Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SinCityDave

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Any plans to review Klipsch speakers? &nbsp;Say the Reference 7 series. &nbsp;Given your recent article and comments regarding Aragon's apparent deterioration after having joined the Klipsch family, I would be curious to see: &nbsp;(1) If Klipsch will accomodate your request; and (2) If the quality of their products overall has become suspect.

Just a thought.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have no idea about the quality of high-end Klipsch, but I have been very satisfied with my ProMedias. They're two years old now, and they're run fairly hard almost every day and they have no problems (except for a dead spot int he volume, but that was from a coke spill)

The newer stuff, however, I've heard alot of complaints about (hiss int he rear speakers, horrid wires, dead preamps)

I don't know how much that would affect the high end speakers though.

-Epic_Gamer</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have never owned any of the old &quot;classic&quot; Klipsch speakers, so I can't really make a comparison on any change in Klipsch's quality over time. &nbsp;But, I have owned the RF-7's for nearly 6 months now, and I am very pleased with them.

I know that the RF series, as well as the older models, are often criticized as being overly bright and forward. &nbsp;The showroom where I demo'd them didnt help much either, as they not only sounded bright, but they seemed to have a metallic ring to them even at only medium volumes. &nbsp;At the time, I wanted to move into tube equipment, and I had often heard of the virtues of tubes + horns. &nbsp;I auditioned a number of speakers and actually had a budget of almost 4 times what I eventually spent on the 7's. &nbsp;I listened to some of the top of the line (or nearly so) products from Mirage, Theil, Soliloquy and NHT and while many of them sounded very nice, I prefered the Klipsch as sounding the most natural.

Running decent tube amplification with the 7's can tame the brightness, and is also helps to use them in a fairly soft, large listening room. &nbsp;These speakers also lose a bit of the high end harshness after a long break in period.

Just my two cents.

Van Alstine - Transcendence 7 EC
Cary V12i
Jolida 302b
Klipsch RF7
Rotel 991
VooDoo Reference IC's
Wasatch U103 IC's
Wasatch Cable
Cat 5 DIY Belden Cable</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>SinCityDave;

It is doubtful if we request product from Klipsch to review through their current Public Relations Manager (Joshua Ryan Hall) that they will accommodate us. &nbsp;It took them over 1 year to NOT deliver us a Stage One even when we were paying customers and loyal fans of pre-klipsch Arag0n. &nbsp;That whole experience has really left me unsettled. &nbsp;

Since I never reviewed a prior Klipsch speaker, I cannot comment on their quality, or lack there of, from their current or past products.

Perhaps one day the opportunity to objectively review their products will present itself. &nbsp;However, for the time being, we are quite content with the flood of product and excellent support we have recently been receiving from other manufacturers. &nbsp;Stay tuned for a slew of new reviews!</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Gene,

I have been to Best Buy with my friend, who is eventually gonna buy a home theater system, or at least start one for now. &nbsp;He and I set out to listen to four different speaker companies; Klipsch, Athena, Polk, and Wharfedale. &nbsp;To make a long story short, the Klipsch speakers were so flat they actually sounded mute, and the didn't even come close to a &quot;C&quot; in the knock on the top and sides test, to hear how well built they are. &nbsp;I've heard my dad's Polk RT1000i's and they are solid, but the Klipsch SP-1 or 2s sounded almost hollow.

BTW: My friend has chosen the Athena AS-F2s ( I agree w/ this choice)

:0~

Bob</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I did a side-by-side audition between the Paradigm Studio 100s and the Klipsch RF-7s and the RF-7s out classed them, out rocked them and out detailed them for what it's worth.

The old knock on the top and back thing is pretty silly. The old Klipsch KHorns weigh in at 130+ or something, a good 40lbs heavier than the RF-7s and I like the sound of the RF-7s better. They are far more refined and don't require a tube amp to sound good. The old heritage line is incredible with tube amps, no doubt about it. But the Reference line is by far the best speaker in its price range. You would have to spend 3 or 4 times the money to get a speaker like Klipsch.

Klipsch speakers need to be driven by the right receivers though. A lot of places try to match them with Yamaha and it sounds like crap. You need to drive them with a warmer amp like a Harman Kardon or Denon. I run my RF-7s with a little HK 325 (65 watts in stereo) and they will almost make your ears burst. I can't imagine what these speakers would sound like with a 200-watt amp pushing them. With 103-db sensitivity you won't find a more efficient speaker out there for the money. If you want crystal clear sound with good bass, look into the reference series.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : I did a side-by-side audition between the Paradigm Studio 100s and the Klipsch RF-7s and the RF-7s out classed them, out rocked them and out detailed them for what it's worth.
There is no comparison between them. I have Paradigm Monitor 9 and Klipsch KSF 10.5 towers side by side, and also centres. The Klipsch are better in just about every catagory. They are bright though! But you can dim them with your pre amp ect.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>All;

Speakers are a very personal thing.  While there are definable metrics (IE. Frequency Response, Transient Response, etc) &nbsp; that can correlate the accuracy of a speaker, room interaction, associated equipment, and personal listening tastes may not always correlate with listening enjoyment.  I have recently heard the Klipsch RF series at a friends house (not long enough to write a detailed review) and considered them to be quite good for the money.  I don't believe this series is offered at Best Buy however.

As others pointed out, be careful with the associated equipment used as they can sound bright, especially in very active rooms.  However, this could be said about many speakers as well.  Just to let you know, the Klipsch RF speakers were mated with a $1000 Yamaha receiver (can't remember the model#) and although the top end was a little more active than I personally like it, IMO, it still sounded good nonetheless. &nbsp;

I think the notion that Yamaha receivers are bright and Denon/Harman Kardon, etc are warm is too stereotypical.  I spent several months with the Yamaha RX-Z1 and never found it to be &quot;Bright&quot; when compared to other receivers I am currently reviewing. I believe sometimes people confuse &quot;Bright&quot; with detail.  There are often times when people perceive mediocre equipment as &quot;warm&quot; mostly because the equipment has a higher noise floor, or the output impedance of the amp is higher than ideal given the combined speaker/cable load causing premature roll off of the high frequencies.  If an amplifier is designed well, it should invoke minimal sound character or change to the original signal.</font>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis