Klipsch RB-81 II Bookshelf Speaker Preview

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The Klipsch RB-81 II is a rather large bookshelf speaker featuring a horn loaded 1" compression driver and an 8" cerametallic cone woofer in a front ported enclosure. Retailing for $850/pair, the RB-81 II has a rated frequency response of 44Hz-24kHz (+/- 3dB) and a sensitivity of 97dB with a 2.83V input at 1m. With a number of competitors to choose from at this price point, does the largest bookshelf in the Klipsch Reference line deserve a look (or a listen)? Read on to see what I think.

Executive Overview
The RB-81 II is a bit of an abnormal sight these days, being a basic two way bookshelf speaker sporting a big 8" woofer. Generally this type of layout presents a problem; crossing over the woofer at a higher frequency means beaming will be a problem and consequently it will create a big directivity mismatch when the tweeter takes over. Cross at a lower frequency and the tweeter runs into trouble at higher output levels. Fortunately, Klipsch's use of a horn loaded tweeter should help ameliorate the problems on both sides of the equation, as it will provide both pattern control and improve the efficiency (and reduce distortion for any given output level) of the tweeter.

Other than this one interesting tidbit, the overall design of the RB-81 II is relatively unremarkable. It is a standard box with a black ash vinyl veneer that isn't going to win any awards, though it isn't terribly offensive either. The front baffle is a single piece of molded plastic, including the horn and front firing slot port. Given my experience with Klipsch Reference speakers, I'd expect the RB-81 II to be reasonably well built, and the 27.5 pound weight is a good indicator in this regard as well.

Moving on to the numbers, things get a little more interesting. The RB-81 II has a rated sensitivity of 97dB and a low end extension of 44Hz, which taken together is likely to be an optimistic appraisal of the situation. Klipsch is known to rate both figures as "in room", meaning if you were to compare these specs with that of another manufacturer that rated their speakers under anechoic conditions, you'd need to knock off about 4dB of sensitivity and 10Hz of extension to get something approaching an apples to apples comparison.

It's unfortunate in my opinion that Klipsch feels a need to do this. Even assuming the RB-81 II's sensitivity is closer to 93dB w/ 2.83V @ 1m rather than 97dB, combined with an 8 ohm nominal rating, it should still be very easy to drive for a partnering amplifier. Extension in either case should be well suited for a typical 80Hz XO, and the 8" driver should be capable of delivering strong dynamic output in all but the largest of rooms. Overrated specifications aside, Klipsch seems to have the makings of a competent speaker, which really negates the need for overrated specs in the first place.

Summary
If you're in the market for a high output bookshelf speaker in the sub $1,000 mark, the Klipsch RB-81 II might be right up your alley. An initial glance at the design doesn't reveal any massive faults, and on the up side the RB-81 II shouldn't require an ultra-high powered amplifier to get going. My only big gripe from a quick glance is that I'm not fond of how Klipsch rates their speakers, particularly since it doesn't seem necessary here.

So what do you guys think? Anybody own a pair? Anybody interested in Joel putting a pair through the wringer?

RB81II.jpgRB81II Grille.jpg

Quick Specs
Dimensions: 19" H x 9.3" W x 12.3" D (with grille)
Weight: 27.5lbs (12.5kg)
Frequency Response: 44Hz-24KHz ± 3dB
High Frequency Crossover: 1400Hz
High Frequency Driver: 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horn
Low Frequency Driver: 8" (20.3cm) Cerametallic cone woofer
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms compatible
Sensitivity: 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Home Theater Magazine measured the original RB-81s and they turned out to be 91 dB sensitive. I think you could probably expect the same from these. I have no doubt it's a very powerful speaker though. To my ears the Reference series sound pretty good, although not nearly as good as La Scalas or Klipschorns. Still, I would love to have a pair of these RB-81s.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Home Theater Magazine measured the original RB-81s and they turned out to be 91 dB sensitive. I think you could probably expect the same from these.
More than likely. From my recollection of my days hanging around the Klipsch forums, it was stated that they came to their sensitivity ratings by adding 4dB to what they got in their anechoic chamber, though how they average the numbers versus Home Theater Mag probably accounts for the other 2dB.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Home Theater Magazine measured the original RB-81s and they turned out to be 91 dB sensitive. I think you could probably expect the same from these. I have no doubt it's a very powerful speaker though. To my ears the Reference series sound pretty good, although not nearly as good as La Scalas or Klipschorns. Still, I would love to have a pair of these RB-81s.
Klipsch has always been a bit overly optimistic of their sensitivity ratings. We wrote an article on this very topic (though not targeting any particular manufacturer):

Loudspeaker Sensitivity Specifications & Measurements Explained | Audioholics

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Could we get a all out review?? They look like great speakers for a bookshelf speaker. Im thinking of getting these speakers and forgoing a tower set up.. unless there are some mighty good towers for that kind of money.

S

Skylinestar

Enthusiast
I'm waiting for a full review too. I hope it's good for movies.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
About ready to enter the nursing home waiting on this review...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
About ready to enter the nursing home waiting on this review...
LOL! Do nursing homes allow you to bring Klipsch?!

Don't hold your breath!
This model was replaced by the RP-160m (they no longer offer an 8" woofer in this series), and the second generation of the RP-160m will be released later this year!

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic

Don't hold your breath!
This model was replaced by the RP-160m (they no longer offer an 8" woofer in this series),and the second generation of the RP-160m will be released later this year!
There's still a few around I could get. Most "reviews" are pure crap online, especially the ones that spend 20 minutes talking aesthetics and 1 min talking about sound quality. Don't even get me started on the clowns that only do unboxing videos or youtube video of them just playing some sound demo of an "audiophile" MP3 file. I was planning on using them as side and rear surrounds to compliment the RP II towers and center. I like them because they are front ported and of course, the 8" driver.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There's still a few around I could get. Most "reviews" are pure crap online, especially the ones that spend 20 minutes talking aesthetics and 1 min talking about sound quality. Don't even get me started on the clowns that only do unboxing videos or youtube video of them just playing some sound demo of an "audiophile" MP3 file. I was planning on using them as side and rear surrounds to compliment the RP II towers and center. I like them because they are front ported and of course, the 8" driver.
You don't like to listen to speakers through different speakers? Man, it's as if those YouTube reviews aren't very useful...

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It's too bad they no longer offer an 8" bookshelf, especially since the low xover points afforded by the horns allows seamless tweeter integration between bigger woofers. I'm not much for tower speakers, and an 8" driver has a lot more headroom than a 6.5", and dynamic headroom is why I like klipsch in the first place.

Don't hold your breath!
This model was replaced by the RP-160m (they no longer offer an 8" woofer in this series), and the second generation of the RP-160m will be released later this year!
Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I just grabbed 6 of the RB-81 II's for $289 each at Amazon. Will still need to wait till around December to unbox them and listen to them. My guess is they will make great mains with a nice sub and even more excellent surrounds to compliment my main theaters RF7 III's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis