Klipsch RP-8000F Noise Issue

D

davidhill1963

Audiophyte
I recently purchased new front speakers. I got the piano black RP-8000F in December. It was several weeks before I was able to set them up. I have a Yamaha receiver and did the YPAO calibration and have been pleased with the sound. Yesterday I found an old calibration disc called Avia Guide to Home Theater. I went through the audio section on the disc and found a noise issue from the right speaker. I believe it is a noise issue. When I did the lower frequency test I can hear it when I am close to the speaker. I then played a few movies, and I can hear it during scenes with a lot of bass. I have the crossover set at 80Hz. If I am in my listening position, I can't hear it.

I spoke with Klipsch and they said they will send me a replacement woofer. I have searched for YouTube videos for replacing a woofer but couldn't find one, which I am sure is good. I did get a service guide for older model speakers that shows pictures on how to remove the silicone trim ring, but it looks different than what I see on the 8000F. Has anyone replaced a woofer on one of these speakers? Would it be worth even doing since I can't hear the noise when I am away from the speaker?

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you, David

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Yes, it's worth replacing, if it is indeed the source of the issue. A lot of times, you have to peel back the ring around the speaker and under-neath that will be the screw heads to decouple the woofer from the cabinet. If they sent you a new ring seal it's because they expect you to have to destroy the stock one to remove the woofer (this is common in the industry to mask the screws with a seal). It's super simple to replace. Just get the polarity correct and secure the new woofer and of course inspect the inside of the cabinet, make sure nothing is touching the woofer or in a position to rattle with air movement. Before replacing the seal around the woofer to cover the screws (if you bother to do this) just playback some tones or whatever to hear it to see if the problem resolved.

It could be all kinds of issues, but either way, it's not acceptable to just live with that noise while within warranty. So use it!

Very best,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis