highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Has any of you dislocated a kneecap? How long did it take to be able to walk with out an immobilizer, did you need surgery and how long until you were back to 'normal'?

When people ask what happened, I have been telling them "Bar fight", "MMA tournament" and "I proved that I don't actually have cat-like reflexes".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That sucks, my knee issues may keep me off the bike now and then, but nothing horrible (yet). I think some shifting of the knee cap is involved in one knee's issues particularly, but dislocation sounds painful. Hope you figure it out soon as to surgery/recovery! Got a good doc?

highfigh

highfigh

That sucks, my knee issues may keep me off the bike now and then, but nothing horrible (yet). I think some shifting of the knee cap is involved in one knee's issues particularly, but dislocation sounds painful. Hope you figure it out soon as to surgery/recovery! Got a good doc?
Joe Panos (Wisconsin Badgers and Philadelphia Eagles) has described his dislocated kneecap experience as "excruciatingly painful", but I wouldn't say mine met that. Oh, it hurt, but I wasn't screaming in agony or anything. I tried to straighten my leg and couldn't- that's when I saw that my kneecap had wandered off to a distant place it shouldn't go to. I'm also surprised by the fast improvement. So far, since June 1, I have taken 5 generic Naproxen Sodium and 2 Aspirin.

I think I can safely rule out Osteoporosis- if I had that, I'm pretty sure I would have broken several bones since the floor is concrete.

Good doc? We'll see. They tested for damage and it's isolated to the quad muscles/tendons- none of the lateral ligaments or the rear of the knee are involved and I can now lift the lower part of my leg without excessive pain when I'm sitting. I consider myself extremely lucky.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I would rather have a hip issue than I knee issue any day. Darn knees.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
How long did it take to be able to walk with out an immobilizer, did you need surgery and how long until you were back to 'normal'?
Like my knee guy told me; that other guy, that's an other knee. No two people have the same knees and even you don't have the same knees. If you get them both worked on you'll find them to present different challenges in rehab.

Man, best of luck and a speedy recovery.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I broke my femur in a car accident and it also damaged my knee on that leg. The force of the impact was transmitted directly into my leg because my foot was fully applying the brake. They installed a titanium rod in my leg and the bone was OK in about a month, but the knee and hip took 3 months of PT and about a year to get back to normal. Most activities I can still do, but I doubt I will ever play soccer again.

highfigh

highfigh

Like my knee guy told me; that other guy, that's an other knee. No two people have the same knees and even you don't have the same knees. If you get them both worked on you'll find them to present different challenges in rehab.

Man, best of luck and a speedy recovery.
Fortunately, I only messed up one knee but the other is getting a good workout when I go up and down stairs because I can't use the left one yet. It's definitely improving, though. I'll need to do therapy to get it to be flexible again, but since I know someone with a fitness facility, I can use the stationary cycles whenever I want because I have keys (I did the audio, network and surveillance cameras/DVR). My patellar tendon is becoming tighter, which is good because I couldn't even feel it when I would try to raise my leg, last week- much less pain when I do that. Hopefully, I won't need surgery but I won't know until I go to the Ortho for the next checkup. This could have been a lot worse because I'm a bit of a Clydesdale.

highfigh

highfigh

I broke my femur in a car accident and it also damaged my knee on that leg. The force of the impact was transmitted directly into my leg because my foot was fully applying the brake. They installed a titanium rod in my leg and the bone was OK in about a month, but the knee and hip took 3 months of PT and about a year to get back to normal. Most activities I can still do, but I doubt I will ever play soccer again.
I don't even like to think about injuries like yours.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Fortunately, I only messed up one knee but the other is getting a good workout when I go up and down stairs because I can't use the left one yet. It's definitely improving, though. I'll need to do therapy to get it to be flexible again, but since I know someone with a fitness facility, I can use the stationary cycles whenever I want because I have keys (I did the audio, network and surveillance cameras/DVR). My patellar tendon is becoming tighter, which is good because I couldn't even feel it when I would try to raise my leg, last week- much less pain when I do that. Hopefully, I won't need surgery but I won't know until I go to the Ortho for the next checkup. This could have been a lot worse because I'm a bit of a Clydesdale.
The Clydesdale remark was your risk factor for the injury. Most likely, given time it will heal. Surgery will only be required if the injury becomes recurrent, which unfortunately is not uncommon. I would strongly advise against surgery for the first episode.

highfigh

highfigh

The Clydesdale remark was your risk factor for the injury. Most likely, given time it will heal. Surgery will only be required if the injury becomes recurrent, which unfortunately is not uncommon. I would strongly advise against surgery for the first episode.
I had been using a folding platform to do some of the work and it's about the same height as the second rung of the ladder but the difference between jumping off of that (which I had done several times, without problems) and stepping off of the ladder is that I was ready for landing from the platform. I'm very surprised that I didn't damage the collateral ligaments and have had no pain anywhere other than the front. The top edge of the patella can hurt a bit and two spots to the sides where, I assume, partial tears occured. When I elevated my foot yesterday, I was able to raise it without using my hands to assist, so that's a big improvement. No pain and it didn't drop- last week, that wouldn't have happened.

I watched YouTube videos about this kind of injury and was surprised to see how common it is.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
My mother has had both of her knees operated on. I've been fortunate. A little pain occasionally when turning, but even that hasn't happened in a long time.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I broke my leg on the 15th of January and sprained my knee with a 2nd level MCL ligament sprained in my knee. I am still having issues walking now as the stress and adaptations have impacted both knees in my case. Walking with ligament injury in the knee even though initial healing has taken place can take a long time for everything to tighten back up and restore the balance you need to walk. I have also osteoarthritis in my lower back and am significantly overweight as well. That together makes walking a problem for me.

highfigh

highfigh

I have always thought that the knee was a faulty design if all of the things we do to it are considered. It's OK for walking, but running and making quick turns, twisting (whether intentionally or accidentally), jumping & landing, etc are all bad for that particular joint. That said, it's amazing that it can handle the loads presented and survive or, if a minor injury occurs, heal to the point on its own where the person isn't restricted from most typical activities.

highfigh

highfigh

My mother has had both of her knees operated on. I've been fortunate. A little pain occasionally when turning, but even that hasn't happened in a long time.
I grew up with a guy who, along with his two brothers, was a great athlete and as a star running back in high school, tore up his knees so badly that he couldn't have played in college if he wanted- if his knees had been healthy, I'm sure he could have played for just about any major college team on a full ride scholarship. His first knee replacement was done when he was 43. I had an aunt who was tall and, having been born before 1910, her diet was less than complete WRT nutrition and in the business she had with my uncle, she spent a lot of time standing and walking, so her knees eventually needed replacement. I remember her being over 75 and her life improved greatly because of the surgery.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I grew up with a guy who, along with his two brothers, was a great athlete and as a star running back in high school, tore up his knees so badly that he couldn't have played in college if he wanted- if his knees had been healthy, I'm sure he could have played for just about any major college team on a full ride scholarship. His first knee replacement was done when he was 43. I had an aunt who was tall and, having been born before 1910, her diet was less than complete WRT nutrition and in the business she had with my uncle, she spent a lot of time standing and walking, so her knees eventually needed replacement. I remember her being over 75 and her life improved greatly because of the surgery.
I know several people who have had knee replacement surgery. In every case the results were good and the person was much better off than before the surgery. I don’t know what the overall statistics are for this surgery, but the consistently good results in the cases I know of are are quite amazing (at least to me).

highfigh

highfigh

I know several people who have had knee replacement surgery. In every case the results were good and the person was much better off than before the surgery. I don’t know what the overall statistics are for this surgery, but the consistently good results in the cases I know of are are quite amazing (at least to me).
One of my customers had her knee replaced 8 weeks ago and since she can't take most pain killers (high BP), she's pretty miserable. She is, however, walking without a walker or crutches, so....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis