as irrelevant as you might think.

Further it does not decode the modern codecs, especially the loss less ones. I really doubt that unit will make much money, but you never know. I personally would not even accept it as a gift, and regard it as electronic clutter.
One sold on ebay for $999 buy it now and another went for just under $300 at auction. While that's quite a range I believe OP can get at least $600 if it is in good shape and includes the remote.

I don't disagree with you about the amplifier at all. It's a solid amplifier and they still bring decent money.

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
I wish I could already post in the classifieds lol. I'm seriously considering letting both go at a great price. eBay is a pain in the butt.

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
Well damn just sold the Hts 7.1 for 1100 :cool: now to ship it and ask the amp

B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
Really? Where did you sell it? That was quite fortunate for you. Should be no trouble selling the amp.
Sold it in eBay. Had s low starting bid win a reserve and the person messaged me what I'd sell it today for

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sold it in eBay. Had s low starting bid win a reserve and the person messaged me what I'd sell it today for
Well done. You did well.

That suggests the amp should go for quite a bit more.

Put it up for a five day auction with a reserve of $1200. It is possible that amp could fetch some serious money. It has to be worth significantly more than that pre/pro.

It occurs to me there must be other items from that system to sell, like speakers, CD player and turntable for instance. What else was part of that system?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Well damn just sold the Hts 7.1 for 1100 :cool: now to ship it and ask the amp
You got $1100.00 for it, that's not bad since you had it listed at $1000.00 I don't think you got $1100.00 somebody is P.S. somebody here. If you got $650.00 for that Pre-Pro you did good. I do own Krell myself.

Last edited:
B

BlacklistRogue

Enthusiast
So Update! Sold both items. Thank you all so much for the help. I have a further question. Can someone identify these for me. I'm helping my grandma again who said she still has these. She can't find a model on them. I'm sure they to heavy for her to move and look. I'm trying to look up a model and estimated price.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis