klipsch R-112SW When Powering sub on the LED in the front panel lights up green for a Second and then in turns off

I

Ismael Delgado

Audiophyte
Hello,

I own a Klipsch R-112SW sub, my sub recently started acting up. When I turn the Sub ON the Led in the front panel lights up GREEN for a Second or two..then it shuts completely off... has anyone had this issue? if so, how can i solve this problem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like the amp is having issues, are you qualified to repair such? I looked at the "manual" which is pretty much useless. You might contact Klipsch customer service....they may just send you a new amp to install....

I

Ismael Delgado

Audiophyte
it is under warranty, however, i lost my receipt and fry's did not document my purchase because its been over a year. Klipsch is strict about repairs of any kind and want prove of purchase. Klipsch needs to step up their game in costumer service.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've read comments from those that merely phoned into Klipsch customer service and got replacement amps. Didn't work for you? I'm not talking about repair, altho taking the amp off the sub and sending it in for repair is far easier and more cost effective than the whole sub. Personally I'd at least take the amp off and see if theres something dumb like a loose wire that's easily taken care of.

I

Ismael Delgado

Audiophyte
That will only works by providing the receipt... I no longer have my receipt and fry’s can’t find it in there system. I appreciate your feed back.

I

Ismael Delgado

Audiophyte
I hope that it’s a loose wire that’s causing the shortage. I’m going to open it up today. Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No... now I realize that I should have.
I don't think it will make much difference. Those Klipsch sub amps are total junk and worthless. You are about the fourth report here of this, so I have spent considerable time researching it. It seems the failure rate of all Klipsch sub amps is 10% within the warranty period, and even higher shortly after. There are quite a few reports of replacement amps failing within months. So it is a waste of time even talking to Klipsch and replacing the amp, which they probably won't as they try and get out of honoring their warranty whenever possible.

I did manage to dig up the circuit for your amp and its garbage. Switching power supplies in sub amps are trouble devices as a class. This one is cynical. The whole concept is designed to hide the fact that they are actually trying to get away with a low powered device without it seeming like it.

Basically the power supply continuously varies voltage to input demand as the output devices won't take power for long. There is heavy use of a gated compressor/limiter, to control dynamic range and peaks, and I suspect this is more output stage protection, and an attempt to protect what is not actually a not very well made or robust driver.

I would say under the circumstances you have these options.

1). Drop it off at the recycling center. Then purchase a much higher quality sub, or better build one.

2). Leave the current amp in place and buy an external amp. This will require connecting the sub driver directly to a set of terminals you mount on the back.

3) Buy a higher quality plate amp and modify the box to take it. You must seal it well.

For option 2 and 3 you will need to be careful how much you put the pedal to the metal so to speak. This is because there will no longer be the gated compressor limiter, and so the driver might wilt.

It seems like option 2 is what most people choose to do who want to salvage the sub, with 3 close behind.

It seems these problems have surfaced relatively recently. My suspicion would be that it is connected to Klipsch being bought by the junk brand Audiovox.

I

Ismael Delgado

Audiophyte
I’m thinking about purchasing a new sub and swuaping out the amp and then return the sub... I just don’t know If company’s look at serial # when returning a product. Does any one know if they do?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m thinking about purchasing a new sub and swuaping out the amp and then return the sub... I just don’t know If company’s look at serial # when returning a product. Does any one know if they do?
That sounds like a very bad idea, and could get you charged with fraud. You can bet the serial numbers will be checked.

I would certainly not buy another of those subs, as you will be back to the same situation in no time.

Either get a different sub, or get a different amp to power the sub you have.
Or you can buy a new plate amp for your sub from the Speaker Exchange for $175. They are a very reliable and good company for speaker parts. You could then sell that sub or keep it until the next amp blows.

This would be your best solution though and last you a very long time. That would upgrade your existing sub a lot.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Pull the serial number and call the customer service. They can at least go by production date. Or by an external amp as @TLS Guy said.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis