C

crdbr2

Audiophyte
I know that this has been discussed many times but just curious to recommendations. I recently purchased a Denon 3600H and want to know what would be the recommended crossover setting for the Klipsch R26F speakers that on spec show that they can play down to 35hz? With that being said, would it still be the recommendation to set the crossover still at SMALL speaker and 80hz crossover?

Thanks for any input you could provide.

Gary

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. If I you are using subs, definitely set speakers to small. 80Hz crossover is a good starting point. Always wise to experiment a little and try above and below. In my system, 80 gave be a better all around experience. Some people push it as high as 110/120 Hz.

C

crdbr2

Audiophyte
Yes. If I you are using subs, definitely set speakers to small. 80Hz crossover is a good starting point. Always wise to experiment a little and try above and below. In my system, 80 gave be a better all around experience. Some people push it as high as 110/120 Hz.
Thank you for your quick response. If these are tower speakers, then 110/120 hz would be too high, correct - those settings are best for bookshelf or cube speakers? These are not Klipsch HIGH END but entry level speakers.
1588519032330.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's not about speaker quality, its about the sound quality that your speaker produces.
If you take away the higher energy demands of the Low Frequency reproduction, then that energy is focused at and above the XO frequency. By experimenting with different settings you can determine what sounds best. In my case, I started at 60, but when I tried 80, the Mid-range clarity picked up... subtle but definite. The bass response also improved, as the lower frequencies were passing off to the Sub a little sooner.
Setting your XOs is a balancing act. Ego is not part of the equation for a successful setup. I have Mains that can go into the upper 20s... I still cross at 80. Why? because the performance increase is noticeable.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My towers measure flat down to 20 hz in my room and for the longest time I was using 120 hz crossover. After a little bit of optimization I'm back to 80 again. Any lower than that and I feel like I'm losing a little detail and oomph in my upper bass and midrange.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally changing whatever your avr brand suggested after running Audyssey when using subs, if left up to Audyssey, would be to start with using bass management for all speakers (i.e. "small") and with a crossover to start of 80hz. Even as high a crossover as 110/120 can work well, it has for me. Depends on if you can localize your sub or not to an extent. Generally your subs are going to be more capable for lower bass frequencies than most "towers"....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis