Klipsch RF-82 "tweeter crackling"

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
The right channel RF-82 tweeter started crackling tonight, more like a cold solder joint, as if the connection is loose.

I'm going to take the speaker apart later and see what's going on but just in case the tweeter is crapped out does anybody know of a place to buy one. Nothing on eBay and I'll contact Klipsch tomorrow but I was hoping to find a good used part quickly.

I'd love to use this as an excuse to upgrade to RF-7's but the cost is prohibitive right now as I'm upgrading my subwoofers within the next week or so.

It's going to be interesting to see the inside of these beasts. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We have had posts bout these tweeters before. They are a miserable tweeter now, and crossed far too low for a tweeter of that type. They are no longer a compression driver, but got up to look like one.

You need to keep the volume down or you will get though those tweeters like hot cakes.

Klipsch were bought by Audiovox in 2011. Audiovox are junk purveyors. They buy famous brands and turn them fairly quickly into junk brands, like they did with AR and others.

The Klipsch we all knew is now rapidly disappearing in the rear view mirror.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I fear TLSGuy is right, but for your personal needs, I assume you have enjoyed those speakers for several years, so you probably don't challenge their limits too much. So, as long as your habits stay the same and you don't move to a larger room, you should get similar life out of the replacement.
Now, I wonder if the 7's still use a compression driver?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
They do. While TLS will likely prove correct in the long run, Klipsch is not quite dead yet. They make more speakers in the US than they have in years, and still employ some of the core engineering team that worked with PWK.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
We have had posts bout these tweeters before. They are a miserable tweeter now, and crossed far too low for a tweeter of that type. They are no longer a compression driver, but got up to look like one.

You need to keep the volume down or you will get though those tweeters like hot cakes.

Klipsch were bought by Audiovox in 2011. Audiovox are junk purveyors. They buy famous brands and turn them fairly quickly into junk brands, like they did with AR and others.

The Klipsch we all knew is now rapidly disappearing in the rear view mirror.
I don't crank them up too often, I actually found a loose connection to the tweeter and tightened it up. Are the RF-7 II's a product of Audiovox?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Actually, I just saw that those are for the ii series. However, either way, it looks like a call to speaker exchange and ~$40 will do the trick.
This appears to be for the original RF-82 (series 1):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-KLIPSCH-1000326-TWEETER-RF81-RF82-RB51-RB81-RB61-RS42-RS52-RS62/201341126406?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=33876&meid=454db0b055904127acc96e1639eb41e2&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=201428848236
I found that one last night as well, thanks, for now I think it's ok, and looking inside I have to say it looks better than I thought they would.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I fear TLSGuy is right, but for your personal needs, I assume you have enjoyed those speakers for several years, so you probably don't challenge their limits too much. So, as long as your habits stay the same and you don't move to a larger room, you should get similar life out of the replacement.
Now, I wonder if the 7's still use a compression driver?
I have had them since 2005 and got them for $600.00 for the pair, I couldn't turn them down. I also got the RC-64 from Crutchfield scratch and dent for $500.00 and the surrounds I got used off of eBay.

I have less than $1,500 in 6 Reference Series speakers and maybe $650 invested in both MFW's.

I am seriously considering a pair of RF-7 II's in the near future.

Thanks for your help Kurt and thanks for the info TLSGuy!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't crank them up too often, I actually found a loose connection to the tweeter and tightened it up. Are the RF-7 II's a product of Audiovox?
Yes, Audiovox owns all of Klipsch.
However, the questions becomes one of if and how the newer speakers have been diminished under Audiovox's ownership.
Audiovox may decide to keep the upper level RF-7ii's as a high performing speaker to maintain Klipsch's image of making quality products as they gradually decontent the lower levels.
On the other hand, the great deal you (and I) got on our Klipsch may not have ever been an option if AudioVox had not bought them.
It is disappointing to see a legacy like Klipsch compromised, and maybe Audiovox won't restrict their designers too aggressively!

Glad you got your issue figured out. Sounds like they are likely to continue to give you good service for years to come. Despite all of this, I believe Klipsch are one of teh faster moving speakers on Caigslist so if you go for the 7's you will not take a bad hit!

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Yes, Audiovox owns all of Klipsch.
However, the questions becomes one of if and how the newer speakers have been diminished under Audiovox's ownership.
Audiovox may decide to keep the upper level RF-7ii's as a high performing speaker to maintain Klipsch's image of making quality products as they gradually decontent the lower levels.
On the other hand, the great deal you (and I) got on our Klipsch may not have ever been an option if AudioVox had not bought them.
It is disappointing to see a legacy like Klipsch compromised, and maybe Audiovox won't restrict their designers too aggressively!

Glad you got your issue figured out. Sounds like they are likely to continue to give you good service for years to come. Despite all of this, I believe Klipsch are one of teh faster moving speakers on Caigslist so if you go for the 7's you will not take a bad hit!
If Audiovox bought them in 2011 they had no bearing on the deal I got in 2005. :)

The wife gave me the go ahead on the RF-7's, unfortunately this means they cost me double because while I can get the speakers, she also gets something of equal value....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis