Klipsh or Boston ??

S

sandeep

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Hi All,
&nbsp; &nbsp;I am a newbie to the speaker world so please be patient with some of my dumb Qs.
I just commited a speaker sin( of buying booze LS28 last friday), so I want to correct it by returning the product and buy something better. Most of the forums seem to caution readers to stay away from booze and I happen to read it a day later. Long story short, I want some info about some speakers that are available in local stores, like Magnolia HiFi or Good guys. They seem to carry Boston, M&amp;K( in Magnolia) and Klipsh(good guys).
Magnolia guy suggest that I go for Boston as M&amp;K is similar but a little more expensive due to the fact that they make compact speakers. He was suggesting the following configuration:
Boston Accoustics VR1 for main speakers, Definitive ProSub 100TL for woofer, Boston VR910 for center, Boston CR65 for surround speakers. Totaling $1550 for speakers. He is ready to give about $100 discount making it $1450 for this package.

Good Guys rep was suggesting the following config:
RF25 for main, RC25 for center, RS25 for surround and RW10 for woofer. Totaling $1950. But he is ready to take away $200 from this price making it $1750. Currently, Good guys has a sale for Yamaha RXV630 receiver for $250.

Here come a salvo of Qs:
1. Do any of the packages sound OK, price wise? I heard that these speakers generally sell below MSRP. So should I buy them at a any website. If so, can you suggest a site.
2.Which would be a better package, sound/speaker quality wise?
3. Would you rather sugggest a third alternative for the same kind of money. I have a budger of $2k including a decent receiver. But I am willing to go a little above if need be.

Any help would be appeciated.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>It's unlikely that anyone has heard the exact systems you're describing; there are a zillion speakers out there and about 10 zillion ways to combine them in a multichannel system!

All the names you mentioned (and many others besides) make good gear, but the thing is there's no substitute for doing some reading and then some serious listening to the various speakers to make your choice. Shopping by brand just doesn't work when making your speaker choice.

So -- read the speaker tech articles on this site for starters. Get the most recent Consumer Reports that deals with speakers. They do the only decent actual tests on gear that is priced for mere mortals.

And here's another site I like for basic info:
Multimedia Answers site He makes some good recommendations at various price levels.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>sandeep,

It was a good move to return B_O_S_E -- They are trash, plain and simple.

The two brands you mentioned are generally ok but choices are so many that it is hard (or impossible) to say which brand is the best.   From my personally experience as my first HT sytem had PSB+Yamaha receiver totaled under $1200, with ~2k budget, you should do very well with PSB speakers.  I've sold most my PSBs in the process of upgrading but still keep the Alpha Mini's as my rear surround.   Check out their website:  PSB Webpage  Are you in bay area as well?  If so there is a nice little PSB dealer in San Mateo called &quot;Mateo HiFi&quot; you may want to check out. They also carry Yamaha receivers.

If you don't mind to hassle of buying used, you will find FANTASTIC deals on Audiogon.

Contrary to &quot;Rip Van Woofer&quot;s suggestion, I will NOT use Consumer Report as a guide for speaker search.  They once ranked B_O_S_E as the best speaker!

Abe</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
abe : Contrary to &quot;Rip Van Woofer&quot;s suggestion, I will NOT use Consumer Report as a guide for speaker search.  They once ranked B_O_S_E as the best speaker!
Alas, 'tis true, they did. Well, I didn't say they were perfect!

The main point is, you can't strictly shop by brand. Even excellent companies can make a dog from time to time. Conversely, it's (theoretically) possible that booze could slip and make something decent. So there's no substitute for doing your homework. Unlike assigned reading from a prof, this homework can be fun!

Always follow up on written reviews with your own ears.

And remember, salespeople are usually more interested in their commission than your satisfaction.

BTW, I'm totally with Abe on his PSB recommendation. They might be one of the few companies that *never* makes a dog, at any price.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis