J

jcharbo

Enthusiast
Hi, I'm an audio novice and I'm trying to put a decent 5.1 system in my 15' x 15' bedroom. It will be for 50% music and 50% movies. I'm leaning towards a Klipsch RB system. I can get the RB-51 II with a BIC Acoustech PL-200 sub and a Pioneer VSX-1123-K 7.2 receiver for $1,450 all the way up to the RB-81 II for $2,350. There is no where locally to listen to any medium/high end audio equipment.

My questions are:
At those prices is there another system I should strongly consider?
Given the room size, will I see a significant improvement in the general listening experience between the various RB models and price points? If so, which one is optimal for my room size?

thanks
Jeremey

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You have to keep in mind that Klipsch voices their speakers a bit hot in the treble. Also, with that budget, you should put a bit more money in the subwoofer. Without a way to demo these speakers, I would go for something more neutrally voiced than Klipsch. Here are some system ideas using speakers that are well regarded and proven performers.
KEF Q100 bookshelf speaker fronts and surrounds with Q200 center
KEF Q300 bookshelf fronts and Q600 center, use some Q100s as surrounds.
Add to that a Hsu VTF2 or Rythmik FV12r subwoofer.
Use a good Pioneer, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, or Denon receiver with the rest of your budget.

Alternatively consider these Madisound speaker kits which measure very well, the ZA 5.2 and 5.3 center. They take a little bit of assembly but they are likely to be very high bang for the buck in performance.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The HSU Research HB models will compete with Klipsch Reference and save you some money. Don't let the price fool you. Just read the reviews. There worth looking at.

HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker

Keep us posted. :)

J

jcharbo

Enthusiast
Wow, the hsu speakers look awesome. I was leaning towards what looked like a steal, a kef khf 5005.2 system brand new and shipped for $500, but now I'm leaning towards the hsu system. Which would you all choose of the two? If I do go with the hsu, in a room my size, getting the uls15 over a smaller sub going to help the sound quality as much as putting the money into something else?
Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Hsu is a good system. I have some of those speaker plus some Hsu subs myself. The Hsu speakers would be far better than those KEF satellite speakers. The Hsu sub will kill that KEF sub as well, but these systems can't really be compared as they were made for different purposes. As for the ULS-15 sub, it's a very good sub, but you might be happier with something like the VTF3 or VTF15h. The VTF15h can certainly get louder, if you like to crank the volume from time to time, but it's a pretty big sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis