Klipsch vs Athena....

B

bert99

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi everyone, i new to this board and to home theater in general.
I'm about to buy a basic system with the following.:

Denon AVR-1803 or AVR-3802 (not decided yet)
with either
Klipsch SF-2 line
or
Athena ASF2 line.
A friend owns Klipsch and i was sold, but then i listened to the Athena and found them to be very good as well...

Is there really a clear winner between the 2
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
S

song

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have the ASF2 speakers, and compared them to the Klipsch RF3-II speakers. First of all, i prefered the ASF2 due to the front ported design over the rear ported RF3s. I have to place the speakers close to back walls and the rear ports sounded too boomy. Secondly, i found the ASF2 to be very clear sounding, tight bass, and has liked the &quot;smoother&quot; highs on it than the &quot;brighter&quot; highs off the RF3s. The ASF2 had a more &quot;natural&quot; sound to me, which i preferred. I returned the RF3 and bought the Athenas for $729 Canadian compared to the $999 CAD on the RF3, and very happy with my choice. BTW, i bought them two months ago. If you're in Canada, Futureshop has the ASF2 on sale for $529 CAD right now!

The ASF2 is very well built and heavy at 51 pounds. Great clear natural sound, and can't beat it for the price. I also listened to comparable Polks.</font>

L

LongBinh6

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>bert 99,

Just for your info, the 3802 is also sold under the AVR-1082. They are the same identical unit. &nbsp;This may help you if you shop online for prices. &nbsp;I've seen the 1082 for about $650 US.

As for the speakers, the Klipsch RF-3II and the SF-2 are different speakers. &nbsp;The RF-3II are more expensive. &nbsp;From looking at the audio bible several differences seem to be that the Athena AS-F2 weigh about 51lbs and the Klipsch SF-2 about 39lbs. &nbsp;The Athena has a sensitivity rating of 93 dB and the Klipsch 96dB. &nbsp;Thus the Klipsch require half the power output (as the Athena's) from your amp for the same sound level. &nbsp;This would only be important if you really play your sound very loud! &nbsp;I haven't listened to these exact models but I do own a Klipsch theater system. &nbsp;From general impressions you might find the Klipsch to be more dynamic and the Athena's perhaps more accurate. &nbsp;The July/August Sound and Vision Magazine had a very complimentary review on a different Athena system, The Athena Point 5.

LB6 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LongBinh6

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Just in case you come back to this forum:

FYI: &nbsp;

See a review of the Athena AS-F2 speakers online at www.stereophile.com (stereophile Magazine). &nbsp;Search their archives section and then budget components for a very favorable reiveiw on these speakers.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis